Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,411 of 4,797
To reduce RF noise which pumps the noise floor up and down (noise floor modulation) which makes the sound brighter/more harsh, at least as it pertains to the conversation in the Hugo 2 thread. This is seperate from grounding issues.
Is there a difference between humming sound & grounding noise & RF noise ?

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #1,412 of 4,797
Is there a difference between humming sound & grounding noise & RF noise ?

The RF noise they are talking about is not obvious as noise. Like mentioned, it contributes to a brighter and harsher overal sound, not an audible noise like EMI from a cel phone or a hum from ground loops.

I suggest you ask for clarification in the Hugo 2 thread as this is the not the thread for this topic. The designer of the Hugo2 is active there and usually answers questions.

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #1,413 of 4,797
The RF noise they are talking about is not obvious as noise. Like mentioned, it contributes to a brighter and harsher overal sound, not an audible noise like EMI from a cel phone or a hum from ground loops.

I suggest you ask for clarification in the Hugo 2 thread as this is the not the thread for this topic. The designer of the Hugo2 is active there and usually answers questions.
Thanks .
Do you have the same problem with your LCD i4 & hugo 2?

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,414 of 4,797
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,415 of 4,797
Nope, not at all.
I don't have the humming sound on my MacBook pro ...but it's there on my iMac.
I have plugged my iMac into a belkin extension cord.
Anything to do with the power supply?
I am waiting for my usb cable with special EMI/ RFI resistant connectors.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,416 of 4,797
I don't have the humming sound on my MacBook pro ...but it's there on my iMac.
I have plugged my iMac into a belkin extension cord.
Anything to do with the power supply?
I am waiting for my usb cable with special EMI/ RFI resistant connectors.

Ground loops have everything to do with the power source (wall power) traveling through the audio chain.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,418 of 4,797
I've read the thread, but I still have a couple questions as there seems to be varying opinions. Obviously these leak sound, and let in sound, more than a traditional closed IEM. What I am wondering is would they be usable in a quiet(ish) room full of other people, and more importantly, could they be used on a plane? How much do they leak? Would it bother the person sitting next to you on an airplane?

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,419 of 4,797
I've read the thread, but I still have a couple questions as there seems to be varying opinions. Obviously these leak sound, and let in sound, more than a traditional closed IEM. What I am wondering is would they be usable in a quiet(ish) room full of other people, and more importantly, could they be used on a plane? How much do they leak? Would it bother the person sitting next to you on an airplane?

They will not bother the person next to you unless you are literally blasting them and surely not on a plane. I find they are useable on a plane. They are useable and very good in a mildly noisy room and optimal in a quiet room.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,420 of 4,797

They are fine in a room with moderate noise. I find that they do a decent job at drowning out noise while still letting me hear when someone is calling me. NO GO for a plane though. You need some ciem or noise canceling phones for that.

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #1,421 of 4,797

I think that in a quiet room it all depends on your volume level and the distance to the next person. These are OPEN, as open as the Utopia IMO.

Personally, I would not even consider these for listening on and an airplane because by the time you turn up the volume to drown out any engine noise you will be in dangerous listening level territory.

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #1,422 of 4,797
I think that in a quiet room it all depends on your volume level and the distance to the next person. These are OPEN, as open as the Utopia IMO.

Personally, I would not even consider these for listening on and an airplane because by the time you turn up the volume to drown out any engine noise you will be in dangerous listening level territory.
+1

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #1,423 of 4,797
The post you linked to has nothing to do with a grounding issue on the Hugo2.

The ferrite cores did the trick in my case.
Chord Hugo 2 + LCD i4 is DEAD QUIET.

20171204_175230.jpg

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,424 of 4,797
They do leak sound, but it won't a problem if you keep listening levels moderate. The only time I’ve had a problem was on a flight to Japan. Howevever I think that occasion was more about some dickhead’s passive aggressive vendetta against me after spotting talking to his wife at the bar. I haven’t tested them flying coach yet, but that will happen soon enough. Hell, I’m listening to them on a flight right now.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #1,425 of 4,797
They do leak sound, but it won't a problem if you keep listening levels moderate. The only time I’ve had a problem was on a flight to Japan. Howevever I think that occasion was more about some dickhead’s passive aggressive vendetta against me after spotting talking to his wife at the bar. I haven’t tested them flying coach yet, but that will happen soon enough. Hell, I’m listening to them on a flight right now.

I love my I4's but cannot conceive of using them on a noisy airplane flight...not a chance,for that I use something that actually blocks out noise like the 846's or etymotic's etc.....in order to even hear the music on a flight I would have to turn the volume so high that either i would harm my hearing or disturb my neighbors or both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back