Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 4, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #1,426 of 4,795
The ferrite cores did the trick in my case.
Chord Hugo 2 + LCD i4 is DEAD QUIET.

Colour me surprised! Glad you tried it and it sorted what you were hearing.

Enjoy!:)

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,427 of 4,795
I was wondering if the LCD i4 is mic compatible with:

-LCDi4+Cypher lightning cable+iphoneX, would the mic work?
-Also is there any third party cable with a mic that terminates with a 3.5mm jack compatible with the LCD i4?

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,430 of 4,795
Has anyone experimented with other tips 3rd party ear tips? My groovy ones seems to be dropping off or get stuck in my ears when I remove the i4s. I’d like to avoid complys. Don’t like the feel especially in hot weather conditions.

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #1,431 of 4,795
I was wondering if the LCD i4 is mic compatible with:

-LCDi4+Cypher lightning cable+iphoneX, would the mic work?
-Also is there any third party cable with a mic that terminates with a 3.5mm jack compatible with the LCD i4?

1. Yes, it works flawlessly
2. Yes, like the following cables. But the problem with these cables is, they won't apply the EQ and amplification like the cipher cable.

https://www.64audio.com/product/Cable-with-Mic

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...147.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.419c3c2bjvCu9N

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #1,432 of 4,795
Has anyone experimented with other tips 3rd party ear tips? My groovy ones seems to be dropping off or get stuck in my ears when I remove the i4s. I’d like to avoid complys. Don’t like the feel especially in hot weather conditions.

Thanks.

The only 3rd party tip I've managed to put on the i4 so far is the Spiral Dots. I can not say if the fit is better or worse. Just that it is slightly different from the fit I get with the stock tips.

Apart from the Spiral Dots, I know a member here who managed to get the Symbio Mandarin tips on to the nozzle. But it is a struggle and I personally haven't succeeded. I didn't try further as the Mandarin tips don't fit my ears anyways. The wide bore (CP100) Spin Fits can be mounted with some manipulation. But I haven't gone the distance to do that either, as I am skeptical if the fit would be considerably better than what I get with the spiral dots or the stock tips.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,433 of 4,795
image.jpg B7EBAC51-71EB-4D91-805F-494A01006594.jpeg 1E492A15-77C8-4F7E-8665-6A9BDCD444EF.jpeg

Thanks.
I picked these up in Japan. No name/brand on the packaging but damn near perfect fit.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,434 of 4,795
I love my I4's but cannot conceive of using them on a noisy airplane flight...not a chance,for that I use something that actually blocks out noise like the 846's or etymotic's etc.....in order to even hear the music on a flight I would have to turn the volume so high that either i would harm my hearing or disturb my neighbors or both!

Totally agree with this. To me the i4's are a bed listening IEM. Try wearing LCD-4s while lying on the bed and you quickly realize it isn't very practical. A soft pillow pushes the massive cups forwards and it feels odd. Furthermore although the i4 is open back, it outputs a lot less at typical listening volume than the LCD-4s. The i4 make for good traveling IEMs for when you reach a hotel room etc. But for a noisy plane, I think it is dangerous how loud you would need it to counter the engine and aircon noise. I simulated this by trying to listen next to an air conditioning unit and when I switched the aircon off I realized just how loud I had the volume.

Saying that, I have a newborn baby and the only headphone in my collection the wife currently lets me listen to in the bedroom are the Sony MDR-Z1Rs! :frowning2:

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #1,435 of 4,795
Totally agree with this. To me the i4's are a bed listening IEM. Try wearing LCD-4s while lying on the bed and you quickly realize it isn't very practical. A soft pillow pushes the massive cups forwards and it feels odd. Furthermore although the i4 is open back, it outputs a lot less at typical listening volume than the LCD-4s. The i4 make for good traveling IEMs for when you reach a hotel room etc. But for a noisy plane, I think it is dangerous how loud you would need it to counter the engine and aircon noise. I simulated this by trying to listen next to an air conditioning unit and when I switched the aircon off I realized just how loud I had the volume.

Saying that, I have a newborn baby and the only headphone in my collection the wife currently lets me listen to in the bedroom are the Sony MDR-Z1Rs! :frowning2:

It depends on the plane and where you are sitting. Upper deck towards the front of an A380, while not ideal, isn't all that bad. However, I'm not really attempting to do any critical listening while I'm airborne. I just want to enjoy the music with a sound I've become rather fond of. I find the lack of isolation when used in public helps with my undoubtedly insane inclinations toward paranoia and such.

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #1,437 of 4,795
1. Yes, it works flawlessly
2. Yes, like the following cables. But the problem with these cables is, they won't apply the EQ and amplification like the cipher cable.

https://www.64audio.com/product/Cable-with-Mic

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...147.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.419c3c2bjvCu9N

Now being an audiophile noob, would the LCDi4 theoretically sound better through:

-iphoneX -> cipher cable (with its built in dac) -> LCDi4?

or

-LG V30 (with its quad DAC) -> 64Audiocable with mic -> LCDi4?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,438 of 4,795
Now being an audiophile noob, would the LCDi4 theoretically sound better through:

-iphoneX -> cipher cable (with its built in dac) -> LCDi4?

or

-LG V30 (with its quad DAC) -> 64Audiocable with mic -> LCDi4?
IMHO any iphone -> cipher -> LCD-i4 should sound much better

I’ll try to summarize what I read and experienced so far..
The iSine10/20 and LCD-i4 were designed with linearity in mind which led to an almost complete lack of distortion.
Unfortunately, because of the above their frequency response is a bit off with some "bumps on the road" from what is universally considered good (headphone-target curve).

Although their frequency response is not ideal.. thanks to the very low distortion iSine/i4 reacts extremely well to EQ and DSP which Audeze integrated in to their Cipher cable to correct the tuning. (or as they call it "add another flavor"..)
I'm currently waiting for my free cipher for the LCD-i4 (great move Audeze!) so I cannot comment on how it sounds but.. LCD-i4 out of a Hugo 2 with and without DSP are two completely different experiences, and I now use DSP or EQ 100% of the time.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,439 of 4,795
Pleased to report that I’ve swapped the stock groove wear tips to the Spinfit CP100 and they work very well. It took a couple of tries to insert the tips onto LCDi4 but it works and the mount is secure unlike the stock groovy ones. I got fed up as the groovy tips got frequently stuck in my ears as I remove the LCDi4. The mount is not secure at all and seems to loosen over time.

The sound from the Spinfit seems very good - Listening to late night jazz as I type this with a grin from ear to ear.

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #1,440 of 4,795
Pleased to report that I’ve swapped the stock groove wear tips to the Spinfit CP100 and they work very well. It took a couple of tries to insert the tips onto LCDi4 but it works and the mount is secure unlike the stock groovy ones. I got fed up as the groovy tips got frequently stuck in my ears as I remove the LCDi4. The mount is not secure at all and seems to loosen over time.

The sound from the Spinfit seems very good - Listening to late night jazz as I type this with a grin from ear to ear.

How did you get them on there? I've tried to no success, lol. I'm loving the Groovy Tips but will try the new Spinfit CP155 when they release this month. I contacted Spinfit and the mass availability is mid-december.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back