Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 9, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #3,016 of 4,798
Deep low bass from earphones or headphones? I think it will become possible only with big and well-made speakers.
Like Wilson Audio's big speakers.
Think again, you need to try the LCDi4 :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #3,018 of 4,798
I'm trying new AUDEZE Reveal+ Plug-in with JRiverMediaCenter25.Using my LCDi4. About Aural Map, only Ambience can be operated. For this is a trial version.
Is there anyone trying this plug-in with LCDi4?

rplus.JPG

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3,021 of 4,798
Go to Audeze.com and search reveal. Go to software section and it will be there. They also have the old reveal plugin so make sure you are not on that page. Add to cart as trial and checkout.

Thanks I tried the search but it only turned up the legacy plugin. If I go to the software section the new plugin is there as you said.

I'll get a chance to try it out later today.

I'm curious too to hear impressions if anyone has tried it yet.

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #3,022 of 4,798
Thanks I tried the search but it only turned up the legacy plugin. If I go to the software section the new plugin is there as you said.

I'll get a chance to try it out later today.

I'm curious too to hear impressions if anyone has tried it yet.

All right. AUDEZE account is needed to download Reveal+ Plug-in. If you have the account, go to this page https://www.audeze.com/products/reveal
Log in and select Reveal Plus Trial Version. Then push the blue Add Reveal+ button. And you can purchase the trial version, it's free.
After you finish the procedure, AUDEZE let you know the download page by e-mail. Please try it and write the impression.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #3,023 of 4,798
Roon w/para EQ - Qobuz 96/24 - Sara Bareilles/Live - WA11...w/the i4...

Portable WOW.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #3,024 of 4,798
Deep low bass from earphones or headphones? I think it will become possible only with big and well-made speakers.
Like Wilson Audio's big speakers.

You premise is wrong. We can not compare loudspeakers and headphones. At least not a headphones only discussion board.

Full range loudspeakers, those that measure at least 20Hz at -3dB (like Wilson Audio Grand Slam) resonate abdominal and chest cavity. You feel the lowest octaves more than your ears are able to hear. No headgear can do this, because headgear is connected to listener's ears only.

Audeze i4, and over ear LCD series will reproduce 20Hz at least -3dB, they need boost from Equaliser or DSP, but they reproduce 20Hz without noticable harmonic distortion. Easiest way to test this is frequency generator, and running test tones.

If you want to experience body's physical reaction to low frequency audio, you need loudspeakers, and no need for Wilson Audio's $$$ loudspeakers, get a decent subwoofer that's flat to 20Hz. This here is headgear forum.

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #3,025 of 4,798
What do you want for headphones? I don't want my LCDi4 bass slam. And I disrespect the low quality bass sound of only amount.
Wilson Audio's big speakers has very punchy powerful bass. The sound is worth the price. Subwoofers? Out of questions.
Only spec. Don't abuse the great speakers. I think LCDi4's bass reproduction ability is superb. But it is other story.
I don't want bass slam for earphones nor headphones.

Nov 11, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #3,026 of 4,798
What do you want for headphones? I don't want my LCDi4 bass slam. And I disrespect the low quality bass sound of only amount.
Wilson Audio's big speakers has very punchy powerful bass. The sound is worth the price. Subwoofers? Out of questions.
Only spec. Don't abuse the great speakers. I think LCDi4's bass reproduction ability is superb. But it is other story.
I don't want bass slam for earphones nor headphones.

As I said earlier, you can not get the 'visceral' bass from headphones, from any headphones. Audeze i4 can easily be equalized to be flat at 20Hz, you can't ask more from any audio transducer.

You say subwoofers are out of the question, I'm going to give you an example how Wilson Audio approaches low frequency response in their loudspeaker design. Many other hi end loudspeaker designs are similar - low frequency unit is physically separated from mid and high frequency modules. That low frequency module is a subwoofer.
Wilson Watts, often stated the bestselling hi end loudspeaker of all time. Design is over 25 years old, currently in its 8th reincarnation, Wilson W Puppy 8 ($28.000, 4 driver, floor standing full range loudspeaker). You can buy monitor and bass module (subwoofer) separately, if you only need a, say, mini monitor. Watt is a 2 way monitor, and it sits on top of a subwoofer - Puppy. Watt was initially designed by Dave Wilson as stand alone monitor. It cost around $5000 in late 80s, when released, mind-blowing amount for small 2 way mini monitor. People wanted more bass, Dave Wilson designed a subwoofer for Puppies. Since then the Watt and Puppy's are sold together, together they form a full range loudspeaker.
But since you mentioned Wilson Audio, you must know that all Wilson's TOTL loudspeaker systems have bass enclosure separated from other drivers, Wilson WAMM, Wilson Grand Slam. This is to prevent inevitable low frequency resonances affecting mid range driver and tweeter enclosures.

All Dynaudio top models, the Confidence range floor standing speakers have bass drivers in completely separate enclosure, i.e, subwoofers are separated from mid and high frequency enclosures.

Wilson Watt Puppy 5, note the monitor (Watt) sits on top of a separate subwoofer (Puppy):

wattpup5.jpg

Nov 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #3,028 of 4,798
As I said earlier, you can not get the 'visceral' bass from headphones, from any headphones. Audeze i4 can easily be equalized to be flat at 20Hz, you can't ask more from any audio transducer.

You say subwoofers are out of the question, I'm going to give you an example how Wilson Audio approaches low frequency response in their loudspeaker design. Many other hi end loudspeaker designs are similar - low frequency unit is physically separated from mid and high frequency modules. That low frequency module is a subwoofer.
Wilson Watts, often stated the bestselling hi end loudspeaker of all time. Design is over 25 years old, currently in its 8th reincarnation, Wilson W Puppy 8 ($28.000, 4 driver, floor standing full range loudspeaker). You can buy monitor and bass module (subwoofer) separately, if you only need a, say, mini monitor. Watt is a 2 way monitor, and it sits on top of a subwoofer - Puppy. Watt was initially designed by Dave Wilson as stand alone monitor. It cost around $5000 in late 80s, when released, mind-blowing amount for small 2 way mini monitor. People wanted more bass, Dave Wilson designed a subwoofer for Puppies. Since then the Watt and Puppy's are sold together, together they form a full range loudspeaker.
But since you mentioned Wilson Audio, you must know that all Wilson's TOTL loudspeaker systems have bass enclosure separated from other drivers, Wilson WAMM, Wilson Grand Slam. This is to prevent inevitable low frequency resonances affecting mid range driver and tweeter enclosures.

All Dynaudio top models, the Confidence range floor standing speakers have bass drivers in completely separate enclosure, i.e, subwoofers are separated from mid and high frequency enclosures.

Wilson Watt Puppy 5, note the monitor (Watt) sits on top of a separate subwoofer (Puppy):

Just stop it. Puppy is a "woofer" unit. When the watt+puppy system started, Wilson made subwoofer "WHOW". I listened to watt+puppy+whow system some times.
And asked Mr.David Wilson why whow is needed. His answer was psycho acoustically it contributed to the system.
Anyway don't talk about Wilson Audio with insufficient knowledge. I met Mr.David Wilson some times. He was gentle and good guy.
This topic is not good for this thread. Stop it.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #3,029 of 4,798
I'm trying new AUDEZE Reveal+ Plug-in with JRiverMediaCenter25.Using my LCDi4. About Aural Map, only Ambience can be operated. For this is a trial version.
Is there anyone trying this plug-in with LCDi4?

I tried it out last night. At first use - I'm not a real big fan of what the "Aural Map" is doing with the top end of my music. Gives me that nighclub bathroom kind of vibe. I've tried all the angles and can't find one that is a good compromise. I feel like it is taking too much away from the original track.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #3,030 of 4,798
I tried it out last night. At first use - I'm not a real big fan of what the "Aural Map" is doing with the top end of my music. Gives me that nighclub bathroom kind of vibe. I've tried all the angles and can't find one that is a good compromise. I feel like it is taking too much away from the original track.
Thank you for the report. I still have only vague idea of Reveal+. I have to do more. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back