Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #3,001 of 4,796
After careful consideration, I've opted to buy the LCDi3 instead of i4. I'll probably always wonder how good the i4 really is, but I think it makes more sense at this moment for my wallet.

Hope I'm not too regretful.
I think as long as you don't sit down and do a comparison, you will absolutely behappywith the i3. I completely LOVED my ISine 20 for well over a year, went to an audio shop and sat in a room just listening to headphones, and had the bright idea to spend some time with the i4 along with my ISine 20, just for fun. I did it for an hour going back and forth, trying to convince myself the differences weren't huge, and that I was happy with my 20. I was lying to myself. 2mo later I found a B stock i4 on sale for $1700, justified it in my head calling it MY end game, and here I am now. Still my absolute favorite, but I have also purchased a Solaris since then. I call it my closed back open back one two punch. However, nothing really stands up to the i4 so I can't go from i4 to Solaris right away cuz it's mildly disappointing, lol.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #3,002 of 4,796
Today marks my 365th day of owning the i4s, they are still absolutely my favorite, no other headphones have the combination of soundstage, deep tight bass, smooth vocals, portability, comfort, and yes I mean comfort
initially when I went through and tried all the hooks, earlocks, none of them fit well, my ears started hurting after 30 mins,
so I just took it into my own hands and made my own headband (you might have seen this before but I finally remembered to upload the 3d files)
YAjUtVd.png

kxBl4aB.png

IaT27ga.png

It might look jank, but with this setup I can wear them for over 8 hours non stop, there is no more sore spots, the eartips are basically floating in my ears, the weight of the headphones is spread across my head like regular headphones, except unlike regular full size LCDs these don't weigh 50 tons, I can comfortably say these are way comfier than all planar headphones out there just due to weight alone
rUBRk82.png

iF5m9zu.png

if anyone wants to play around with the models:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EkSwqQlRL7YS-RG4rMlu5nWd5sBgqx3l
you'll also need some m2 screws to secure the hook piece to the main band

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #3,003 of 4,796
Today marks my 365th day of owning the i4s, they are still absolutely my favorite, no other headphones have the combination of soundstage, deep tight bass, smooth vocals, portability, comfort, and yes I mean comfort
initially when I went through and tried all the hooks, earlocks, none of them fit well, my ears started hurting after 30 mins,
so I just took it into my own hands and made my own headband (you might have seen this before but I finally remembered to upload the 3d files)
YAjUtVd.png

kxBl4aB.png

IaT27ga.png

It might look jank, but with this setup I can wear them for over 8 hours non stop, there is no more sore spots, the eartips are basically floating in my ears, the weight of the headphones is spread across my head like regular headphones, except unlike regular full size LCDs these don't weigh 50 tons, I can comfortably say these are way comfier than all planar headphones out there just due to weight alone
rUBRk82.png

iF5m9zu.png

Don't know if you've tried them but for nearly everyone, the NEW earhooks are supremely comfortable, due to their new shape. I've worn for 12hrs+ without issue

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #3,004 of 4,796
Don't know if you've tried them but for nearly everyone, the NEW earhooks are supremely comfortable, due to their new shape. I've worn for 12hrs+ without issue
Yeah I've tried them too, actually at the beginning I tried modding the old hooks by heating and bending them, the result was pretty close to the new hooks

anyways the new ones are indeed much more comfortable, the only issue I have with them is that they don't stay secured in my ears too well, when I move my head they wiggle around too much for my liking, it's ok when I stay completely still or sitting down but not if I wanna get up and walk around, it's good that audeze listened and updated the hooks tho

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #3,006 of 4,796
YAjUtVd.png

kxBl4aB.png

IaT27ga.png

rUBRk82.png

iF5m9zu.png

very nice except that the I4 is meant to be a portable solution and this setup negates that for the most part

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #3,009 of 4,796
How are the LCDi4 with EDM and genres which have a sub bass rumble, can these deliver that deep low head shaking bass?

I have never heard bass depth/resolution/detail and slam from an in-ear headphone like the LCDi4.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #3,010 of 4,796
Hi

I've been listening to my i4 on a pretty regular basis, like daily. They are my bedroom system (sorry but I am afraid of dropping or losing them so they stay home).

Yes, they are comfortable and sound terrific, especially the soundstage. That being said I still prefer the sound of the LCD-XC. I picked them up this afternoon and was blown away again. Maybe the stage was a little more closed in, but to my ears the sound was top drawer.

No, you can't have the i4 back, it's marvelous. The XC with the Lynx Hilo and the Phonetor amp run balanced hard to walk away from, go to go to work in the morning, Damm.... Another late night.

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #3,012 of 4,796
Cheers. I'm very close to purchasing them. But then I came across this 25 minute review who thinks LCDi4 is rubbish. He really criticises them. Most other reviews have been positive, but does this reviewer have a point?

Disregard this review. Disregard any single review, go with what's considered top of the line by wider community, if you are spending $2000.

Here is my review: Audeze i4 are the best IEM, the only competition are Shure Electrostatic IEMs. If you need near complete isolation from surrounding, Shure may be for you. LCD i4 sit on your ear canal, they 'breath'. Shures are inside ear canal, they isolate you. It may depend how and where you use your iems.

Audeze i4 and Shure KSE are pinnacle of IEMs, nothing else is really in the game, people with 12 Armatures stacked together iems haven't come around to that fact yet. Both Planar and Electrostatic IEM are relatively new technologies when it comes to iem.

You will be wise to disregard my review, too, of course.

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #3,013 of 4,796
Here is my review: Audeze i4 are the best IEM,...... If you need near complete isolation from surrounding.........

Then just put on these puppies on top of them !!

81sfVpiU79L._SX466_.jpg

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #3,014 of 4,796
Anyone ever compare the i4 vs JH Layla? I’m debating between the two, and wondering thoughts from anyone that has experience with the both of them.

If you don't need the isolation, go with the LCDi4...best in-ears I've had in my ears. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back