Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 13, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #3,031 of 4,795
I agree! Comparing loudspeakers and headphones have no place here.You brought it up, it would never occur to me to compare head gear, and loudspeakers.
You specifically brought up Wilson Audio, and I am very familiar with Wilson loudspeakers. All I did is a reply - yes, Audeze LCD i4 IEM reproduce low bass as well as full range Wilson Audio loudspeakers - flat to 20Hz.

Remember, what you stated:

Deep low bass from earphones or headphones? I think it will become possible only with big and well-made speakers.
Like Wilson Audio's big speakers.

The answer is yes, LCDi4 can easily reproduce what you call 'deep low bass'. It is possible to get full frequency range 20Hz - 20kHz from, Audeze i4 do it with ease, and very likely with lower distortion figures than loudspeakers. Audeze Planar Magnetic designs have very, very low distortion.
Please don't be upset, I just answered your question, I gave you my opinion about loudspeakers vs headphones.

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #3,032 of 4,795
I tried it out last night. At first use - I'm not a real big fan of what the "Aural Map" is doing with the top end of my music. Gives me that nighclub bathroom kind of vibe. I've tried all the angles and can't find one that is a good compromise. I feel like it is taking too much away from the original track.

Thanks for trying Reveal+.

Did you upload a picture of your ear using the Audeze HQ app and download your HRTF to the Reveal+ plugin? If not, you are using a generic HRTF profile and that wont sound correct. The idea behind Aural Map is to use your HRTF and combine it our reference room response. Typically one would do this by sitting in the room and using in-ear mic to record the room and HRTF. Aural Map, gets around this by using Machine Learning to get your HRTF from a picture of your ear.

Reveal+ uses HRTF aware presets. What that means is when you enable the Aural Map, the presets used are different than when you disable Aural Map. The HRTF aware preset is tuned to retain the target response even when Aural map is turned on. However, right now in our excitement to get this out we have only a single preset that is applied to any headphone you choose and that works best with our full sized open headphones. We will be adding HRTF aware presets for all models very soon.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #3,033 of 4,795
Thanks for trying Reveal+.

Did you upload a picture of your ear using the Audeze HQ app and download your HRTF to the Reveal+ plugin? If not, you are using a generic HRTF profile and that wont sound correct. The idea behind Aural Map is to use your HRTF and combine it our reference room response. Typically one would do this by sitting in the room and using in-ear mic to record the room and HRTF. Aural Map, gets around this by using Machine Learning to get your HRTF from a picture of your ear.

Reveal+ uses HRTF aware presets. What that means is when you enable the Aural Map, the presets used are different than when you disable Aural Map. The HRTF aware preset is tuned to retain the target response even when Aural map is turned on. However, right now in our excitement to get this out we have only a single preset that is applied to any headphone you choose and that works best with our full sized open headphones. We will be adding HRTF aware presets for all models very soon.

Hello KMann,

Yes, I did take a photo (which is a pain to do solo. Check out how the Sony app does their ear photo - might be something to look into for the future of this app). I've tried my specific HRTF compared the the Generic one and it is a night and day difference in sound. With my profile, everything gets much darker and it becomes bass forward. Turning it off doesn't reduce the bass, it just removes the veil from the top-end. It reminds me of how the Audioquest Nighthawk sounds in a way.

I might try to upload a new photo of my other ear and see if that changes anything. The ear I took a photo of has a piercing and I'm not sure if that causes any issues.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #3,034 of 4,795
Hello KMann,

Yes, I did take a photo (which is a pain to do solo. Check out how the Sony app does their ear photo - might be something to look into for the future of this app). I've tried my specific HRTF compared the the Generic one and it is a night and day difference in sound. With my profile, everything gets much darker and it becomes bass forward. Turning it off doesn't reduce the bass, it just removes the veil from the top-end. It reminds me of how the Audioquest Nighthawk sounds in a way.

I might try to upload a new photo of my other ear and see if that changes anything. The ear I took a photo of has a piercing and I'm not sure if that causes any issues.
Which headphone were you using? The HRTF aware presets were designed for full sized open Audeze's, if you used a i4 or any of the iSine series it will loose a lot of energy in the presence and upper mids. This is because we compensate this region to avoid a 'double HRTF' effect.

That is interesting, it is hard to predict how ML algorithms respond to 'extraneous' objects. I will pass it along to the Embody team. Please PM me your registred email

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #3,036 of 4,795
I am using the LCD-i4. I don't believe any of the presets work with a LCD-2 (Original Run / Non-Fazor, etc. etc.)
The Reveal presets are different when the Aural map is turned on vs Turned off. Right now when aural map is turned on, the same preset is applied for all headphones and it works best with our full sized open headphones as the all have similar signature. You will get better results with the LCD-2 than i4.

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #3,037 of 4,795
Which headphone were you using? The HRTF aware presets were designed for full sized open Audeze's, if you used a i4 or any of the iSine series it will loose a lot of energy in the presence and upper mids. This is because we compensate this region to avoid a 'double HRTF' effect.

@KMann, it seems then that the aural map function might have limited effectiveness for the iSine, i4, i3 series, especially as those phones don't interact with the outer ear. Is that correct?

At any rate, I can't seem to enable the aural map feature. When I select the tab the drop down menus are greyed out. I assumed that was because I hadn't uploaded a picture for an HRTF. There is a small circle on the aural map tab. If it is clear can I be sure that the HRTF functions are not active?

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #3,038 of 4,795
@KMann, it seems then that the aural map function might have limited effectiveness for the iSine, i4, i3 series, especially as those phones don't interact with the outer ear. Is that correct?
No in fact it is sort of the opposite. The pinna and concha response is missing in in ears but the HRTF you upload has this information and is added back. If anything in-ears should actually work even better. However right now, the generic preset have in place works better for full sized headphones and overcompensates for in-ears. Once we add Aural map presets for i4/i3/iSine you will notice big difference.

At any rate, I can't seem to enable the aural map feature. When I select the tab the drop down menus are greyed out.
Once you uploaded a picture, you should have gotten a license in your email. You will then press the get HRTF button to select the license (.evr file) file and once the license is applied the drop downs become active.

I would suggest starting with an ambiance set to between 35-40% and choose the 65 degree angle.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #3,040 of 4,795
A solid blue dot means the Aural Map is engaged and no "light" means it is off. When I first installed it, that "light" was flashing on/off until I clicked directly in the "light" and not on the tab. It was not as intuitive to figure out as the basic reveal plugin. @KMann - thank you for the tips. I will try it out with my LCD-2.1 tonight and see how that works out.

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #3,041 of 4,795
No in fact it is sort of the opposite. The pinna and concha response is missing in in ears but the HRTF you upload has this information and is added back. If anything in-ears should actually work even better. However right now, the generic preset have in place works better for full sized headphones and overcompensates for in-ears. Once we add Aural map presets for i4/i3/iSine you will notice big difference.

@KMann. I see, that's fantastic! In that case I have a few more questions if you please.

When do you expect the aural maps for the in ear Audeze's to be added?

Does the mix setting in the preset section also affect how much of the aural map effect is applied?

The pinnae of my right ear and left ear have significantly different shapes. Will that distort the effectiveness of the aural map?

Lastly, how long will the trial version be active?

Thanks KMann!

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #3,042 of 4,795
I agree! Comparing loudspeakers and headphones have no place here.You brought it up, it would never occur to me to compare head gear, and loudspeakers.
You specifically brought up Wilson Audio, and I am very familiar with Wilson loudspeakers. All I did is a reply - yes, Audeze LCD i4 IEM reproduce low bass as well as full range Wilson Audio loudspeakers - flat to 20Hz.

Remember, what you stated:

The answer is yes, LCDi4 can easily reproduce what you call 'deep low bass'. It is possible to get full frequency range 20Hz - 20kHz from, Audeze i4 do it with ease, and very likely with lower distortion figures than loudspeakers. Audeze Planar Magnetic designs have very, very low distortion.
Please don't be upset, I just answered your question, I gave you my opinion about loudspeakers vs headphones.

Do you understand what I said? I told to stop it. You should know better. It is not a topic for discussion. That is what one person feels. And I don't believe you are familiar with Wilson Audio's speakers.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #3,043 of 4,795
When do you expect the aural maps for the in ear Audeze's to be added?
I hope within a month.
Does the mix setting in the preset section also affect how much of the aural map effect is applied?
Ambiance is the best way to control the amount of room or you can turn off Aural Map.
The mix setting will control the amount of preset filter applied. And now that you asked, and I think about it, if you turn the preset mix to 100% dry, it may work better with i3/i4/iSines

The pinnae of my right ear and left ear have significantly different shapes. Will that distort the effectiveness of the aural map?
The ML algorithms are trained to predict asymmetry but in in some extreme cases I can see them get it wrong and it is hard to say, only your ears can be the judge there :)

Lastly, how long will the trial version be active?
14 days but we can extend it on request.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #3,044 of 4,795
I hope within a month.
Ambiance is the best way to control the amount of room or you can turn off Aural Map.
The mix setting will control the amount of preset filter applied. And now that you asked, and I think about it, if you turn the preset mix to 100% dry, it may work better with i3/i4/iSines
The ML algorithms are trained to predict asymmetry but in in some extreme cases I can see them get it wrong and it is hard to say, only your ears can be the judge there :)
14 days but we can extend it on request.

Thanks @KMann!

I'm excited to try it out, but I think I'll wait until the dedicated i4 preset is available. Since I already installed the plugin, I may have to ask for an extension whenever the preset is complete.

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #3,045 of 4,795

Once you uploaded a picture, you should have gotten a license in your email. You will then press the get HRTF button to select the license (.evr file) file and once the license is applied the drop downs become active.

I would suggest starting with an ambiance set to between 35-40% and choose the 65 degree angle.

Just wanted to confirm - the Aural Map works much better with the LCD-2. Thank you for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back