Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #2,971 of 4,791
The fact that these are semi-open and don't seal my ear canal as much as a regular IEM is a real game changer for me.
I spend most of my time having in ears in at work and sealing the canal all the time really takes its toll.
Initially I thought of getting a pair of isine 20's for work but now I figure why not just go for LCD-i4 and use it as my open back headphone at home (I know it can't replace it but it's pretty darn close).

However I'm now trying to understand what the best portable setup is that I could build around this in ear while remaining portable?
For the time I have a SP1000M but I don't see that working out well as it can't use reveal plugin or EQ very well.
Currently I have a Samsung smartphone but I'd be open to switching to iOS in the future perhaps.

Anyone got any recommendations for an excellent pairing?
One of the devices I was considering was the Mojo / Poly and using an EQ app on android (iOS I guess I can use the standard Audeze presets).
Do I gain much from using Mojo / Poly + EQ or presets over the iphone + cipher cable?
An other option is the IFI Micro IDSD Black Label (I use that today)

Kind regards

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #2,972 of 4,791
The fact that these are semi-open and don't seal my ear canal as much as a regular IEM is a real game changer for me.
I spend most of my time having in ears in at work and sealing the canal all the time really takes its toll.
Initially I thought of getting a pair of isine 20's for work but now I figure why not just go for LCD-i4 and use it as my open back headphone at home (I know it can't replace it but it's pretty darn close).

However I'm now trying to understand what the best portable setup is that I could build around this in ear while remaining portable?
For the time I have a SP1000M but I don't see that working out well as it can't use reveal plugin or EQ very well.
Currently I have a Samsung smartphone but I'd be open to switching to iOS in the future perhaps.

One of the devices I was considering was the Mojo / Poly and using an EQ app on android (iOS I guess I can use the standard Audeze presets).
Do I gain much from using Mojo / Poly + EQ or presets over the iphone + cipher cable?

Kind regards
the cypher cable is pretty damn good, and convenient.
also, the ES100 has an app with EQ (system wide no less) that works pretty well with the lcdi4.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #2,973 of 4,791
(iOS I guess I can use the standard Audeze presets).

I use cipher cable + iphone mostly as well, though I think the Fiio M11 with the Anker USB-C->Lightning converter + cipher cable sounds a bit better. The Fiio just seems to push more power through the cipher cable which opens it up some. Maybe it could just be a volume thing?...I haven't done a detailed comparison

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,974 of 4,791

Kind regards
Check out my profile pic. That's a monolith portable DAC/Amp with iPhone 7 on other side. I listen to Tidal Music and use the Monolith low shelf for the low end ew, and the 3 band parametric eq to dial in the other necessary fixes to the FR. I also have cipher, but it can't touch this. Also own a mojo, but the eq in this DAC makes it the optimal portable solution for best SQ, IMO.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #2,975 of 4,791
Ok so I eventually caved for the open and airy sound and I've been absolutely in love with them.
However I'm now trying to improve comfort as much as possible.
I have smaller ear canals so I've ordered a pair of small spinfits CP155 and I'm now looking at the ear hooks.
Is there any way to make them more durable or flexibile or any third party ones you people may recommend?
I'm a bit afraid of the plastic hooks as my 2nd hand model I bought came with hooks that were already 'cracked' and thus I assume they aren't very durable.

TL;DR: What's the best (comfort + durability) Audeze or third party ear hook or ear fin to pair the LCDI4 with for smaller ears? :)

Thanks

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #2,976 of 4,791
Ok so I eventually caved for the open and airy sound and I've been absolutely in love with them.
However I'm now trying to improve comfort as much as possible.
I have smaller ear canals so I've ordered a pair of small spinfits CP155 and I'm now looking at the ear hooks.
Is there any way to make them more durable or flexibile or any third party ones you people may recommend?
I'm a bit afraid of the plastic hooks as my 2nd hand model I bought came with hooks that were already 'cracked' and thus I assume they aren't very durable.

TL;DR: What's the best (comfort + durability) Audeze or third party ear hook or ear fin to pair the LCDI4 with for smaller ears? :)

Thanks

To my knowledge they changed up the hooks over time - they seem to be less stiff/brittle than before, and they are also curved now for better fit and comfort. I would order a new set from them to compare - totally worth it imho.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,977 of 4,791
Oct 28, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,978 of 4,791
There are no 3rd party earhooks. If there is an authorised Audeze dealer locally, you should get in touch with them and try to get this kit:

https://www.audeze.com/collections/accessories/products/isine-accessory-kit

It has the ear-fins and the new curved ear-hooks. You might find one of these more comfortable compared to the straight ear-hooks.

Thanks guys, I ordered a pair straight from Audeze as well as the cipher cable for LCDI4 (I hope it's the V2 then).
I'm hoping the things that go in your ear will fit great :)

Also, just a question, how high or low on your ear do your in ear monitors typically sit?
I can like depending on the insertion put them higher or lower and adjust the earhook accordingly?
I get a seal pretty easily because I have very small ears so I'm trying to get an idea of how to best insert them :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,979 of 4,791
I've found that the hooks only break when you're taking them off and putting them back on so that everything will fit in that stupid case. So, I've completely ditched that case for a Pelican 1040 with the foam insert instead. Here's how it all looks: https://imgur.com/a/Kh79C1Q

Nov 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #2,982 of 4,791
I have an SP1KM and Hugo2, I use both with the LCDi4. They both sound great, I like on the AK I can EQ a little to get closer to the adjusted curve. Having said that, I think they sound great straight out the H2 so I tend to use both; Hugo2 if I can or if I want something super transportable then I’ll just go with the AK.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #2,985 of 4,791
I have an SP1KM and Hugo2, I use both with the LCDi4. They both sound great, I like on the AK I can EQ a little to get closer to the adjusted curve. Having said that, I think they sound great straight out the H2 so I tend to use both; Hugo2 if I can or if I want something super transportable then I’ll just go with the AK.

What EQ do you run on the cipher by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back