Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Apr 26, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,656 of 4,796
Crinkling sound is quite common and is mostly harmless, as long as it is not too loud and doesn't happen when music is playing. On my unit, it is minimal and I hear it only when I am wearing the i4. My first unit had much louder crinkling and Audeze replaced the unit. If bass notes make the crinkling audible, then it sounds like a defective unit. Probably best to return the unit or contact Audeze for exchange.
It's not a crinkling but almost a static with sub bass notes. It only occurs with certain songs. I can live with it, so far...

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #2,658 of 4,796
After much deliberation and searching, I finally picked up an LCDi4 B-stock unit from an Audeze authorized dealer a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the unit had excessive "crinkling" in one of the drivers from the moment I put them on, so awesome Audeze customer service replaced it with a new B-stock unit.

The sound is incredible so far, but I'm hearing some driver rattle from the left driver only. This really only occurs when there is general silence in the track except for low bass notes. For instance, in the track "Got to Keep On" by the Chemical Brothers, from 5:00 to the end of the song at 5:16, I can hear it when the bass thumps. I've had driver rattle before in some of my headphones (HE400S), but I feel like this should not occur in a $1000 unit, especially since it doesn't occur in the right driver.

Have any other LCDi4 users experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

audeze has the best customer service I have experienced, simply wonderful

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #2,659 of 4,796
After much deliberation and searching, I finally picked up an LCDi4 B-stock unit from an Audeze authorized dealer a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the unit had excessive "crinkling" in one of the drivers from the moment I put them on, so awesome Audeze customer service replaced it with a new B-stock unit.

The sound is incredible so far, but I'm hearing some driver rattle from the left driver only. This really only occurs when there is general silence in the track except for low bass notes. For instance, in the track "Got to Keep On" by the Chemical Brothers, from 5:00 to the end of the song at 5:16, I can hear it when the bass thumps. I've had driver rattle before in some of my headphones (HE400S), but I feel like this should not occur in a $1000 unit, especially since it doesn't occur in the right driver.

Have any other LCDi4 users experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
The i4 actually retails for $2,499. And while we're on this topic, I do feel that the fit and finish is lacking for a product at this level. My Audeze logo came off twice and I had to krazy glue it back on - that's a little krazy...

Also, the fit and finish of the headphone seams where the front and back connects is lacking if you ask me; it looks like they were hand-glued together which might be the case. In any case, I'm nitpicking because the sound is really great.

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #2,660 of 4,796
The i4 actually retails for $2,499. And while we're on this topic, I do feel that the fit and finish is lacking for a product at this level. My Audeze logo came off twice and I had to krazy glue it back on - that's a little krazy...

Also, the fit and finish of the headphone seams where the front and back connects is lacking if you ask me; it looks like they were hand-glued together which might be the case. In any case, I'm nitpicking because the sound is really great.
Yes they were hand-glued

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #2,661 of 4,796
Apr 29, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2,663 of 4,796
It's not a crinkling but almost a static with sub bass notes. It only occurs with certain songs. I can live with it, so far...
Well, interestingly, the crinkling/static went away after I EQ'ed my SP1000: increased the 3K freq. and also slightly increased the freq. around it. This did the trick and really increased the quality of sound.

This is one song where the bass track was causing my i4s to vibrate and crackle:

After I EQ'd, it pretty much went away...interesting.

Even more impressed with the i4s. It is around 85% of my top tier headphone and a testament to Audeze's headphone technology.

FYI, using EA's Thor II, 8-wire braid bespoke - amazing cable, btw.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #2,664 of 4,796
Well, interestingly, the crinkling/static went away after I EQ'ed my SP1000: increased the 3K freq. and also slightly increased the freq. around it. This did the trick and really increased the quality of sound.

This is one song where the bass track was causing my i4s to vibrate and crackle:

After I EQ'd, it pretty much went away...interesting.

Even more impressed with the i4s. It is around 85% of my top tier headphone and a testament to Audeze's headphone technology.

FYI, using EA's Thor II, 8-wire braid bespoke - amazing cable, btw.

Beautiful song. I listened to this on my i4 and while I didn’t get anything like crinkling/static whatsoever I do hear pretty bad dynamic range compression in the track, something her albums are known for.

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #2,668 of 4,796
Cipher Bluetooth Cable? I find the EQ correction to far outweigh any loss of SQ from BT.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #2,669 of 4,796
IMHO, the i4s shine with desktop amps but I digress.

I use them with my iFi micro BL and they sound pretty good; this portable amp has enough juice to power the i4s well.

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #2,670 of 4,796
Cipher Bluetooth Cable? I find the EQ correction to far outweigh any loss of SQ from BT.

Is this out yet for the i4? I was looking forward to it, though still iffy on Apple's no LDAC, no APT-X on their phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back