Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Apr 29, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #2,671 of 4,796
Looking for suggestions
In the market for good pairing devices (portable) for these iem’s

Thanks
Tough to beat Hugo2 with i4. Not the most portable, but they sound like they were made for each other.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #2,672 of 4,796
Looking for suggestions
In the market for good pairing devices (portable) for these iem’s

Thanks
I second @sorrick
Hugo 2 + i4 (from a source that can implement the Reveal plugin) is really hard to beat, but it is not the most portable.

But honestly, if you care about tonality and dynamics, an iPhone/iPod/iPad with a cypher cable (I look forward to a USB-C solution..) sounds amazing, and it is the most portable solution of them all.
What Audeze did with DSP in the cypher is out of this world.

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #2,673 of 4,796
I second @sorrick
Hugo 2 + i4 (from a source that can implement the Reveal plugin) is really hard to beat, but it is not the most portable.

But honestly, if you care about tonality and dynamics, an iPhone/iPod/iPad with a cypher cable (I look forward to a USB-C solution..) sounds amazing, and it is the most portable solution of them all.
What Audeze did with DSP in the cypher is out of this world.
I agree with the cipher module. Lcdi4 sounds perfect with this.(Ultra portable setup).I cannot listen to Non-EQed lcd i4 on my DAP coz the dip in the midrange is too much for me. The EQ on Astell & Kern is good for nothing. I looking forward to Roon implementation on AK devices so I can use audeze presets.

I have tried many cables but nothing comes close to reveal plugin/cipher. @EagleWings has tried a lot of cables especially with lcdi4.
BTW, I am eagerly waiting for the wireless cipher cable for lcdi4.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #2,674 of 4,796
From Audeze's Instagram post on wireless cipher cable for lcdi4:
@Audeze When can we buy this ?

Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 10.02.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 10.02.03 PM.png

May 2, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #2,676 of 4,796
Just out of curiosity, has there been any hint at Audeze continuing the development of this form factor with other/more models?

I talked to a rep at Axpona and according to him Audeze is going to try to refine the i4 into a better product, rather than develop newer models. They're especially researching the best way to get the i4 to fit people's ear.

I asked if a new model would follow a new flagship with a new transducer, e.g., an LCD5. He said that rather than the transducer material a new innovation in the design itself would drive development into a new model.

From his perspective, it sounded like they were pretty content with the i4 for now, which made me happy/sad: sad because an i5 would be amazing, happy because I'm pretty content with the i4 too-–for now.

May 2, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #2,677 of 4,796
Hello, new user here,i recently entered the world of HiFi after buying a LCD2C, i enjoyed its sound, i didnt know things sounded sooo different with quality headphones. I liked the sound so much that i started delving into other audeze products. The thing is, i cannot wear the thing for more than 3 hours because of neck problems, so i read about this little IEM here, and after a lot of reading (planning to buy solaris/andromeda, qdc vx or lcdi4) i realized i just needed the extra headroom of the open headphone (i dont have the need for closed headphones), so i ordered one after being satisfied with Audezes Cservice.

They arrived today, man this "cans" are awesome, they even sound awesome out of the headphone jack of my old nexus6P! Incredible clarity and are soo lightweight.
Today i went to walk my dog feeling like a god, and i kept awareness of my surroundings. Now, that aside i have a few questions :
RIG
Home: Win10/JRiver/ADI 2 DAC/LCDi4, sometimes i use EqAPO/Peace for gaming
Portable: Nexus6P/LCDi4 (for now)

Best AudioPlayer for android, with parametric EQ, so i can emulate reveal (which is awesome). Using Poweramp right now, its good but it doesnt have PEQ
PEQ settings for ADI 2 DAC (5 band) emulating reveal
10 band regular EQ settings emulating reveal
Portable DAC/Amp for android the smallest the best (with good sound q)
Extension cables to use at home. The factory cable is so small, i need something of good quality to get it connected to the ADI2 (2m cable). Right now im using some cables i ordered from a chinese guy (Ghent Audio) the thing is, i dont know if they affect music quality, i dont hear any difference with or without them so...
Comparison between iOS+Cipher and Android+portable DAC/Amp (i really dont want to buy into iOS after so much time on android)

Apologize if the text is not written well, english is not my first language
I appreciate your help, thanks.

May 3, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #2,678 of 4,796
Hello, new user here,i recently entered the world of HiFi after buying a LCD2C, i enjoyed its sound, i didnt know things sounded sooo different with quality headphones. I liked the sound so much that i started delving into other audeze products. The thing is, i cannot wear the thing for more than 3 hours because of neck problems, so i read about this little IEM here, and after a lot of reading (planning to buy solaris/andromeda, qdc vx or lcdi4) i realized i just needed the extra headroom of the open headphone (i dont have the need for closed headphones), so i ordered one after being satisfied with Audezes Cservice.

They arrived today, man this "cans" are awesome, they even sound awesome out of the headphone jack of my old nexus6P! Incredible clarity and are soo lightweight.
Today i went to walk my dog feeling like a god, and i kept awareness of my surroundings. Now, that aside i have a few questions :
RIG
Home: Win10/JRiver/ADI 2 DAC/LCDi4, sometimes i use EqAPO/Peace for gaming
Portable: Nexus6P/LCDi4 (for now)

Best AudioPlayer for android, with parametric EQ, so i can emulate reveal (which is awesome). Using Poweramp right now, its good but it doesnt have PEQ
PEQ settings for ADI 2 DAC (5 band) emulating reveal
10 band regular EQ settings emulating reveal
Portable DAC/Amp for android the smallest the best (with good sound q)
Extension cables to use at home. The factory cable is so small, i need something of good quality to get it connected to the ADI2 (2m cable). Right now im using some cables i ordered from a chinese guy (Ghent Audio) the thing is, i dont know if they affect music quality, i dont hear any difference with or without them so...
Comparison between iOS+Cipher and Android+portable DAC/Amp (i really dont want to buy into iOS after so much time on android)

Apologize if the text is not written well, english is not my first language
I appreciate your help, thanks.
Congrats!
Lcdi4 are real gem. I have listened to all iems that you have mentioned and i believe lcdi4 is in a different league.(better)

May 3, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #2,679 of 4,796
I talked to a rep at Axpona and according to him Audeze is going to try to refine the i4 into a better product, rather than develop newer models. They're especially researching the best way to get the i4 to fit people's ear.

I asked if a new model would follow a new flagship with a new transducer, e.g., an LCD5. He said that rather than the transducer material a new innovation in the design itself would drive development into a new model.

From his perspective, it sounded like they were pretty content with the i4 for now, which made me happy/sad: sad because an i5 would be amazing, happy because I'm pretty content with the i4 too-–for now.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it! It would be interesting to see if any updates come for the i4. I still have not heard them, but they are very high on my "to demo"-list. I was sort of hoping that at some point they might come up with an LCDi2, as I expect I will not be able to afford the i4 any time soon. Apart from that I am just really interested in seeing how this for factor will develop.

May 3, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #2,680 of 4,796
Thanks for the info, appreciate it! It would be interesting to see if any updates come for the i4. I still have not heard them, but they are very high on my "to demo"-list. I was sort of hoping that at some point they might come up with an LCDi2, as I expect I will not be able to afford the i4 any time soon. Apart from that I am just really interested in seeing how this for factor will develop.

Sometimes, Audeze sells i4 B-stock at very good discounted price. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference from normal units. You should check or email them.

May 3, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #2,681 of 4,796

There probably might not be a i2, but the iSine 20 is kind of like the younger brother to the i4. While I did hear a difference between the 20 and the i4 in terms of sheer performance, it was not huge by any means. Or as Edward says, try and contact Audeze and TSAV to see if they have any B stock of 20 or i4. But I'd definitely urge you to try it before pulling the trigger, since that option is available to you.

May 3, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #2,682 of 4,796
Sometimes, Audeze sells i4 B-stock at very good discounted price. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference from normal units. You should check or email them.
Thanks! Yes, several people have pointed me to the B-stock sales, although I seem to remember those were US only and I live in Europe. Certainly something I will keep in mind when I have the funds available again.
There probably might not be a i2, but the iSine 20 is kind of like the younger brother to the i4. While I did hear a difference between the 20 and the i4 in terms of sheer performance, it was not huge by any means. Or as Edward says, try and contact Audeze and TSAV to see if they have any B stock of 20 or i4. But I'd definitely urge you to try it before pulling the trigger, since that option is available to you.
Interesting, I should see if I can get my hands on the 20 and the i4 at the same time and compare. Perhaps after Canjam London, as I might be visiting Amsterdam to catch up with a few people around that time anyway.

May 3, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #2,683 of 4,796
Thanks! Yes, several people have pointed me to the B-stock sales, although I seem to remember those were US only and I live in Europe. Certainly something I will keep in mind when I have the funds available again.

Interesting, I should see if I can get my hands on the 20 and the i4 at the same time and compare. Perhaps after Canjam London, as I might be visiting Amsterdam to catch up with a few people around that time anyway.

I had the 20s for a brief time before the i4s came out. They produce the same general "effect" as the i4 and are a ridiculously good bargain for the price. However, a substantial line separates the 20 from the i4, and that's the line between audio-enthusiast and audiophile. if you want wonderful phones for enjoying music and aren't really critical about your gear the 20s are just a fantastic bit of kit. If you are someone who enjoys picking apart staging/imaging, timbral naturalness, tonal accuracy, etc. the 20s are a stop gap measure on the road to the i4s.

May 3, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,684 of 4,796
I had the 20s for a brief time before the i4s came out. They produce the same general "effect" as the i4 and are a ridiculously good bargain for the price. However, a substantial line separates the 20 from the i4, and that's the line between audio-enthusiast and audiophile. if you want wonderful phones for enjoying music and aren't really critical about your gear the 20s are just a fantastic bit of kit. If you are someone who enjoys picking apart staging/imaging, timbral naturalness, tonal accuracy, etc. the 20s are a stop gap measure on the road to the i4s.
That would certainly be a point of attention, as I expect the i4 would be excellent for classical music and I do listen very attentively, constructing an image of the music while I do so I can "read" whatever piece I am listening to. I keep eyeing headphones for the same reason, but the i4 still have a relatively small form factor and so avoid the bulk that comes with headphones.

May 3, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #2,685 of 4,796

If you are in Amsterdam you can go to Headphone Auditions on Utrechtstraat, Stefan has both of them on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back