Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #2,372 of 4,796
Currently listening to the album "Here If You Listen" by David Crosby on the i4. Sublime sound and sublime music, ability to have this kind of experience is why we pay over $2000 for an IEM ...

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #2,373 of 4,796
Currently listening to the album "Here If You Listen" by David Crosby on the i4. Sublime sound and sublime music, ability to have this kind of experience is why we pay over $2000 for an IEM ...
I agree, I am listining to Pat Metheny Group now and still can’t believe I am listening to IEMs.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #2,374 of 4,796
While I understand the reason behind the crinkling, I'm not sure if the extend that I'm experiencing is normal or not, I have a dual monitor setup and turning my head from one to the other (something like 10deg of head turning) sounds like someone is rubbing a plastic bag across my head, even opening my mouth to lick my lips is enough to trigger it, unless I'm laying down staying completely still I can't avoid it

I got a response from @Audeze saying that it is normal and that they have no control over the crinkly sound, but the noise is just seemingly getting louder every time I put them on, I know that there would be defects with b stocks but frankly I didn't expect it to be this severe, I'm kind of lost about what to do now.
My pair make zero noise whatsoever. I don't think they should make any noise except what is supposed to be coming out of them. If mine did, I would get rid of them quickly. Fortunately they are dead silent and play incredibly nicely with the current chain of components I am using. Very happy with them so far.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #2,375 of 4,796
My first pair of lcd i4 had the crinkling noise problem in first few weeks i.e. September 2017.
I had contacted audeze customer support.
They replaced it with new lcd i4(including the packaging).
They have an excellent customer service.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,376 of 4,796
@Phronesis: what you listening out of with the i4s? The H2 and Mojo?

Just wondering.

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,377 of 4,796
@Phronesis: what you listening out of with the i4s? The H2 and Mojo?

Just wondering.

I use both, but mostly the Mojo. I’m not sure that the sound is significantly different with the Hugo 2.

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #2,378 of 4,796
I think the H2 is somewhat more detailed (OK a LOT more detailed) than is the Mojo. I own both, but rarely use the Mojo much anymore. Although there is not a thing wrong with it.
I carry it in my computer bag and I have a good set of Sony IEMs or I can carry my i4 with me if desired. To my ears there is really a huge difference in sound between the two.

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #2,379 of 4,796
I also have the mojo and Hugo 2 and find the latter to be quite a bit more detailed, dynamic, and transparent as a source. I hear more depth, better layering and all in all a more three dimensional sound. The mojo sounds excellent too, I just find that the Hugo2 takes it up a level and the i4 scales wonderfully with it.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #2,380 of 4,796
I use both, but mostly the Mojo. I’m not sure that the sound is significantly different with the Hugo 2.

I should clarify that in casual listening comparisons, I was able to perceive a significant difference between the two, with the H2 having more detail, etc. But when I matched volume and music segments, and reduced switching time almost zero, the perceived differences went away.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #2,382 of 4,796
How is the sound leakage on these? Could they be used in a quiet office environment without disturbing others?

Also is the cipher cable a must if driving out of an iphone? Any additional EQ needed with the Audeze app?
The sound leakage is imperceptible. I use it in a quiet office environment, the nearest people are less than 2 metres away and they hear nothing. Prior to discovering these I had only been looking at closed headphones or in-ears for the office due to this concern, but was really missing the sound of open headphones. I am very happy I came across these, big TOTL headphone sound, imperceptible leakage, amazing for their (or any) size.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #2,384 of 4,796
How is the sound leakage on these? Could they be used in a quiet office environment without disturbing others?

Also is the cipher cable a must if driving out of an iphone? Any additional EQ needed with the Audeze app?
Oh, and the cipher cable is clearly inferior to using a Chord Mojo out of a iPhone. I have so far not noted frequency response issues, but I have yet to play with EQ.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #2,385 of 4,796
Oh, and the cipher cable is clearly inferior to using a Chord Mojo out of a iPhone. I have so far not noted frequency response issues, but I have yet to play with EQ.

When I first started using the Cipher cable, with it's built-in EQ and ability to EQ further with the app, I liked the sound. Then I decided to go back to using the i4 with the Mojo, with no EQ. I like the latter better, sounds more pure and natural to me. But as discussed many times in this thread, it's vital to get the tips right for proper seal and alignment, otherwise the frequency response can be so far off that no EQ can fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back