Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #2,357 of 4,798
Okay, so this makes absolutely no sense to me.

The crinkly sound that was really horrible yesterday is now pretty much gone. Just for giggles I unplugged the cable and plug it back in. But that should have made no difference.

Even with the volume turned off and touching the backs of the iems now sound different. They are not uber crinkly like yesterday. Still slightly different but not night and day different.

Does your iems make a soft, crinkly sound if you touch around the backs of them while they're in your ear with no music playing?

Please let me know.

I really don't know what to make of this. Any idea why this may be happening?

LCD-i4 uses an ultra thin diaphragm and depending on seal you may hear a crinkle especially when pushing or adjusting it as the pressure changes. It also depends on the ear geometry and fit. The difference ins sound you hear is most likely because the seal is different and that will also explain not hearing any crinkle.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,359 of 4,798
Wow those ear hooks really extend down low. No possible way I can wear my i4 with the hooks that low on my ears. That would also destroy the SQ for my ears.
The way my ear hooks are, they are just riding almost horizontal over the tops of my ears and the aim into the ear canals is just perfect that way. Of course everyone's ears are going to be different.

For sure, I made them extra long so I could cut them down. I'll take a half inch off and go from there

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #2,361 of 4,798
Are there any recommended methods for carving out slots for the LCDi4s in the foam inserts of the Pelican cases that a noob should know about? I think sculpting out slots for the Audeze leather case, and a DAP (A & K Kann) ought to be relatively simpler, than doing so for the iems themselves. If anyone can recommend a helpful and tidy method, it would be really appreciated. Please indicate the instrument used for the cutting/carving. Will a box-cutter be ideal?

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2,362 of 4,798
LCD-i4 uses an ultra thin diaphragm and depending on seal you may hear a crinkle especially when pushing or adjusting it as the pressure changes. It also depends on the ear geometry and fit. The difference ins sound you hear is most likely because the seal is different and that will also explain not hearing any crinkle.
While I understand the reason behind the crinkling, I'm not sure if the extend that I'm experiencing is normal or not, I have a dual monitor setup and turning my head from one to the other (something like 10deg of head turning) sounds like someone is rubbing a plastic bag across my head, even opening my mouth to lick my lips is enough to trigger it, unless I'm laying down staying completely still I can't avoid it

I got a response from @Audeze saying that it is normal and that they have no control over the crinkly sound, but the noise is just seemingly getting louder every time I put them on, I know that there would be defects with b stocks but frankly I didn't expect it to be this severe, I'm kind of lost about what to do now.

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #2,363 of 4,798
While I understand the reason behind the crinkling, I'm not sure if the extend that I'm experiencing is normal or not, I have a dual monitor setup and turning my head from one to the other (something like 10deg of head turning) sounds like someone is rubbing a plastic bag across my head, even opening my mouth to lick my lips is enough to trigger it, unless I'm laying down staying completely still I can't avoid it

I got a response from @Audeze saying that it is normal and that they have no control over the crinkly sound, but the noise is just seemingly getting louder every time I put them on, I know that there would be defects with b stocks but frankly I didn't expect it to be this severe, I'm kind of lost about what to do now.

Please check your PM. Crinkle when you adjust your headphone or when you make sudden movement is normal and it depends from person to person, but what you describe is not.

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #2,364 of 4,798
Are there any recommended methods for carving out slots for the LCDi4s in the foam inserts of the Pelican cases that a noob should know about? I think sculpting out slots for the Audeze leather case, and a DAP (A & K Kann) ought to be relatively simpler, than doing so for the iems themselves. If anyone can recommend a helpful and tidy method, it would be really appreciated. Please indicate the instrument used for the cutting/carving. Will a box-cutter be ideal?
If you use the pelican pick-a-foam for 1060, it should be very easy and relatively neat.

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #2,365 of 4,798
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #2,366 of 4,798
Hi Fellows, been a while. I also got in on the B Stock deal on the LCD i4.
a. My box and package say nothing about B stock and the packaging appeared unblemished.
b. They sound great but needed a week and a weekend of use to come out of their shell and reall shine. Maybe they were made a while ago and needed to get some use,
c. The intent is to use as a portable set. Just with an Android phone - not too great. With the Ifi micro, usb out in normal mode with some eq - really good. I will have more comments later.
d. Find of the day? Ted from Headphone Lounge (Ted makes all of my cables) made me a short cable, balanced TRRS, for my little AK10, Vocals sounded REAL (noticeably) and called themselves to my attention twice. This was via Tidal/Galaxy S8/Bluetooth (aptx HD). I was very pleased.

For those of you in humid climates using the excellent Pelikan case, consider using some silica gel packs in the case to keep moisture under control.

When I was using Stax SR-003 I had a set of custom ear molds made. Mine were made by Starkey (Minnesota). The groovy TIPS from Audeze are working out fine with the hooks. Much better than my first set of UE Triple Fi (ouch!). Too bad Kaysen Fisher is not offering customs anymore. That is the only shop I will ever trust again; Fisher Hearing InEarz is SOTA!

Bottom line, I will not send these back, very satisfied. The crinkly sound that has been mentioned reminds me of the same issue with Stax electrostatic earspeakers and my word to the wise is to read the comments of John Moulton regarding being careful with the little phones; they can be damaged. Besides we spent a lot of money for these beasties. I do not think the crackling sound in the Stax degraded the sound, the I4 magnetic assembly is really strong and should take care of it on the musical end.

Happy listening,
(Bowie: Station to Station in Hi Res)
Peter

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #2,367 of 4,798

I only get the crinkles when I'm listening on my office rig. I found that touching the little brass stud on the connector will get rid of the crinkles by, I'm guessing, discharging any built up static electricity in my body. It gets bad whenever I roll my chair around on the plastic floor protector. But a quick tap on that stud and the problem goes away.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #2,368 of 4,798
I only get the crinkles when I'm listening on my office rig. I found that touching the little brass stud on the connector will get rid of the crinkles by, I'm guessing, discharging any built up static electricity in my body. It gets bad whenever I roll my chair around on the plastic floor protector. But a quick tap on that stud and the problem goes away.
Interesting, I had crinkles with and without plugged in to anything, but regardless thanks to @KMann and the team I sent them back today for RMA and I'll see how it goes, can't wait to have them back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back