Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #571 of 4,796
After a full week of ownership I am 100% satisfied
OUgVBtR.jpg

Received my i4s yesterday. Felt like I received a nice leather bound book. I love it. Almost made me want to tuck it in my library. Unfortunately got held up till late so I ended staying up late marveling at the sheer power and musicality of the i4... missed my morning workout bc of it.

Some of my initial impressions:

@davehutch You were right. Not only surprised but blown away by the quality, depth and impact of the bass. A few posters mentioned the clean, punch, and taut bass - and yes, it is all that - but just wow, the i4 definitely have the means to rattle your brains if you have tracks demanding it. This whole time I thought my shure se846 were excellent in the bass section, especially in the iem sphere. se846 is up there. Well, it got left behind in the dust.. it's not even close. The bass depth and impact is much much stronger in the i4. I dont usually listen to hardcore techno in my leisure time, I go to Berlin for that.. I just dont see how bass heads could want more out of headphones unless they're prepared for bleeding into the mids. I'm new to EQ, but I totally buy the 900hz to 5hz flat bass response claim... and I'm curious to see how it'd take EQ. I don't have my LCD2 w me but from the feeling of auditory experience from the se846 to LCD2 wasnt nearly this drastic in the bass area. I remember wanting the LCD-X after hearing my friend's cans back in Paris but not anymore. I'm very happy w the i4's bass response.

I can't imagine how hard hitting the Abyss and LCD 4 must be. Anyone have the i4 and any of those two beasts and care to comment?

@bmichels Yes, although I havent received my Hugo 2 yet, I can feel my i4 being shackled by my RWAK240. It's definitely not happy with what I'm feeding it. That's not to say it doesnt sound good but I can tell it's definitely being held back.

I only owned the LCD2. The i4 seems well built. It's not quite the sensual tactile feedback I would expect from the Hugo 2 but I dont anticipate any external durability issue with the i4.. I'll be getting a pelican case when traveling so I'm not too concerned on that front. It comes with a nice cable, the connectors fit in perfectly and do not come off too easily. So far so good.

@edwardsean Just to add to what your post - I mostly agree with what you wrote. But with the background ambient sounds of heavy raindrops and the air con at low speed, and I'm still getting a lot more resolution and body from the i4 versus my sealed shure se846 iem. The i4 outperforms the se846 in every way other than sealing from external noise. That said, as much pity I feel for my se846, it's definitely not an iem replacement. Places like the airplane and other modes of public transportation would be a better fit for iem. The i4 is not an iem replacement, I thought that much was obvious.

Imo, the i4 is a miniaturization of the open air LCD series. Up till now, the options were either premium iems or open/closed over the ear headphones for superlative sound quality. Now, the i4 can comfortably sit alongside my iem in my bag or jacket pocket, smth unthinkable with the big LCD headphones. I do not own nor have I heard the LCD4, but I suppose carrying the i4 is like having a lot of the LCD series performance in your pocket and in some cases more of. The i4 is so much more convenient to live with, and not to mention much easier to drive than the LCD4. Risk looking like a reclusive shut in at your office, cafe, etc with big technical cans. Not so much w the i4. Oh, small bonus: your hair gets to stay perfect.

Last year, Nvidia achieved a breakthrough in mobile gpu performance, finally bridging the gap between its desktop GPUs and its mobile counterpart. Finally, one could have the gaming performance of a full fledged Nvidia 1080GTX in a mobile form factor w very little performancemobile cost. Whereas just two years ago, the disparity in desktop vs mobile components were often greater than 50%, that gap has now been reduced to within 10%. And with well cooled laptops, an overclocked mobile 1080gtx even meets or exceeds a stock desktop 1080GTX. Of course, all this miniaturization in performance comes with a price premium.

Might not be the best analogy, but that's how I see the i4s. For the first time, a rather small in ear headphone can compete against the open air big boys in slam, soundstage, imaging, etc. Of course, one could argue the very best iems could compete in resolution, speed, etc... but that's not the point bc of inherent iem limitations. Just like the Nvidia example, all this small form package performance comes w a price premium. I havent got the LCD-X/3 to do an A/B comparison, so I cant confidently say the i4 bests them, but I certainly believe it comes very close, and it's a price premium I'm willing to pay for. Obvious caveat is that everyone's situation is different etc, redundant pricing inane discussions, blah blah blah...

I think Audeze was referring the two small holes in the picture below

IJmcys5.jpg

Nice write up! It truly is amazing to get this sound out of this form factor. It is fantastic traveling this week with all of this gear which took up less space than the travel case I had been using to carry my HD800S with me. I also agree that a 1010 pelican case is the way to go. Much better protection and much easier to use than the case provided by Audeze.

Out of curiosity, regardless of price, is there any non-isolating portable headphone any of you have used that comes close to the quality of the i4's? l like my Andromedas for noisy environment but prefer the non-pressurized seal of an open back earphone/iem. The Final Audio Piano Forte look interesting or an on/over the ear high end travel phone would be of interest. Is there anything that even comes close in a small form factor?
upload_2017-7-19_8-25-17.png

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #572 of 4,796
Excellent points and observations. Lucid and accurate. I need to find the stock cable for LCD-X and get an adapter for 3.5 mm so I can try the X with Mojo for comparison. Really want phones with IEMS type form factor for comfort and transportability. Multiple folks relaying same info on the bass response of i4 so looks like a keeper. Another plus is nice cable included so no need to upgrade that at substantial cost. Would be nice to get a Pelican hard case with it though. Maybe research and find a part number for a Pelican case that would hold the entire leather case or alternatively just the phones and make cutouts in the foam if it comes that way. Something water proof and much more protective for transport.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #574 of 4,796
Excellent points and observations. Lucid and accurate. I need to find the stock cable for LCD-X and get an adapter for 3.5 mm so I can try the X with Mojo for comparison. Really want phones with IEMS type form factor for comfort and transportability. Multiple folks relaying same info on the bass response of i4 so looks like a keeper. Another plus is nice cable included so no need to upgrade that at substantial cost. Would be nice to get a Pelican hard case with it though. Maybe research and find a part number for a Pelican case that would hold the entire leather case or alternatively just the phones and make cutouts in the foam if it comes that way. Something water proof and much more protective for transport.

I would love to hear any comparisons between LCD-X (or even LCD3) and LCDi4. I have the LCD-X and am seriously considering the LCDi4 for the portability, but obviously don't want to compromise on sound quality. Being here in the UK demoing the LCDi4 is not easy so any comparisons would help me decide if I should track down a demo pair.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #576 of 4,796
Hey everyone,

Read through each and every post and gotta admit I’m amazed!

Since I mainly listen to noise, dark ambient, metal and stuff like that, I’m in love with Audeze’s signature “dark” sound and the i4s seem to be the way to go for me. Now my main question is, being an OCD freak and also a college student with a part time job, if I get these now, I can’t afford another dac/amp until next year. I definitely enjoy my setup but even right now, as I’m typing this and listening through it, the OCD’s telling me that there’s compromise and something should be missing so I need to get a decent dac/amp ASAP. Please don’t blame me because I know that it’s most likely a mental thing, but will I be able to experience at least some of the i4s’ mesmerizing characteristics with Mojo?

I appreciate any help.

(BTW, I think Prurient’s Greenpoint will sound heavenly on the LCDi4, as it does on the LCD4)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #577 of 4,796
It will be interesting to see how others respond, but here's my two cents.....

I love my i4's and I love my HD800S. I don't think the i4's sound better than the HD800S but I'm blown away that they sound as good as the 800S but in an incredibly small and comfortable form factor. I didn't buy the i4 to "best" the HD800S. I got them to have the same level of SQ yet portable. If you did not already have TOTL phones, I would say stick with the Mojo (which is still a great sounding AMP/DAC) and get the i4's, but if form factor is not a concern and you are looking for the biggest sound improvement bang for the buck I would upgrade to a Hugo 2 or other first and buy the SINE 10/20's for a different form factor and flavor once your funds have recovered a bit. They give you a similar experience to the i4's but a fraction of the cost.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #578 of 4,796
will I be able to experience at least some of the i4s’ mesmerizing characteristics with Mojo?

Absolutely!

I spent last night listening from the Mojo as I didn't want to sit at my desk with the DAVE. The i4's are fast and articulate drivers with incredible texture. I'm surprised at how much timbral texture and detail I'm hearing with the i4. Usually I associate this with an underperforming bass and a bright signature, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the i4. To me it's simply a very detailed and well textured. I might go as far as to say I don't miss the Utopia when listening to the i4, but further listening and comparisons would be in order before I could make that statement. One caveat though... feed it good recordings as the combination is revealing. I haven't heard the LCD-4 so I can't offer any comparison with the i4.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #579 of 4,796
After a full week of ownership I am 100% satisfied
Nice write up! It truly is amazing to get this sound out of this form factor. It is fantastic traveling this week with all of this gear which took up less space than the travel case I had been using to carry my HD800S with me. I also agree that a 1010 pelican case is the way to go. Much better protection and much easier to use than the case provided by Audeze.

Out of curiosity, regardless of price, is there any non-isolating portable headphone any of you have used that comes close to the quality of the i4's? l like my Andromedas for noisy environment but prefer the non-pressurized seal of an open back earphone/iem. The Final Audio Piano Forte look interesting or an on/over the ear high end travel phone would be of interest. Is there anything that even comes close in a small form factor?

Been evaluating Hugo 2 with i4, it is a great paring as many have commented. But will Hugo2 go into my case? Go it does, fits like a a glove. There is no strain on the i4 cable or connector. There is a piece of foam under the Hugo2 with a big slot in the middle, where I stored the cable and a USB pig-tail and a few other things. Using pelican 1060 with pick-a-foam.

i4andHugo2go.JPG

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #580 of 4,796
Been evaluating Hugo 2 with i4, it is a great paring as many have commented. But will Hugo2 go into my case? Go it does, fits like a a glove. There is no strain on the i4 cable or connector. There is a piece of foam under the Hugo2 with a big slot in the middle, where I stored the cable and a USB pig-tail and a few other things. Using pelican 1060 with pick-a-foam.

I was considering getting a Pelican with custom cut foam for the Hugo 2 and i4, but this seems much less expensive and still nicely done. Thanks for the idea!

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #581 of 4,796

Awesome!!!

thank you for sharing!

I'll order the pelican case asap.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #583 of 4,796
Hey everyone,

Read through each and every post and gotta admit I’m amazed!

My desktop rig consists of my MBP>>Mojo>>LCD4. I don’t have any other audiophile phones, dacs or amps(sold for the LCD4) and have been keeping my eyes on several IEMs for months now. Since I mainly listen to noise, dark ambient, metal and stuff like that, I’m in love with Audeze’s signature “dark” sound and the i4s seem to be the way to go for me. Now my main question is, being an OCD freak and also a college student with a part time job, if I get these now, I can’t afford another dac/amp until next year. I definitely enjoy my setup but even right now, as I’m typing this and listening through it, the OCD’s telling me that there’s compromise and something should be missing so I need to get a decent dac/amp ASAP. Please don’t blame me because I know that it’s most likely a mental thing, but will I be able to experience at least some of the i4s’ mesmerizing characteristics with Mojo?

I appreciate any help.

(BTW, I think Prurient’s Greenpoint will sound heavenly on the LCDi4, as it does on the LCD4)

I've had the LCDi4 for about a week now and have been running directly from my AK120II and recently AK120II >> Cavalli Liquid Carbon and while they're truly awesome for most of the music I listen to (very similar to genres you've listed), however, I do prefer my Campfire Audio Vega's for certain types of metal (i.e.: Doom / Hardcore). To me, the LCDi4's stage is almost too resolving and open and doesn't feel claustrophobic enough - I'm specifically thinking of Sumac's 'What One Becomes'. With this album, the Vega is thick and makes the music feel overpowering and overwhelming as though it's closing in on you. Listening to this album with the Vega the vocals sound like they're in the middle of a sphere with the instrumentation revolving all around (with good separation). The i4 spreads the instruments out, puts the vocals more in front and in turn makes the sound a little thin and linear - I've found this with other albums in the same genre.

However, when it comes to Noise / Ambient / Progressive + Melodic Metal I think the i4 is incredible. Prurient's 'Bermuda Drain' sounds amazing - and the stage certainly helps with this as you can hear elements of the sound he's generating all over the place. Same with Stars of the Lid - totally opens the music up giving me that sky is the limit feeling causing me to put my head on my hand and stare out of the window. Very technical, I know :wink:

I can't speak to the sound running through the Mojo, but I do think the i4 fits in with the genres you listen to and would be worth trying since Audeze has the 30 day policy (if bought directly from them). With their return policy you can try them with what you have on hand, over a good period of time and see for yourself if you like them.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #584 of 4,796
I am tempted by these new IEM's.....I like the idea of a high quality easy to carry around IEM but i have issues with IEM's versus over the ear HP's....when I put IEM's into my ears the tips get warm and obviously soft and if i need to take them out of my ears it is very difficult tp ut them back in right away without letting the tip get solid enough to go back into my ear.....with over the ear HP's obviously this is not the case......

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #585 of 4,796
My LCDi4 shipped today, I should receive it next Monday. Too bad the SP1000 is taking so long to become available in Switzerland, I'll have to rely on my old AK240 for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back