Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #586 of 4,795
So, what's the consensus on the build quality / durability of this thing? In terms of sound it appears to be very close to what I like, but the thought of throwing such an amount and something that might break easily is horrifying. Same goes for support/RMA quality.

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #589 of 4,795
Anyone with experience driving these iem's with a Sony Wm1a? More than enough power, etc.?
Thanks in advance.
I'm only using less than half volume on balanced/high gain with the WM1A. They are better out of a desktop amp, but so are most headphones/IEMs.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #591 of 4,795
Hi all,

Just want to share my initial impression, since mine finally arrived last night. When I first listened, I was not impressed. I felt that there was something quite not right about the sound, it's kind of missing some frequencies. I tried EQ-ing using NePlayer app (I'm using iPod touch 6th gen as my source) but still couldn't get it right. Then I went to sleep hoping that the next morning somehow I could find the right EQ balance. When I woke up and tried to have a listen, I noticed that the left cable wasn't inserted properly all the way through. I pushed it a bit further until it fits properly. And voila!!!! The sound came alive!! Amazingly sweeeet sound! No need for EQ whatsoever. The resolution and clarity is superb! Bass impact is huge, and just the right amount of midrange and treble.

This is actually my first IEM that doesn't need any adjustment, perfectly balanced out of the box. However, I'm still intrigued to order a Norne Audio Silvergarde S cable, as I currently use it with my FitEar MH335DW and it brings significant improvement in sound. Anyone experienced big sound improvement using other cables?

For those who are still on the fence, all I can say is just pull that goddamn trigger! This is absolutely one of (if not THE) best sounding IEMs, period! It's worth absolutely every single cent. Kudos to Audeze! A totally game changer and certainly I've found my end-game IEM. I hope I don't have to swallow my own words if something new comes out in a distant future :))

Cheers

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #592 of 4,795
....A totally game changer and certainly I've found my end-game IEM. I hope I don't have to swallow my own words if something new comes out in a distant future

It is already here: try the SHURE KSE1500 :ksc75smile:

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #594 of 4,795
It is already here: try the SHURE KSE1500 :ksc75smile:

Hahahaha....I'll probably consider it if it doesn't have an extra dac/amp to carry around :)

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #595 of 4,795
Jul 22, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #596 of 4,795
What did you like better with SHURE KSE1500?

when I tested LCD-i4, Fourté and SHURE, I came to the conclusion that I much prefered the uber-precision and un-coloured sound of the SHURE. Of course the i4 offer a bigger sound stage, but ME i am not so much looking after big soundstage. In fact I quite like "sound in the head".

- direct out of the SP1000; ranking was : SHURE > FOURTE > LCD-i4
- out of HUGO 2, ranking becomes : SHURE > LCD-i4 > FOURTE

Obviously, unless you haver a KANN, the LCD-i4 need an external AMP to shine.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #597 of 4,795
when I tested LCD-i4, Fourté and SHURE, I came to the conclusion that I much prefered the uber-precision and un-coloured sound of the SHURE. Of course the i4 offer a bigger sound stage, but ME i am not so much looking after big soundstage. In fact I quite like "sound in the head".

- direct out of the SP1000; ranking was : SHURE > FOURTE > LCD-i4
- out of HUGO 2, ranking becomes : SHURE > LCD-i4 > FOURTE

Obviously, unless you haver a KANN, the LCD-i4 need an external AMP to shine.

For quality, yes. For power, they aren't that difficult to drive. 35 Ohms and 105dB/mW SPL is hardly difficult to drive. They are revealing of the source so the better quality source the better the sound.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #598 of 4,795
So, what's the consensus on the build quality / durability of this thing? In terms of sound it appears to be very close to what I like, but the thought of throwing such an amount and something that might break easily is horrifying. Same goes for support/RMA quality.

As for durability, the front half shell of the are magnesium (or a magnesium alloy) feel great and solid as, well, solid as magnesium. The back half shell (the part that faces your ear and has the sound tube that the tips go on and into your ear) is a hard plastic that feels solid and durable. I believe it is the same part as the rear shell of the isines. Would be nice if they were all metal, but they definitely would be much heavier and less comfortable to wear if they were (each is 12g). On the whole they units feel solid and pretty durable. I'm not going to shove them in the pocket of a pair of skinny jeans or throw em in a bag without a case, and they probably wouldn't survive being sat on, but they would survive drops from a desk on to a floor or other reasonably normal use type stuff. The plastic ear hooks, which are detatchable and replaceable, can snap if you overextend them forcefully. The cable is kevlar reinforced and feels substantial. I have accidentally yanked it pretty hard when it got looped under my office chair arm and I stood up and all was fine.

In my interactions with Audeze CS and they have always been quick to respond and went out of their way to address issues (the cypher cable to my isine20s failed and they sent me a replacement straight away).

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #599 of 4,795
I tried these at a show in Beijing...wow these are good. I will do a more extensive demo next week to see if with some tip rolling I get better fit but I love these.

IMG_20170723_175858.jpg

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #600 of 4,795
I tried these at a show in Beijing...wow these are good. I will do a more extensive demo next week to see if with some tip rolling I get better fit but I love these.

Yep, they really are amazing. I didn't do any demo since the i4 isn't yet available in my country, just relied on the excellent reviews here and also my gut feel :) so happy I bought these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back