Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #6,766 of 6,785
Hi all,

Anyone using Pathos Aurium amp with LCD-5, any impressions?

https://pathosacoustics.it/en/non-inpol-amplifiers/aurium/

Additionally what would be the best amp pairing with LCD-5?

I was think pairing them with Aurium as both are extremely transparent and then use different DACs to get different sound experiences :)

Take care,
Denis
The best pairings I’ve heard so far are the Holo Bliss (with full Holo Audio stack including their May DAC), surprisingly the Woo WA33 Luna (I wasn’t expecting it to respond well to a tube amp since it fell hard on its face when I tried it with my Folkvangr, but OTC vs OTL makes a big difference), and at a much lower price point but still amazing, the Schiit Midgard.

I have a Schiit Mjolnir 3 on order, and I expect that to be an amazing pairing.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #6,767 of 6,785
The best pairings I’ve heard so far are the Holo Bliss (with full Holo Audio stack including their May DAC), surprisingly the Woo WA33 Luna (I wasn’t expecting it to respond well to a tube amp since it fell hard on its face when I tried it with my Folkvangr, but OTC vs OTL makes a big difference), and at a much lower price point but still amazing, the Schiit Midgard.

I have a Schiit Mjolnir 3 on order, and I expect that to be an amazing pairing.
+1 For Holo Audio Bliss. I was using TEAC UD701n since January. Later on opted for Mitch Barnett convolution filter which made some dramatic improvement such as timing, rhythm and bass response. Very recently I upgraded to Holo Audio Bliss and it improved the stage considerably and I hear better treble resolution specially in the air frequencies. The bass sounds a little more detailed even though the quantity has decreased somewhat for a nuanced bass presentation. TEAC has a typical Japanese melodic presentation but Bliss adds spacial technicalities and improves upon TEAC’s foundation as I am still using UD701n as my DAC.

Would like to audition May along with it some day.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1986.jpeg
    IMG_1986.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1963.jpeg
    IMG_1963.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #6,768 of 6,785
Amazing thank you!!

Also, you would say InPol Ear is a big step up from Aurium with LCD-5?
It's a big step up in the power delivery and control. The Aurium is well regarded in those areas for its price point but the InPol just does it better. Of course diminishing returns kicks in and at that point, it's almost impossible to rate it by value but more towards what you're comfortable with in terms of affordability against your musical enjoyment.

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #6,769 of 6,785
It's a big step up in the power delivery and control. The Aurium is well regarded in those areas for its price point but the InPol just does it better. Of course diminishing returns kicks in and at that point, it's almost impossible to rate it by value but more towards what you're comfortable with in terms of affordability against your musical enjoyment.
I think I’ll need to find a place to to A/B test both :)

Which DAC are you using in the setup?

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #6,772 of 6,785
Thank you, I will look into those :)

I was kind of thinking of PS Audio DirectStream in pursuit to find something more musical then my Hugo 2.
For me, the basis of upgrade for the DAC was the pursuit of a more realistic reproduction of strings and piano.

Depending on your budget, you might consider going the R2R type or discrete DAC route.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #6,774 of 6,785
Thank you, I will look into those :)

I was kind of thinking of PS Audio DirectStream in pursuit to find something more musical then my Hugo 2.
I had a MK1 Directstream for years. I loved it for it's musicality and the over the air upgrades. Finally got to the end of it's shelf life after the FPGA could no longer accommodate future upgrades. The MKII is supposed to be a significate upgrade. Because the pandemic the MKii was significantly delayed otherwise I would probably still be using a Directstream.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #6,776 of 6,785
I somehow believe the LCD-5 is underrated
I finally had a chance to listen to it back to back against the Susvara and the Abyss Diana (not sure if Phi or MR). IMO the LCD-5 comes out on top of both in terms of detail retrieval, impact, and has the best stock tuning.

I did an in-house weeklong demo against the Meze Empyrean Elite and felt that the LCD-5 won hands-down in terms of sound quality (the Empyrean Elite is great for comfort, build quality, and clever design like the magnetic pads though, I just thought it was way too soft and laid back in terms of sound).

The only headphone I’ve heard that really gives the LCD-5 a run for its money is the Stax SR-X9000.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #6,778 of 6,785
The LCD-5 and RME 2/4 is quickly becoming my favorite combo. Ridiculous resolution in whatever flavor of sound I want makes it my go-to for work and travel.

20231104_142653.jpg

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #6,779 of 6,785
The LCD-5 and RME 2/4 is quickly becoming my favorite combo. Ridiculous resolution in whatever flavor of sound I want makes it my go-to for work and travel.

I tried LCD-5 with Adi 2, haven't heard of 2/4, but the Adi 2 was very slow in bass response. It felt like budget tubes. Very slow sound, and LCD-5 is so much better when amped properly.

Ferrum Erco + Hypsos was the goldilocks zone for me. Lightning fast attack and decay, superb detail, like nothing I've ever heard from other HPs. Bass is snappy and tight. Almost like electrostatic headphone speed.

LCD-5 needs proper amplification to reach its potential, or it falls way short. It depends if RME 2/4 is much better than the Adi 2 I tried. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #6,780 of 6,785
I tried LCD-5 with Adi 2, haven't heard of 2/4, but the Adi 2 was very slow in bass response. It felt like budget tubes. Very slow sound, and LCD-5 is so much better when amped properly.

Ferrum Erco + Hypsos was the goldilocks zone for me. Lightning fast attack and decay, superb detail, like nothing I've ever heard from other HPs. Bass is snappy and tight. Almost like electrostatic headphone speed.

LCD-5 needs proper amplification to reach its potential, or it falls way short. It depends if RME 2/4 is much better than the Adi 2 I tried. Just my 2 cents!

The ADI-2/4 Pro Se has a completely redesigned amp section with a lot more power and better resolution. It's a step up from the earlier RME DAC/amps for sure. I haven't heard those earlier iterations specifically with the LCD-5, but I've heard the 2 with many other headphones and doubt it would run the LCD-5 well. The 2/4, on the other hand, sounds fantastic with the 5. Definitely not slow or flabby in the bass. It's not quite as clean or controlled as with my HPA4, but it's a fairly small difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back