Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #6,752 of 6,785
Here's how my pair looks. :wink:

Not sure if the unit Crin got was from one of the early batches (with the old headband). FR is a bit different, but then again possibly due to different rig used and positioning etc.

Midrange timbre on these is simply amazing... probably the best among flagship planars. It's something to rave about!

graph (48).png

P.S. I have also measured a handful of aftermarket pad options for the LCD-5. So far I find the Yaxi Alcantara and Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads quite good. Looking to try the MM500 pads as well but man those are expensive.

graph (47).png
Any update on these aftermarket pads? I'm interested in trying out the Elite Hybrids.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #6,754 of 6,785
Any update on these aftermarket pads? I'm interested in trying out the Elite Hybrids.

I've tried a few more since, but the Dekoni hybrids and Yaxi Alcantara remain my top picks. They both tend to give it a more V-shaped sound, dialing back the mids forwardness a bit. The soundstage feels similar, though it might seem a bit more 'diffused', likely due to the velour/alcantara materials. The Yaxi pads are a bit wider and deeper than the Dekonis, IIRC.

They're more comfortable, especially in the summer, compared to the stock leather pads which can get pretty warm.

Just a heads-up, the pads on the LCD-5 are glued on, so swapping them out can cause a bit of damage. So I recommend that you change the pads only when the stock ones are wearing out. Luckily, if you're keen on pad-rollling, Audeze has added a felt layer to the stock pads to prevent tearing when you remove them, making it easier to switch back if you decide the aftermarket options aren't for you.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #6,755 of 6,785
I've tried a few more since, but the Dekoni hybrids and Yaxi Alcantara remain my top picks. They both tend to give it a more V-shaped sound, dialing back the mids forwardness a bit. The soundstage feels similar, though it might seem a bit more 'diffused', likely due to the velour/alcantara materials. The Yaxi pads are a bit wider and deeper than the Dekonis, IIRC.

They're more comfortable, especially in the summer, compared to the stock leather pads which can get pretty warm.

Just a heads-up, the pads on the LCD-5 are glued on, so swapping them out can cause a bit of damage. So I recommend that you change the pads only when the stock ones are wearing out. Luckily, if you're keen on pad-rollling, Audeze has added a felt layer to the stock pads to prevent tearing when you remove them, making it easier to switch back if you decide the aftermarket options aren't for you.
Would you share some pics?

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #6,757 of 6,785
What EQ you rocking?
I started with Oratory's (redditor) HF EQ approximation, then added a heavier low shelf (depending on what I'm listening to - no stranger to 10db). Then I tweak the mids slightly if it's a little shouty. I have a couple saved EQs that add spice in different departments if the source is not playing well with them.

Funny story, I participated in the initial Audeze upgrade exchange, sending them my LCD-4s. When I got the 5s, I was so shocked (shouty and no sub bass), that I didn't even try to EQ and immediately sent them back to Audeze, reclaiming my 4s.

After reading this thread, I decided to re-purchase, but second hand from the H-fi classifieds, and then went on an EQ quest. Glad I did, cause they are a magical HP when you get them dialed in (source, gear, EQ/convolution).

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #6,758 of 6,785
After reading this thread, I decided to re-purchase, but second hand from the H-fi classifieds, and then went on an EQ quest. Glad I did, cause they are a magical HP when you get them dialed in (source, gear, EQ/convolution).

I do wish they had tuned them “dialed in” out of the box. I remember reading earlier in the thread the angled pads were specifically designed for the LCD-5 tuning and that glueing them on was the ‘best’ way of attaching them without sonic compromise.

My brain has adjusted to the convolution filter which brings the LCD-5 from Mitch B that brings it back to a reference neutral. Turning the filter off and the forward mid tuning becomes instantly noticeable. Cable pairing is a Danacable Lazuli Reference Plus I had lying around to give it a little more weight.

Hauntingly beautiful dynamics listening to Lana Del Rey with perfect placement.

https://tidal.com/track/116099820?u

The detail, control and vocal dynamics on the LCD-5 ; staging and pinpoint accuracy … are amongst the best I’ve ever heard. I did hear somewhere that later units improved from the early adopters but I’ve not seen anything official.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #6,760 of 6,785

Attachments

• IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #6,764 of 6,785
Hi all,

Anyone using Pathos Aurium amp with LCD-5, any impressions?

https://pathosacoustics.it/en/non-inpol-amplifiers/aurium/

Additionally what would be the best amp pairing with LCD-5?

I was think pairing them with Aurium as both are extremely transparent and then use different DACs to get different sound experiences :)

Take care,
Denis
I'm pairing it with the bigger brother, the InPol Ear and it sounds fantastic on it. I used to own the Aurium and it's a great little amp too. At the time of owning the Aurium, I also bought the SPL Phonitor X which is also a really transparent amp. I preferred it to the Aurium because of the other features it had, especially the pre-amp, which I loved pairing with my La Figaro tube amp. Overall, Pathos is quite underappreciated as a brand I feel for head-fi when comparing with other brands.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #6,765 of 6,785
I'm pairing it with the bigger brother, the InPol Ear and it sounds fantastic on it. I used to own the Aurium and it's a great little amp too. At the time of owning the Aurium, I also bought the SPL Phonitor X which is also a really transparent amp. I preferred it to the Aurium because of the other features it had, especially the pre-amp, which I loved pairing with my La Figaro tube amp. Overall, Pathos is quite underappreciated as a brand I feel for head-fi when comparing with other brands.
Amazing thank you!!

Also, you would say InPol Ear is a big step up from Aurium with LCD-5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back