Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #6,721 of 6,785
I have an LCD-5 on loan, but one thing I'm noticing so far with my short time with it is that it has less resolution compared to my Susvara and Tungsten DS. I have a May, a Bliss, and an iFi power station with a supernova connecting to the PowerStation. Typically I play music via my M1 MacBook Pro through Apple Music (which has limitations like not locking the audio channel and so on), and I am using the stock Audeze cable for the LCD-5. If you look at my signature you can see other details as well.

I will try connecting the May to my 2018 iPad Pro and try Apple Music that way, it's noticeably better than using the MBP and also a better experience, to see if the resolution is there.

I find the LCD-5 so far to work well with rock music, but other genres tend to have timbre issues and that boosted treble can ruin some songs. But I want to try more genres and more songs to see how it fares overall. I liked the LCD-5 during my trial at CanJam NYC '23, it had that realistic drum sound, but I didn't find that so with my short trial at home.

So what I should I tweak?

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #6,722 of 6,785
I have an LCD-5 on loan, but one thing I'm noticing so far with my short time with it is that it has less resolution compared to my Susvara and Tungsten DS. I have a May, a Bliss, and an iFi power station with a supernova connecting to the PowerStation. Typically I play music via my M1 MacBook Pro through Apple Music (which has limitations like not locking the audio channel and so on), and I am using the stock Audeze cable for the LCD-5. If you look at my signature you can see other details as well.

I will try connecting the May to my 2018 iPad Pro and try Apple Music that way, it's noticeably better than using the MBP and also a better experience, to see if the resolution is there.

I find the LCD-5 so far to work well with rock music, but other genres tend to have timbre issues and that boosted treble can ruin some songs. But I want to try more genres and more songs to see how it fares overall. I liked the LCD-5 during my trial at CanJam NYC '23, it had that realistic drum sound, but I didn't find that so with my short trial at home.

So what I should I tweak?
First off, a new LCD-5 will have stiff pads, so give them a few dozen hours of listening to break them in.

Secondly, many people will find that the LCD-5 has a dip in the 5-7kz region, or even rolled off treble. I have found that EQ helps tremendously here, but since everyone's ears differ by a large margin in this frequency range, you will have to discover your own EQ preference through trial and error.

I would highly recommend going back and reading this thread, or use the search function for "EQ". It has been brought up a few dozen times, so no one will be able to provide you with info that is not already in this thread. Best of luck!

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #6,723 of 6,785
The Mitch B convolution filter (if you use ROON or have the software to run it) helps markedly with the LCD-5 tuning idiosyncrasies. I'm yet to hear why Audeze made the decisions that they did but it does respond well to the usual tweaks (e.g. EQ and/or cable or source rolling).

The LCD-5 has less resolution than a well driven Susvara. Whether this matters to you is a personal matter. I'd argue it is on par if not just a tad better in the resolution aspect than Utopia so the LCD-5 is not lacking by any means.

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #6,724 of 6,785
The Mitch B convolution filter (if you use ROON or have the software to run it) helps markedly with the LCD-5 tuning idiosyncrasies. I'm yet to hear why Audeze made the decisions that they did but it does respond well to the usual tweaks (e.g. EQ and/or cable or source rolling).

The LCD-5 has less resolution than a well driven Susvara. Whether this matters to you is a personal matter. I'd argue it is on par if not just a tad better in the resolution aspect than Utopia so the LCD-5 is not lacking by any means.

Helo.

What sources were these assessments made and were both in stock form equally driven?

As mentioned by others, the dip in treble is quite apparent in comparison but more of a tuning balance rather than resolving ability based on my experiences at the jam. There were no extra details in anything heard, just more apparent frequencies here vs. there.

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #6,725 of 6,785
I own both a Sus and an LCD 5, and after proper EQ, IMO the 5 makes the Sus sound slightly veiled. My gear is listed below. But, as has been stated throughout this thread, you need to EQ to your own hearing deficiencies. The 5's take EQ like no other HP I have owned.

Feb 19, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #6,726 of 6,785
if I'm not riding bareback I'm not riding

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #6,727 of 6,785
I own both a Sus and an LCD 5, and after proper EQ, IMO the 5 makes the Sus sound slightly veiled. My gear is listed below. But, as has been stated throughout this thread, you need to EQ to your own hearing deficiencies. The 5's take EQ like no other HP I have owned.
I concur, which is why I sold my Susvara.

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #6,731 of 6,785
Is the Caldera a better headphone than LCD-5?
I have both and like both. Hard to say one is ‘better” than the other. For what it’s worth the Caldera is a more popular headphone on Head-fi these days and so from that perspective the “safer” blind purchase if you can’t audition both. And cheaper too.

The LCD 5 tends to polarise people a bit more. Some on this thread think it’s the best headphone there is - especially with the right EQ/convolution filter. I’ve had periods where I’ve preferred it to my Susvaras.

At the moment I’m in a Caldera phase. I prefer the richer mid-range and punchier mid bass to both. Next week it might be the Susvaras with the edge on detail and refinement, larger soundstage and better sub-bass. What i can say is that since I got the Calderas I’ve listened to the LCD 5 less. It’s performing the role that the LCD5 used to perform vs the Susvara (i.e. the punchier/richer sounding headphone). The only area where I think LCD5 might be better than both the Susvara and the Calderas is in the upper treble especially for those that are treble sensitive. The Caldera can be a bit splashy for some users (which is why ZMF produced the mantle mesh). And occasionally I find the Susvaras a little bright. The LCD5 is never splashy. If you are sensitive to sibilance and splashy treble then the LCD 5 is the best I’ve heard. I find it an “easy” listen - the most relaxing of the 3 headphones. And yet some hear it differently and call it bright because of the forward mid-range (I’ve never had that problem even with no EQ/convolution).

It’s just so personal at this level.

I’m happy to keep all 3 headphones as they are all different. I haven’t heard the perfect headphone yet and doubt I ever will - which is part of the beauty of this hobby. You can have multiple headphones. Much harder in the 2 channel world to have multiple speakers….

And then there’s things like aesthetics which the ZMF crowd rave over. I do like the look of my Caldera’s but it’s not a decisive factor for me. Comfort too. Some find the LCD5 clamps too hard. But for me both the Calderas and the LCD5 have a similar clamp level - it’s the Susvaras that win on the comfort front.

So many things to consider.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #6,732 of 6,785
I am a little bit on the other side of the coin. I have both the Caldera and LCD-5. I find I spend most of the time with the LCD-5. I use a convolution filter plus a PEQ filter with the 5 and have the headphone tune to just my preference. While my experience is limited I do believe from my experience and reading the LCD-5 takes to EQ better than any other headphone. I do like the Caldera very much. I find I enjoy it more out of my SS amplifier(Lau) than my tube amp (WA33 EE). I usually use the Caldera for casual listening while reading of watching tv. It pairs great with my Acro CA1000. This is my 3rd ZMF headphone and I have always been puzzled by the perception of brightness of ZMF headphones. My Auteur was bright until a pad change cured that but I consider the Verite Open and Caldera rolled off on the top end. I am sure the Mantle Mesh would be a disaster for me. We all have different ears and that is how the ZMF top end sounds to mine.

I have never tried a Susvara ever. I was so disappointed in the various versions of the HEK that I heard that I never wanted to even try the Susvara. Maybe I am missing out but not the type of listener to bounce between pieces of equipment. Two headphones are enough to have at one time for me.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #6,734 of 6,785
interesting for me during my short time with the lcd-5 I found them so forward and aggressive that I had to sell them..we all hear things differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back