Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Aug 11, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #5,686 of 6,785
You might like the LCD-4, it's quite intoxicating though more laid back and less detailed than the 5. Which may be exactly what you're looking for...
Or the 4z

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #5,687 of 6,785
I have an LCD-5 and listened to the LCD-XC at CanJam London. Very impressive.... if you would like to have a Closed Back Headphone. Nice Bass... more so than the LCD-5 but treble is much calmer but still of great quality.

Aug 12, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #5,688 of 6,785
Anyone know of another headphone that has forward midrange other than LCD5? Maybe not as forward? TC, Solitaire P, Susvara mid range is more recessed. Trying to find something that does well for 90s hip hop. LCD5 sounded good but found the mid range to be too forward. Too much energy and not as balanced as I would have liked. I did not want to EQ due to my specific setup.
You might like the STAX 007, although it will require a new amp haha

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #5,689 of 6,785
Yeah, it's unfortunate that I came across these Silverstone EBA01 stands right after they were made EOL because of poor sales. Now I share photos and people want to buy them! Silverstone has no plans to bring them back into production so if you see them on Amazon etc then this would be a great buy at the discontinued price (~$50ish) for the thick CNC-machined and chamfered aluminium construction in silver or black finishes.

Those are my favorite headphone stands! I've got 6 of them myself, and I would buy two more in a heartbeat. They're beautiful and will hold  any two headphones no problem. Sad to hear they are OOP.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #5,690 of 6,785
How are the LCD-5 with tubes? Anyone have favourite tube amp pairings?

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #5,691 of 6,785
I’m using Cayin HA-300 Mk1 for LCD-5 and they sound wonderful. Lifelike is the word that comes to mind at first. It is resolving, with great instruments texture, nice soundstage, great imaging. The only downside is the bass. I’m using stock tubes and with them the bass is not full enough. It has resolution, can punch but after listening on other amps (Burson Soloist 3x, Ferrum Oor and Enleum Amp-23R) I know that LCD-5 can be better. I used once Soloist as a pre-amp to Cayin, so the bass was far more pronounced but it degraded in quality.

Still I like that paring but I’m not sure yet if it’s better than Oor or Amp-23R (they are a bit smoother so the texture is not as good as on Cayin).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #5,692 of 6,785
I pair the LCD-5 with the Envy amp and Elrog 300B so the bass is not lacking at ALL. My other tube amp is a Bigger Ben with GEC KT88 and Tele G73-R. I foolishly thought I had reached the pinnacle in sound with the BB and LCD-5 until the Envy. They are both really nice with the 5's!

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #5,693 of 6,785
I pair the LCD-5 with a Woo WA33 EE. I just got a quad of the new Takatsuki 2A3 in this week. The LCD-5s are really singing with increased soundstage and separation of instruments.

Aug 17, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #5,696 of 6,785
I pair the LCD-5 with a Woo WA33 EE. I just got a quad of the new Takatsuki 2A3 in this week. The LCD-5s are really singing with increased soundstage and separation of instruments.
WOW! And, I wish you were next door to me so that I could check out that setup. 🤣

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #5,698 of 6,785
Some of you have been asking for this comparison! Here are my thoughts!

Here is our first look video too!

Excellent video and wonderful review as usual brother. Please keep up the good work.

As for your comparison, I agree with your LCD-5 sound impressions. Its such a technical headphone and yet, its musical nontheless. I also agree that certain tones in the LCD-5, mainly the mids and mid bass is tuned differently than previous Audeze cans. So the LCD-5 may not be for everyone. I also own a LCD-X 2021 and I prefer certain upper/upper mid frequencies on the LCD-X but the 5 does everything else much much better. I use both Audeze cans everyday and they each have their strength in certain categories.

I think your video is a wonderful tribute to the LCD-5 and its technical abilities while also praising the capabilities of the MM500 at such a cheaper price point. Thank you for your hard work.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #5,699 of 6,785
This past Friday we all headed over to the Greta Van Fleet concert here in Toronto...it was an absolute blast! Tonight, I've playing their music through the LCD-5 and holy moly...it's like I'm transported back to Scotiabank Arena! These headphones rock! :L3000:

Aug 21, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #5,700 of 6,785
I liked them initially but sold them soon after I bought them...way too forward and aggressive for me but I know others feel differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back