Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #2,836 of 6,785
I do miss the Audeze house sound with the LCD-5. Is there somewhere in this thread that folks have parametric eq recommendations?
I imagine if you just suck out all 3k region you'd get close to the "House sound" hahaha.

Resolve posted one up on headphones.com, looks alright. Still waiting for me set though, yet to try.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #2,837 of 6,785
From Audeze:
1. The LCD-5 has adjustable tension on the headband rods. This can be changed by inserting a 5/64" hex key in to the indent on the side of the adjustment block:
Thanks for the clarification on the correct tool and size.
What @Terco showed a photo of, and said it fit was a Torx driver, is I assumed it was a Torx head screw.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #2,838 of 6,785
This is the actual screw, as I posted before.

11625025.jpeg

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #2,839 of 6,785
This is the actual screw, as I posted before.

11625025.jpeg
i must say @Currawong , that's a heck of a photo. And also, just want to give a shout out to you. the specified 5/64" hex is essentially what you said earlier in the thread; of course you specified with the near equivalent metric measurement.

I do have a question though - I tightened the screw and now the slider stays in place but i still have a problem. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment I can make to keep the cup from swivelling so loosely around the slider? I still find it very difficult to place the headphone at rest with the cups perpindiciular to a flat surface without the cup rolling over and the headphone falling to the side. This will eventually cause scratches if I am not careful.

One other comment - there seems to be so much play in the headband (lack of rigidity) and also at the point where the sliders goes through the headband that when one places the headphone on the head they must do so carefully to avoid the headband from twisting as one cup often sits forward of the other. just my 2 cents - the headband could use greater rigidity and, on my unit anyway, there should be less rotation of the headband at the point where the headband rotates around the slider - actually, not 100% sure, but my problem might be a combination of the looseness of rotation between the headband and slider as well as the looseness of rotation between the cup and slider now that I examine more closely. Not sure folks are interested but if I do learn something from Audeze I will post here as others may beneftit. I cannot imagine i am the only one with this problem?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #2,841 of 6,785
i must say @Currawong , that's a heck of a photo. And also, just want to give a shout out to you. the specified 5/64" hex is essentially what you said earlier in the thread; of course you specified with the near equivalent metric measurement.

I do have a question though - I tightened the screw and now the slider stays in place but i still have a problem. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment I can make to keep the cup from swivelling so loosely around the slider? I still find it very difficult to place the headphone at rest with the cups perpindiciular to a flat surface without the cup rolling over and the headphone falling to the side. This will eventually cause scratches if I am not careful.

One other comment - there seems to be so much play in the headband (lack of rigidity) that when one places the headphone on the head they must do so carefully to avoid the headband from twisting as one cup often sits forward of the other. just my 2 cents - the headband could use greater rigidity.
Mine are doing the Chubbie Checker too on my head. I have to fiddle for a moment or two to get them straightened out.

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,842 of 6,785
Yup. Same. Although I have ordered a Diana TC because why not. I figured I'll end up with 1266 TC, SR1a, SR2a and Valkyria until the next decade improves.
I'm really looking forward to your comparison. How close Diana TC gets to the PHI TC. A comparison to the LCD 5 would also be very informative.

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #2,843 of 6,785
I'm really looking forward to your comparison. How close Diana TC gets to the PHI TC. A comparison to the LCD 5 would also be very informative.

This is also the comparison I am really looking for also, as I have owned two Diana Phi's in the past, the first time I loved them, the second time I went completely the other way and disliked the sound so much so that I cant help but think there was some sort of fault with them. I am looking at the LCD5 along with the Final D8000 Pro and Diana Phi's as my single TOTL headphone, so would be really interested for comparisons also.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,844 of 6,785

One other comment - there seems to be so much play in the headband (lack of rigidity) and also at the point where the sliders goes through the headband that when one places the headphone on the head they must do so carefully to avoid the headband from twisting as one cup often sits forward of the other. just my 2 cents - the headband could use greater rigidity and, on my unit anyway, there should be less rotation of the headband at the point where the headband rotates around the slider - actually, not 100% sure, but my problem might be a combination of the looseness of rotation between the headband and slider as well as the looseness of rotation between the cup and slider now that I examine more closely. Not sure folks are interested but if I do learn something from Audeze I will post here as others may beneftit. I cannot imagine i am the only one with this problem?
Sounds like a spring mechanism in the headband is loose/missing entirely. If you can deal with it, I would just wait for audeze to send you a replacement headband. I wouldn't want to go that long waiting for my LCD-5 again!

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,845 of 6,785
I’ve had ground loop hum with the LCD5 as well. I was concerned until I realized it was only when my iPad (streamer remote) was plugged in and I was using it while listening. If I don’t touch the iPad or unplug it while using it, there’s no hum. Based on the number of people experiencing ground loops with the LCD5, I’m guessing it has to do with the low impedance…or perhaps what appears to be the metal screen/mesh over the driver that is making us part of the circuit when our ears touch it. Didn’t happen with the LCD4, but easily resolved in my case.

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,846 of 6,785
I’ve had ground loop hum with the LCD5 as well. I was concerned until I realized it was only when my iPad (streamer remote) was plugged in and I was using it while listening. If I don’t touch the iPad or unplug it while using it, there’s no hum. Based on the number of people experiencing ground loops with the LCD5, I’m guessing it has to do with the low impedance…or perhaps what appears to be the metal screen/mesh over the driver that is making us part of the circuit when our ears touch it. Didn’t happen with the LCD4, but easily resolved in my case.
Interesting.

Directly grounding whatever its plugged into with a iFi Groundhog or DIY version tends to do the trick.

Nov 17, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #2,847 of 6,785
I am afraid I'm going to have that problem. I love listening to headphones but my ears are, shall we say, "elephantine"...something is always rubbing against the pad or grill. And having large pinna doesn't help so I need huge openings in earpads to fit comfortably (even LCD 2-4 earpads or Empy earpads needed constant adjustment). So I either need to:

1. Trim all the external ear bits - although that just might affect the sound...or
2. Glue all the sticky-outy ear-bit parts to the sides of my head and hope the pads work on-ear...

Further helpful suggestions would be appreciated...
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends
For #1 I can tell you that it actually does affect the sound! I had my left ear lobe swell up pretty badly from some weird histamine reaction some years back, and it never properly regained its original shape at the bottom. So that ear lobe is longer and hangs down more than the other (and adds quite a bit to my already dizzying good looks no doubt). Over time I've realized I now have a left/right imbalance where sound at that ear sounds a little odd. I suspect it is because the larger surface area of that earlobe is changing the behavior of internal reflections and cancellations within the earcup, but it presents as both a tonal shift and sometimes as a slight level imbalance too.

I probably need an earpad that sags on one side to balance things out. :)

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,848 of 6,785
I do miss the Audeze house sound with the LCD-5. Is there somewhere in this thread that folks have parametric eq recommendations?
As an "Audeze house sound EQ-by-ear profile creation enthusiast" and "Harman is slightly too upper mid forward and slightly too bassy...person" I would be happy to offer another EQ profile for LCD-5 without *any* usage of automatic EQ generation software, which I firmly believe does not achieve as enjoyable a result. For example, boosting the classic 4.5k or so Audeze LCD "dip" on previous models just doesn't sound great, which I believe @KMann may have mentioned at least once somewhere on the forum previously. Anyway, I can only do this if Audeze is willing to send me a loaner, but I don't want to slow down any of their orders. I hope they can eventually provide me with one.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #2,849 of 6,785
As an "Audeze house sound EQ-by-ear profile creation enthusiast" and "Harman is slightly too upper mid forward and slightly too bassy...person" I would be happy to offer another EQ profile for LCD-5 without *any* usage of automatic EQ generation software, which I firmly believe does not achieve as enjoyable a result. For example, boosting the classic 4.5k or so Audeze LCD "dip" on previous models just doesn't sound great, which I believe @KMann may have mentioned at least once somewhere on the forum previously. Anyway, I can only do this if Audeze is willing to send me a loaner, but I don't want to slow down any of their orders. I hope they can eventually provide me with one.
They're too scared Metal

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #2,850 of 6,785
I asked earlier in the thread but am still confused. Since the WA7 can be a preamp, am I right in thinking I can connect to another more powerful amp? Is it worth exploring more power than this WA7 with 1.5 @4 ohms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back