Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #2,851 of 6,820
So I got my LCD-5 with a trade-in of an LCD-4Z. I don’t think I’ve given it enough time, but I’ve heard enough to think I was happier with the LCD-4Z.

I’m going to send the LCD-5 back.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #2,853 of 6,820
So I got my LCD-5 with a trade-in of an LCD-4Z. I don’t think I’ve given it enough time, but I’ve heard enough to think I was happier with the LCD-4Z.

So what's thing that's turning you off to switch back? Kinda wonder if I'll end up doing the same.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,854 of 6,820
Only an hour in. Threw every genre at it that I could think of. Initial impressions are that it's arguably the most well-rounded headphone on the market among TOTLs, in its ability to play well with any and every genre. The tonality is great. My worries about the shouty midrange and the subdued treble don't hold true, and I have headphones that do treble well (Susvara; arguably the SR1a; etc). The treble is there and sufficient, so far it seems.

1.jpg

Soundstage is narrow on some tracks, but interestingly out-of-the-head on a few I have tried so far (Tool's Pneuma for instance). Overall, I like the imaging and staging despite being relatively intimate because it does form a "fleshed-out" arc in front of me.

Speed is noticeable and impressive. Slam, bass energy, they are all there, but a tad less noticeable than on the LCD4, for obvious tonal differences, but I don't mind. I like the trade-off's entailed.

2.JPG

I love the snug fit. There are zero comfort issues. And I have a gargantuan noggin' if you have seen my YT vidoes.

Overall, Audeze may have hit it out of the park in terms of being on the right side of inevitable trade-off's, as far as my listening preferences go.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #2,855 of 6,820
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #2,856 of 6,820
Only an hour in. Threw every genre at it that I could think of. Initial impressions are that it's arguably the most well-rounded headphone on the market among TOTLs, in its ability to play well with any and every genre. The tonality is great. My worries about the shouty midrange and the subdued treble don't hold true, and I have headphones that do treble well (Susvara; arguably the SR1a; etc). The treble is there and sufficient, so far it seems.

1.jpg

Soundstage is narrow on some tracks, but interestingly out-of-the-head on a few I have tried so far (Tool's Pneuma for instance). Overall, I like the imaging and staging despite being relatively intimate because it does form a "fleshed-out" arc in front of me.

Speed is noticeable and impressive. Slam, bass energy, they are all there, but a tad less noticeable than on the LCD4, for obvious tonal differences, but I don't mind. I like the trade-off's entailed.

2.JPG

I love the snug fit. There are zero comfort issues. And I have a gargantuan noggin' if you have seen my YT vidoes.

Overall, Audeze may have hit it out of the park in terms of being on the right side of inevitable trade-off's, as far as my listening preferences go.
high praise from somebody whose opinion I value....mine arrive Friday

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #2,858 of 6,820
A trend? Care to elaborate?
I get the feeling it's more towards Audeze's house sound than actual technical "deficiency". Quite a few head-fiers have professed that they preferred the Audeze house sound to the LCD-5 which is a step in a different approach to tuning. Much like how the bass seems "less" on the LCD-5 when compared to the LCD-4s.

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #2,860 of 6,820
I get the feeling it's more towards Audeze's house sound than actual technical "deficiency". Quite a few head-fiers have professed that they preferred the Audeze house sound to the LCD-5 which is a step in a different approach to tuning. Much like how the bass seems "less" on the LCD-5 when compared to the LCD-4s.
simple, keep the LCD-4 then...personally I sold the LCD-4 years ago although I did buy it back briefly...I welcome the new tuning and should receive Friday I believe

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #2,861 of 6,820

1.jpg

2.JPG

I'll have mine tomorrow. I missed my delivery today. I can't wait to hear what they sound like. I hope to hear them like you're hearing them.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #2,862 of 6,820

I never planned on getting rid of my LCD-4Z's. Everything I have been reading about the LCD-5's was telling me that they are breakaway from the old Audeze sound. I wanted the LCD-5's mainly to replace my Susvara's and HEKse's that I no longer have. They seem to be more inline with the super detailed, airy, transparent type of sound. I'll know more tomorrow.

Nov 18, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #2,863 of 6,820
I know the LCD-5 is not LCD-X, in other words most studios (correct me if I'm wrong) use the LCD-X as mixing so now they should use the LCD-5 instead of are they still going to use the LCD-X.

So in other words, the LCD-5 is a reference as the LCD-X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back