Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,446 of 6,820
The dumbest part is the stance that a headphone should be tuned perfectly for your preferences, or you don't buy it.

Every product in the world has trade offs, live with or work around. I bet some of these same people used to Jail Break their phones, or overlcok their PC.

Anyway.

Sitting here waiting for my LCD5 to say its on its way.

What’s really odd about the “tuned perfectly” stance is that the headphone would only be tuned perfectly for someone who’s head and ear canal shape were identical to the rig the “perfectly tuned” headphone was measured on.

That’s also a largely undiscussed element of EQ. People focus on “fixing” raw headphone response rather than the opportunity EQ presents to address the large variances in physiology and individual psychoacoustics. And personal preference.

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #2,447 of 6,820
Anyone know any good systemwide eq’s on Mac? That also have the ability to change shapes at frequencies (high/low shelf, etc)?
Been trying out Roon’s parametric EQ but am looking for a systemwide program
https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

with either

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-3-equalizer-plug-in

or (you don't need equilibrium (their flagship EQ) for headphone EQ'ing purposes, equick sounds the same, is cheaper, and retains much of the same functionality)

https://dmgaudio.com/products_equick.php

I prefer Fab Filter Pro-Q3, but can understand why some people prefer DMG audio's products.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #2,448 of 6,820
Hey, as a non-partisan realist, I've got to admit that it seems these two topics are here to stay for the time being.. So to spread some joy around Happy Halloween to all fans and foes of EQ and Burn-in alike :

tumblr_nczbqf86Iw1rel3oho1_500.gifv
afcc189dc8011306edcd40432f9eae0e96742ba0r1-500-500_00.gif
framed-posters-flaming-skull-in-headphones.jpg.jpg
3dae9ec6d9bbfd7402e0efd8ca83d5e1.gif

To make it all legit and topical, if it is not already, I am currently "burning in" my LCD-5 and loving every 24 hour lap of it :):):)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #2,449 of 6,820
Soundsource mentioned above has a few other possibilities. You can download the free Audeze Reveal plugins and use them in sound source if you have Audeze headphones. In fact you can use any VST plugins in Soundsource. Soundsource also allows you to import various premade open source Harman oriented filters designed for specific headphone brands and models. As I remember they’re actually addressable from inside the app. Lastly, Apple has a built in Parametric equaliser that’s a pain but fully functional. You open a new Apple PEQ filter for each frequency you want to mess with and you can set the frequency, the db plus/minus and the q setting. You can’t do things like shelf or peak/dip etc. You can’t see the overall effect, only set the individual filters. You can then save and then name the set and as I vaguely remember then switch between them. I’m not near my mac to check on this last point.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #2,450 of 6,820
Well, it sat at Fedex sort facility since 1pm today with no change and no delivery at 8pm while I waited here all day on my day off. Seriously, never pay for overnight even with other companies. They usually never deliver.

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #2,453 of 6,820
Okay, I usually do not consider myself to be a bass head, but since burn-in Season is also a little bit of "anything goes" season, at least in my book, I'm taking a little hiatus to enjoy some bass cannons from these guys :

Present chain : Metrum Acoustics Ambre ==>> Sonnet Morpheus ==>> Niimbus US4 ==>> LCD-5

Verdict :

09d64812143855.56257f1adf776.gif
d1cb3db81ee8f95bfa6c0e3591ec4c18_original.gif

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #2,454 of 6,820
it seems like Audeze got the parts they need..I was told a week ago that it will be 4 weeks late:L3000:
Ah man, my shows coming until next week.

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #2,455 of 6,820
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #2,456 of 6,820
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #2,457 of 6,820
Nov 4, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #2,458 of 6,820
Nov 4, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #2,459 of 6,820
Nov 4, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,460 of 6,820
What’s really odd about the “tuned perfectly” stance is that the headphone would only be tuned perfectly for someone who’s head and ear canal shape were identical to the rig the “perfectly tuned” headphone was measured on.

That’s also a largely undiscussed element of EQ. People focus on “fixing” raw headphone response rather than the opportunity EQ presents to address the large variances in physiology and individual psychoacoustics. And personal preference.
Not just the physiology. The recordings also vary a lot. I find myself OK with one recording and want to EQ with the next one with the same HP setup. As also was written here, it also changes during the day, also with the pressure. There was a paper about the mids frequency perception changing with the pressure.

Years of research on HPs and there is nothing that everyone likes - like HT only satisfying only a big percentage of the population but not everyone. My personal take on the tuning is having a well controlled, resonance / distortion free, close to HT tuning that is more agreeable and easier to tune via EQ.

But at the same time, when a manufacturer releases a $4000+ HP with "huge" deviations from the target, with big bumps and dips, for me that means the manufacturer didn't do its homework well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back