Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 3, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,431 of 6,820
Day two (technically hour number 2 hahah):

There's still a bit of a "hotspot" at the top but overall clamp isn't as obtrusive as the first time, much like my experience with the Solitaire P-SE headband.
Oh, forgot to mention that I'm also wearing glasses and it doesn't affect the comfort of the headphones.

I'm only listening to Katie Melua for this session to better grasp what I've heard with female vocals yesterday. I mentioned a kinda veil and it's still kinda there but it's more like an envelope or pocket so to speak. This encapsulation has a sort of effect similar to that of covering your ears when listening to speakers or covering the ports of open back headphones. Muffled sort of masking but doesn't affect the voicing of the female vocals. It's subtle.
Yup I’ve found that since the 5’s do clamp a bit, condensation will form on the inside cups if I wear for a long time. Trying to see if there’s a workaround to this

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,432 of 6,820
Yup I’ve found that since the 5’s do clamp a bit, condensation will form on the inside cups if I wear for a long time. Trying to see if there’s a workaround to this
My right ear will start to get oil / sweat on the inside dust cover, but I haven't had any issues beyond that. I can imagine there might be issues with people who perspire a bit more than me, since the dust cover seems like it would be very permeable to moisture.

When can we expect to see a comparison between the 1266 and LCD-5? :)

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,433 of 6,820
When can we expect to see a comparison between the 1266 and LCD-5? :)
The TC is a unique headphone, very different from any other headphone, imo. Comparisons between TC and eg Susvara will likely be similar to the comparison you're after.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,434 of 6,820
Interestingly I used the Air Gap trick today that I used with the 1266TC and find that the LCD5 gives the same sort of increased bass percussion (air movement) that the 1266TC does with the air gap between the cups and my head. Now if DMS could make some modded pads for the LCD5 that have a pointed corner on them so I can get the air gap without holding the cups a 6 or 7mm away from my head then I would have more fun with some EDM music :)

Not a true request for the black and white thinkers here just 'taking the piss' with a wee bit of seriousness. It does work the same as the 1266TC.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,435 of 6,820
Interestingly I used the Air Gap trick today that I used with the 1266TC and find that the LCD5 gives the same sort of increased bass percussion (air movement) that the 1266TC does with the air gap between the cups and my head. Now if DMS could make some modded pads for the LCD5 that have a pointed corner on them so I can get the air gap without holding the cups a 6 or 7mm away from my head then I would have more fun with some EDM music :)

Not a true request for the black and white thinkers here just 'taking the piss' with a wee bit of seriousness. It does work the same as the 1266TC.
Yes it does too with the Susvara. Some have suggested, quite seriously, to leave one of the tabs of the earpad loose to simulate this effect. I might actually give that a try..😊

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,436 of 6,820

Not that I recommend doing this, someone has tried removing the earpads on a LCD-4 and added Dekoni nuggets to 'float' the LCD-4 and was really thrilled by the results (and of course had to add a bass shelf).

In the case of LCD-5, with the earpads just floating, The sound stage becomes a bit bigger, vocals a bit more outside the head, sound is a little more airy/diffuse (which may not be a bad thing based on preference), bass is a little less controlled and the resonance can give the perception of hitting hard, but I need to build a robotic arm to do that for me :)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,437 of 6,820
Not that I recommend doing this, someone has tried removing the earpads on a LCD-4 an adding Dekoni nuggets to 'float' the LCD-4 and was really thrilled by the results (and of course had to add a bass shelf).

In the case of LCD-5, with the earpads just floating, The sound stage becomes a bit bigger, vocals a bit more outside the head, sound is a little more airy/diffuse (which may not be a bad thing based on preference), bass is a little less controlled and the resonance can give the perception of hitting hard, but I need to build a robotic arm to do that for me :)
:floatsmile::robot::jecklinsmile::robot::floatsmile:

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,438 of 6,820
Do you mean "speed" in the first paragraph, and possibly "loss of fidelity" in the second? I would only call the latter perhaps transparency (in the sense of the mythical wire with gain analogy). The field of TOTL headphones regarding "speed" is not easy to generalize, gets even harder when including IEMs (I perceive my Tia Fourte Noir and Shure KSE1500 to be quite nimble ...).
I do not like to use 'Speed' as often times I have seen speed used to describe drivers that I feel are not transparent, 'Speed' is used to describe a treble quality rather than the literal ability of the transducer to accelerate or decelerate or change directions. I have had a hard time putting in words what transparency means but for those who have experienced it, it is immediately obvious. It is a sense of realism you get (not necessarily tonal accuracy) but the sense that the transducer has just dissolved away. Real life sound sources are not true point sources and should not sound like they emanate from transducers, it is a sense you get when sound is closer to how real instruments produce them, how the notes are produced over the three dimensional space and how they propagate in time.
It would be interesting to hear more about your first hand experience comparing e.g. LCD-5 vs. CRBN? To keep things "in the family" and avoid appearance of commercial bias (e.g. trickier to have a conversation LCD-5 vs. Raal SR1a and not become distracted by such considerations)?
This a tough one, I am sure I have mentioned this before. Tonally they are quite similar (to nitpick, CRBN has slightly smoother treble, LCD-5 has more bass quantity), but they have very different presentations so it will come down to preferences. To my ears, CRBN driven out of DAVE/ KGSSHV Carbon vs LCD-5 driven directly out of Chord DAVE are about the same in transparency. Both of them scale equally well with change in source and are revealing of upstream changes and they scaled well when I used upsampling. Because of the larger drivers on CRBN, CRBN has a slightly bigger and taller sound stage but slightly diffuse compared to LCD-5. Then there is also what you can expect from electrostats, CRBN is bit more airy while LCD-5 is more focused and dynamic. LCD-5 tries to grab your attention will CRBN lets you just relax into the music. CRBN is lighter and more comfortable. I listen to them both, depending on mood but LCD-5 gets more of my head time because of of my preferences.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,439 of 6,820
I do not like to use 'Speed' as often times I have seen speed used with drivers I feel are not transparent, 'Speed' is used to describe a treble quality rather than the literal ability of the transducer to accelerate or decelerate or change directions. I have had a hard time putting in words what transparency means but for those who have experienced it, it is immediately obvious. It is a sense of realism you get (not necessarily tonal accuracy) but the sense that the transducer has just dissolved away. Real life sound sources are not true point sources and should not sound like they emanate from transducers, it is a sense you get when sound is closer to how real instruments produce them, how the notes are produced over the three dimensional space and how they propagate in time.

This a tough one, I am sure I have mentioned this before. Tonally they are quite similar (to nitpick, CRBN has slightly smoother treble, LCD-5 has more bass quantity), but they have very different presentations so it will come down to preferences. To my ears, CRBN driven out of DAVE/ KGSSHV Carbon vs LCD-5 driven directly out of Chord DAVE are about the same in transparency. Because of the larger drivers on CRBN, CRBN has a slightly bigger and taller sound stage but slightly diffuse compared to LCD-5. Then there is also what you can expect from electrostats, CRBN is bit more airy while LCD-5 is more focused and dynamic. LCD-5 tries to grab your attention will CRBN lets you just relax into the music. CRBN is lighter and more comfortable. I use them both, depending on mood but LCD-5 gets more of my head time because of of my preferences.
Thx for the CRBN LCD-5 comparison.
Reinforces my decision to go for the CRBN

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,440 of 6,820
For the sake of argument: Say i start to EQ all my headphones and trust that the software i use doesn't cause a loss of transparency. What target do i EQ to? Whatever some guy on the internet tells me to? Why would i trust him more than the people who make the gear? Also, is that guy using that headphone with my chain? And even so, how exactly would i validate my results (I know the people just assume they are right, but i'm more ocd )
Because newsflash i wasn't in the room of the recording, i have no idea how a lot of the instruments actually sound live, not to mention the room and mastering.
Subjective improvement is my point. If it's objective, why doesn't the manufacturer use that default tuning out of the box? You can add a filter to a photo to make it more to your liking, but you can't add more resolution. And the same filter won't work for all photos. And i honestly don't care that much so as to go through all this. YMMV. First world problems.
You don't have to trust anyone. You can try a profile for 5 minutes and see if you like it. And you can also create your own stuff by experimention too.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,441 of 6,820
You don't have to trust anyone. You can try a profile for 5 minutes and see if you like it. And you can also create your own stuff by experimention too.
1635978605635.gif

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,442 of 6,820

Thats exactly the thing about EQ that I don't understand why some people get so worked up about it.

Its free, entirely non destructive, and easily reversible. One click, boom its off.

If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't. Simples.

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #2,443 of 6,820
Thats exactly the thing about EQ that I don't understand why some people get so worked up about it.

Its free, entirely non destructive, and easily reversible. One click, boom its off.

If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't. Simples.
The dumbest part is the stance that a headphone should be tuned perfectly for your preferences, or you don't buy it.

Every product in the world has trade offs, live with or work around. I bet some of these same people used to Jail Break their phones, or overlcok their PC.

Anyway.

Sitting here waiting for my LCD5 to say its on its way.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #2,444 of 6,820
The dumbest part is the stance that a headphone should be tuned perfectly for your preferences, or you don't buy it.

Every product in the world has trade offs, live with or work around. I bet some of these same people used to Jail Break their phones, or overlcok their PC.

Anyway.

Sitting here waiting for my LCD5 to say its on its way.
LCD 5 vs D8000 interesting stuff. Keep us posted

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,445 of 6,820
Anyone know any good systemwide eq’s on Mac? That also have the ability to change shapes at frequencies (high/low shelf, etc)?
Been trying out Roon’s parametric EQ but am looking for a systemwide program

Users who are viewing this thread

Back