Audeze LCD-4
Nov 17, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #7,876 of 11,995
I am NOT looking to make the LCD-4 into a bright headphone. I love the dark tonality and the detail to my ears is at least equal to the Susvara and Abyss TC to my ears.. I also think the treble is very very clear; just wish it did not dip so much.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #7,877 of 11,995
I am NOT looking to make the LCD-4 into a bright headphone. I love the dark tonality and the detail to my ears is at least equal to the Susvara and Abyss TC to my ears.. I also think the treble is very very clear; just wish it did not dip so much.

You can remedy the dip through EQ.. these have such low distortion its not an issue at all :) im afraid there isnt really another option as the range you need to boost is quite specific

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #7,878 of 11,995
I demoed this headphone a few times and it felt comfy and it sounded very nice. There was one weird thing about it , the sound sounded left and right of me but there was like nothing in front of me nor was there sound at my 45° angles , just left and right.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #7,879 of 11,995
I demoed this headphone a few times and it felt comfy and it sounded very nice. There was one weird thing about it , the sound sounded left and right of me but there was like nothing in front of me nor was there sound at my 45° angles , just left and right.
Interesting. What dac/amp combos were the demos? Mine have PLENTY of front, 45 degree, and even rear 120 degree sound. I know from experience that the 4s are extremely revealing of the dac and amp. If either isn’t up to the three dimensional sound task, the 4s won’t fake it. They really tell it like it is with upstream gear.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #7,880 of 11,995
Interesting. What dac/amp combos were the demos? Mine have PLENTY of front, 45 degree, and even rear 120 degree sound. I know from experience that the 4s are extremely revealing of the dac and amp. If either isn’t up to the three dimensional sound task, the 4s won’t fake it. They really tell it like it is with upstream gear.
I used Chord TT2 , HUGO 2 , and Centrance dac/amp.

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #7,881 of 11,995

That's strange to me as well. That's what set them apart from my HD800S (in the time the HD800) in my opinion.
When I just upgraded from LCD-3 to LCD-4, I was honestly a bit underwhelmed. I lost a bit of warmth and (probably added) magic in the tonality that I was accustomed to. Some music (e.g. Leonard Cohen's Show me the place) wowed me less... until I listened more closely and grew accustomed to the new signature. I discovered new details and transients, learned to apreciate the better balance and most of all I suddenly got struck with the most threedimensional sound I ever heard in headphones.

There's probably something left on the table, but finances don't allow me to upgrade from my Auralic Vega and Taurus Mk2 right now.

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #7,882 of 11,995
Something like that could be down to placement on your ears. I have auditioned several HP's that I did not get a proper seating on my head in which I thought they did not image well, but on subsequent auditions they did.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #7,883 of 11,995
Sounds out of phase

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #7,884 of 11,995
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #7,886 of 11,995
I am pretty sure Audeze is not letting a $4K HP out the door out of phase. It is much more likely that the HP was just not seated properly and the focal point of the sound did not properly reach the ear canals, hence bad soundstaging.

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #7,887 of 11,995
I am pretty sure Audeze is not letting a $4K HP out the door out of phase. It is much more likely that the HP was just not seated properly and the focal point of the sound did not properly reach the ear canals, hence bad soundstaging.

I'm only speculating, but seeing as the LCD-4 uses big powerful magnets maybe being near to another powerful magnet (like an unsheilded speaker) could do it? I don't know much about science but I remember learning in elementary school about magnet polarity being switched like that.

Nov 19, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #7,888 of 11,995
Out of phase ?
Yes, polarity reversed on one channel. I’ve heard of one LCD (not 4) that this happened with. Are you using the stock cable, or an aftermarket? The cable could be miswired also. One channel with reversed polarity would kill the center stage and make everything sound diffuse.

Could just be positioning, but I can’t personally position the 4s poorly enough to not have a center stage.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #7,889 of 11,995
Yes, polarity reversed on one channel. I’ve heard of one LCD (not 4) that this happened with. Are you using the stock cable, or an aftermarket? The cable could be miswired also. One channel with reversed polarity would kill the center stage and make everything sound diffuse.

Could just be positioning, but I can’t personally position the 4s poorly enough to not have a center stage.
Ooo , understood. Ill go and redemo it and make sure about the cable.

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #7,890 of 11,995
I've experienced a reverse polarity LCD X unit from an unknown owner, so I'm uncertain if it was modified or not. But the thing is, it's own cable makes go back to in phase when used. So it was a confusing situation when the tech guy who built Audeze cables for my LCD 4 tested his build on the LCD X and 'corrected' his mistake. The funny thing was I insisted that I'd rather he test the cable build with the LCD X that he has on hand vs me having to bring my LCD 4 in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back