Audeze LCD-4
Nov 23, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #7,891 of 11,957
Most certainly intrigued, but am I the only one that prefers the LCD4 without any EQ? Even at times I tried to get myself used to the Reveal plugin, I ended up keeping it around 20-30% wet at most. Not sure if I have an LCD4 with less of the weird dips, or for some reason I actually like them.

I dont use eq. But with the qutest i can change it up a little with the filters. Mostly listen with the neutral.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #7,892 of 11,957
I managed to snag a pair of the LCDi4s from Audeze’s Black Friday b-stock sale before they sold out and I’m wondering what I should expect from them relative to the grown up model LCD-4. Anyone heard both and have a preference? Any chance they could replace the LCD-4 in a headphone collection? Cheers!

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #7,893 of 11,957
Some of you might be interested in an amp I had custom built. Primarily, I wanted an amp that I could roll a multitude of different tubes, but it was also designed with harder to drive planars (such as the LCD-4) in mind. The guy also builds smaller amps.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1101-audio-custom-crafted-headphone-amps.919425/

IMG_4074-705x984 - Copy (2).jpg

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #7,894 of 11,957
the i4 is a mini LCD-4...not as good but as good as one can possibly expect in an IEM, basically an open IEM

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #7,895 of 11,957
I agree with jlbrach, I had the LCDi4 and really liked them. I had and still do have an LCD4. The full sized 4 has more slam and slightly larger sound stage. I personally wouldn't replace the 4 with the i4. Unless weight is an issue. Keep both and you can have that wonderful LCD4 sound wherever you go.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #7,896 of 11,957
I was tempted to pick up a pair on the sale as well. Even though I sold mine about 6 months ago. I just don't have a use case for them currently. But they are a marvelous headphone/iem.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #7,897 of 11,957
Joining up. A wonderful headphone. My only real complaint is that the LCD4 can be a little too laid-back/polite dynamically for my tastes. I'm guessing it would benefit from even more power than I'm giving it (WA22). Love its detailed midrange, low distortion, smooth top end, and 'dark transparency' character. Just wish it was a little more punchy. On that regard, I sometimes prefer my LCD2 Classic for a more vigorous listen.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #7,898 of 11,957
Joining up. A wonderful headphone. My only real complaint is that the LCD4 can be a little too laid-back/polite dynamically for my tastes. I'm guessing it would benefit from even more power than I'm giving it (WA22). Love its detailed midrange, low distortion, smooth top end, and 'dark transparency' character. Just wish it was a little more punchy. On that regard, I sometimes prefer my LCD2 Classic for a more vigorous listen.
What dac are you using? A more dynamic and punchy sounding dac could help. Or, if you’re like me and not allergic to hardware EQ, use a Schiit Loki to dial in some fun. LCD-4 has such vanishingly low distortion that you can’t even tell the EQ is on. I use it in my system and it’s fantastic. Super transparent too with my chain or I would’ve gotten rid of it. Highly recommended.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #7,899 of 11,957
It should be your amp. I have the LCD2rev2, LCD2 classic and I tried several days the LCD4. I have a Audio-gd HE-9 which is relatively potent.
I can tell you the LCD4 is vastly more punchy and dynamic than the LCD2 classic (and the rev2). And I confirm that the LCD4 is more power hungry than the other 2, the classic being the more sensible. Also the LCD4 has a high impedance (200 ohms) which makes it particularly difficult to drive.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #7,900 of 11,957
It should be your amp. I have the LCD2rev2, LCD2 classic and I tried several days the LCD4. I have a Audio-gd HE-9 which is relatively potent.
I can tell you the LCD4 is vastly more punchy and dynamic than the LCD2 classic (and the rev2). And I confirm that the LCD4 is more power hungry than the other 2, the classic being the more sensible. Also the LCD4 has a high impedance (200 ohms) which makes it particularly difficult to drive.

Good points. I might experiment with amps.

What dac are you using? A more dynamic and punchy sounding dac could help. Or, if you’re like me and not allergic to hardware EQ, use a Schiit Loki to dial in some fun. LCD-4 has such vanishingly low distortion that you can’t even tell the EQ is on. I use it in my system and it’s fantastic. Super transparent too with my chain or I would’ve gotten rid of it. Highly recommended.

I primarily use an Arcam CD37 CD/SACD player. Regarding the Loki: I have one too, and I love it!

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #7,902 of 11,957
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #7,903 of 11,957
I have used mine with a Cavalli Lau and Woo WA5. The WA5 is being replaced by a in production WA33 EE.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #7,905 of 11,957
I find the LCD-4 to be remarkably transparent to the source. With the Terminator and the Headtrip, I rarely use a silver cable since it's almost too dynamic at times at anything but the lowest volumes. The stock cable is actually ideal in my system with plenty of punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back