Audeze LCD-4
Dec 5, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #7,906 of 11,995
the stock cable is actually quite good and pairs well.....I had good luck with the violectric 281 and my present formula s/powerman....as hard as they are to drive the dave does a pretty good job on its own as well

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #7,907 of 11,995
I'm sure the LCD4 scales up, but they actually do still sound pretty good on my WA22 (currently using 7236 tubes-- Sylvania?). I do need to turn it up a bit though. But then these cans wake up and become more dynamic. I guess I've been used to more efficient headphones at lower volumes, and usually less neutral/linear-- I'm used to a midbass/lower midrange bump. A touch of equalization can fit the bill.

Any notable sonic differences between a 7236 and 5998 tube?

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #7,908 of 11,995
I'm sure the LCD4 scales up, but they actually do still sound pretty good on my WA22 (currently using 7236 tubes-- Sylvania?) do need to turn it up a bit though. But then these cans wake up and become more dynamic.

It sounds great with the WA-6 SE using the High impedance output. I never turn it above 11:30, but that will depend on the amount of gain you are getting from your source. I've also used it with my WA 5 LE which is an improvement, but not a huge one.

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #7,909 of 11,995
Just put in some Tung Sol 5998's into my WA22. Ah, yes. I don't want to overstate it, but the LCD4 sounds even better now-- more alive. I used to think this can was a little too polite. Hmm, not so much now. I still need to do more listening though. Also what stands out with the swap of tubes is the soundstage-- more '3D' like. More transparent. Really nice. Thoroughly enjoying this combo...

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #7,910 of 11,995
Just put in some Tung Sol 5998's into my WA22. Ah, yes. I don't want to overstate it, but the LCD4 sounds even better now-- more alive. I used to think this can was a little too polite. Hmm, not so much now. I still need to do more listening though. Also what stands out with the swap of tubes is the soundstage-- more '3D' like. More transparent. Really nice. Thoroughly enjoying this combo...
And to take things to "the max" with the WA22 you can also consider using an ECC33 or ECC35 as driver. The only downside is this might start to generate a little noise with the 5998, but it's a winning combo if you have quiet tubes.

The LCD4 is one of the hardest headphones out there to drive. But, with a beefy amp it truly is an exceptional headphone. I still have a WA22, and I like it a lot, but I prefer the LCD4 with my two custom headphone amps.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #7,911 of 11,995
I just cant understand. I tried just for fun my lcd 4 200ohm out from ipad pro. Running roon. I a-b them with my desktop setup, 430ha and qutest. There was just marginal difference. How is this possible? I was to he honest a bit Sad that the difference wasnt bigger. Sure my desktop setup sound a tad larger and more airy/controlled. But its like a 20% improvement over the ipad pro alone.

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #7,912 of 11,995
I just cant understand. I tried just for fun my lcd 4 200ohm out from ipad pro. Running roon. I a-b them with my desktop setup, 430ha and qutest. There was just marginal difference. How is this possible? I was to he honest a bit Sad that the difference wasnt bigger. Sure my desktop setup sound a tad larger and more airy/controlled. But its like a 20% improvement over the ipad pro alone.

Many variables but I've experienced the same thing with my Hugo 2. Big quality improvements came with using the Corning optical USB cable, moving to HQPlayer from Roon/JRiver, and investing in a lot of power upgrades like a linear power supply, power conditioners, voltage regulators, but still, after all that upgrades, the mid-range distortion on the Hugo 2 (and likely the Qutest) became more apparent. After trying different DACs like Matrix Audio, SMSL M500, the clarity in the mids made the distortion on the mids of the Hugo 2 more apparent. And it's also consistent with the measurements on ASR.

I've upgraded my cables to monocrystal silver and it made the stock LCD 4 sound like a grainy cassette tape by comparison.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #7,913 of 11,995
Many variables but I've experienced the same thing with my Hugo 2. Big quality improvements came with using the Corning optical USB cable, moving to HQPlayer from Roon/JRiver, and investing in a lot of power upgrades like a linear power supply, power conditioners, voltage regulators, but still, after all that upgrades, the mid-range distortion on the Hugo 2 (and likely the Qutest) became more apparent. After trying different DACs like Matrix Audio, SMSL M500, the clarity in the mids made the distortion on the mids of the Hugo 2 more apparent. And it's also consistent with the measurements on ASR.

I've upgraded my cables to monocrystal silver and it made the stock LCD 4 sound like a grainy cassette tape by comparison.

I currently use an heimdall usb cable from imac/roon to qutest. And INAKUSTIK EXZELLENZ RCA from qutest to 430had

Im just schocked over how well the ipad pro runs the lcd 4 alone.

Im using the braided Stock cable that came with the lcd4. Using the 4pin xlr on the 430 and 3,5mm on ipad.

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #7,914 of 11,995
I currently use an heimdall usb cable from imac/roon to qutest. And INAKUSTIK EXZELLENZ RCA from qutest to 430had

Im using the braided Stock cable that came with the lcd4. Using the 4pin xlr on the 430 and 3,5mm on ipad.
Whats the music you listening to ?

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #7,915 of 11,995
Whats the music you listening to ?

I listen to most Kind of music, alot acoustic music like damien rice, alison crauss, adele, ben Howard to dr dre, Eminem, dire straits etc

Dec 15, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #7,916 of 11,995

I had the same experience with the iPad pro as endpoint vs the Hugo 2 over Roon. Personally, Roon was the bottleneck and when I switched to HQPlayer, I had more resolution and speed that the iPad Pro is left in the dust.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #7,918 of 11,995
I tested now with tidal app. The difference is bigger, tidal app doesnt give as high volume as roon app does.

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #7,919 of 11,995
Anyone want to share eq settings ? In roon its 2000k and 6000k. If i want to adjust 4000 k do i only add one band of 4000k?

Never used eq before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back