Audeze LCD-4
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #11,986 of 11,994
The long slippery slope which began (with headphones) in 2009 (thanks Jude) has finally hit the ground with a very expensive (yet worthwhile) thud!!
I waited 5 years for a mint, Trilogy Audio Systems 933 amplifier, and now, finally, I have managed to aquire a mint pair of Audeze LCD-4’s 🥰
My LCD-3’s have gone to a very happy new owner.
Proud to finally be able to post in Head-Fi’s ‘Summit-Fi’ forum 🤘
Treasure it! Hall of Fame headphone!

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #11,987 of 11,994
Just joined the lcd 4 club after 6 years of owning every iteration on the beloved lcdx. The lcd4 acquired through a trade came in pristine condition except the pads look a little compressed despite being less than 2 years old. Also the newer Audeze pads are thinner so ears are touching the fazor bars and it's actually a little uncomfortable so I was thinking about swapping them out for fresh ones. Besides the stock (newer) thinner Audeze stock pads, any other suggestions? (Dekoni, zmf pads)

But the headphone is sublime. I've never heard bass like this before and it thumps hard. Really happy with my trade.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #11,988 of 11,994
Dekoni Elite Hybrids. Had them on until I sold them. Much more comfortable than Audeze pads.

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #11,989 of 11,994
Dekoni Elite Hybrids. Had them on until I sold them. Much more comfortable than Audeze pads.
Do these change the sound any? I really like the stock Audeze lcd 4 warmth and low end punch.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #11,990 of 11,994
Not for me. If it did I did not notice as I was so happy with the increased comfort.

Apr 27, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #11,991 of 11,994
While i m still deciding between Audeze vs Dekoni pads, I chose to slap on a pair of old dekoni elite fenestrated lambskin pads that i was able to salvage from my LCD-X before I traded it. Surprisingly, it was a huge step up. Comfort is through the roof, no more fazor marks on my right ear. Secondly, the mids and lowe treble are more alive and prominent, however theres no change in low end thump/slam. Bass is still just as punchy with the dekoni fenestrated pads. The only con that i can see if that the dekonis kinda take away the signature lcd4/house audeze warmth and makes the headphones more neutral and mid forward, however it tries to keep the house audeze sound as intact as possible. This will defnitely keep me going until i finally decide between the Audeze 2021 leather pads or Dekoni Elite lambskin (non perforated)

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #11,992 of 11,994
While i m still deciding between Audeze vs Dekoni pads, I chose to slap on a pair of old dekoni elite fenestrated lambskin pads that i was able to salvage from my LCD-X before I traded it. Surprisingly, it was a huge step up. Comfort is through the roof, no more fazor marks on my right ear. Secondly, the mids and lowe treble are more alive and prominent, however theres no change in low end thump/slam. Bass is still just as punchy with the dekoni fenestrated pads. The only con that i can see if that the dekonis kinda take away the signature lcd4/house audeze warmth and makes the headphones more neutral and mid forward, however it tries to keep the house audeze sound as intact as possible. This will defnitely keep me going until i finally decide between the Audeze 2021 leather pads or Dekoni Elite lambskin (non perforated)
Are those your personal rankings in your signature?

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #11,993 of 11,994
Are those your personal rankings in your signature?
Kinda. Sorta. But not really. My genuinely absolute fav on the list is my Diana TC. I think caldera, depending on the amp) takes a close second mostly because of the unmatched bass of the TC. But Other than that, the rest are just my overall liking of each, not necessarily based on sound alone but rather the entire set as a whole from aesthetics to tuning.

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #11,994 of 11,994
The long slippery slope which began (with headphones) in 2009 (thanks Jude) has finally hit the ground with a very expensive (yet worthwhile) thud!!
I waited 5 years for a mint, Trilogy Audio Systems 933 amplifier, and now, finally, I have managed to aquire a mint pair of Audeze LCD-4’s 🥰
My LCD-3’s have gone to a very happy new owner.
Proud to finally be able to post in Head-Fi’s ‘Summit-Fi’ forum 🤘
Congratulations on acquiring the LCD 4, I hope to read your impressions soon.

On another note I had a chance to audition the new Focal Utopia 2022 against the LCD 4 at home for a few days. Whilst the Utopia has better technical performance such as detail and imaging, the LCD 4 had a more airy and spaced out soundstage that extends to a nice size especially when using a tube amplifier. The Utopia had a very 3 dimensional soundstage with excellent depth but the soundstage size was just holding it back for me. The vocals on the LCD 4 had a some what floating effect in mid air because of the wider soundstage plus they were richer, fuller and sweeter. The Utopia is a very punchy headphone and the bass was really good but the LCD 4 still slams harder in the mid bass and the Utopia had a more forward sub bass. The treble never got harsh for me with the Utopia but the lack of air gives other headphones like the HEKSE a much more treble head experience. If only the Utopia had some more soundstage width and more air it MIGHT replace my LCD 4 however, the LCD 4 has those incredible vocals, airy and open soundstage and hard hitting "see through bass" that is probably one of the very best in headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back