Audeze LCD-4
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #11,956 of 11,989
I returned back headphones.Seller (audio store from Italy) taked it for inspection.Withhold the funds refund.Horrible service.I escalated this case via paypal.Hope paypal will be on my side.
Don‘t worry.
Never had problems with PayPal refunds from fraudulent sellers.

That’s the main reason I use PayPal.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #11,957 of 11,989
I returned back headphones.Seller (audio store from Italy) taked it for inspection.Withhold the funds refund.Horrible service.I escalated this case via paypal.Hope paypal will be on my side.
I'm not sure I understand the situation correctly. Did you return the headphones, which the store has already inspected and then refused to refund the payment, or did the store simply ask to have the headphones returned for inspection before they will issue a refund? If the latter, then it's certainly acceptable for them to want to inspect the headphones before issuing a refund, and I don't see any reason to be upset. In my many years of purchasing on-line using PayPal, I've only had to ask for their assistance getting a refund, one time, and that was quickly and easily resolved.

One more thought, having done a LOT of on-line purchasing over the years. Stuff happens, it's not unusual to have something arrive DOA. It's just part of purchasing on-line, but that's exactly why it's so important to deal with reputable vendors and always make sure you understand their warranty/return/refund policies BEFORE you purchase, and also why it's important to use PayPay Good and Services (not Friends and Family).

In any case, good luck with the return, and don't let this experience sour you on the LCD-4 headphones, they're worth the effort to find a good pair.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #11,958 of 11,989
Has anyone tried the Naim Atom HE with the LCD 4? Thinking about acquiring one.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #11,960 of 11,989
Has anyone compared the LCD 4 to the Abyss Diana MR? Any opinions on this comparison? Thanks
Own(ed) both.

Using oracle1992 EQ for LCD-4. MR without EQ.

MR brighter in the treble, which is why it went. I found it fatiguing after an hour or so in even passive listening. I seem to be in minority in finding it fatiguing. I also generally prefer U or V shape headphones, and had no issue with Diana TC and V2. Two of my favourite headphones.

LCD-4 is 'heavier'. In every musical sense. Music sounds MUCH denser, darker-toned and richer. MR takes it comfortably on resolution, but overall detail retrieval I'd give to LCD-4. LCD-4 also a much more involving experience. Particularly with rock (from Radiohead to Smashing Pumpkins, and Isis to Converge etc).

Dare I say it, I found MR a little tinny. Bass was just ok.

I find it by some distance the most unremarkable and boring Abyss headphone they've made, and I totally get why it appears to be a success. That's no shade on those who like it, btw. It's just not for me. I could have very comfortably lived with it, but at the price that's not good enough reason to keep it.

MR is still a VERY good headphone by any measure. Not for my preferences though, and owning (at the time) three other superior Abyss headphones. I found even the V2 vastly superior and less fatiguing and received easily three times more head time than MR.

I wouldn't really think of comparing MR and LCD-4 personally. Atrium is closest to it, imo. But I've got a Caldera coming to me in a week that might possibly shunt the LCD-4 out. I'll see. :)

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #11,961 of 11,989
Own(ed) both.

Using oracle1992 EQ for LCD-4. MR without EQ.

MR brighter in the treble, which is why it went. I found it fatiguing after an hour or so in even passive listening. I seem to be in minority in finding it fatiguing. I also generally prefer U or V shape headphones, and had no issue with Diana TC and V2. Two of my favourite headphones.

LCD-4 is 'heavier'. In every musical sense. Music sounds MUCH denser, darker-toned and richer. MR takes it comfortably on resolution, but overall detail retrieval I'd give to LCD-4. LCD-4 also a much more involving experience. Particularly with rock (from Radiohead to Smashing Pumpkins, and Isis to Converge etc).

Dare I say it, I found MR a little tinny. Bass was just ok.

I find it by some distance the most unremarkable and boring Abyss headphone they've made, and I totally get why it appears to be a success. That's no shade on those who like it, btw. It's just not for me. I could have very comfortably lived with it, but at the price that's not good enough reason to keep it.

MR is still a VERY good headphone by any measure. Not for my preferences though, and owning (at the time) three other superior Abyss headphones. I found even the V2 vastly superior and less fatiguing and received easily three times more head time than MR.

I wouldn't really think of comparing MR and LCD-4 personally. Atrium is closest to it, imo. But I've got a Caldera coming to me in a week that might possibly shunt the LCD-4 out. I'll see. :)
LCD-4 vs Caldera would be quite interesting...

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #11,962 of 11,989
caldera is better imho

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #11,963 of 11,989
MR takes it comfortably on resolution, but overall detail retrieval I'd give to LCD-4.
How would you describe the difference between resolution and detail retrieval? I had thought of them as synonymous.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #11,964 of 11,989
Apr 8, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #11,965 of 11,989
How would you describe the difference between resolution and detail retrieval? I had thought of them as synonymous.
There's overlap certainly, and open to interpretation. For me, I like it to a Blu-ray transfer that can be very brightly lit but the resolution of the transfer itself is blurry.

So in sound for me, you can hear lots of details, but the resolution is how fully they're conveyed.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #11,967 of 11,989
That would surprise me. Looking forward to the comparison.
Hi, I see that you use high powered amps. Do you use the pass labs for the LCD 4? Do they respond well? I assume they do since more current tends to make planars sound better. I use a Master 9 which seems to be powerful enough but Im not sure im driving the LCD 4 to its full potential with that amp.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #11,968 of 11,989
Hi, I see that you use high powered amps. Do you use the pass labs for the LCD 4? Do they respond well? I assume they do since more current tends to make planars sound better. I use a Master 9 which seems to be powerful enough but Im not sure im driving the LCD 4 to its full potential with that amp.
Hi! No, too big of a chicken$hit to run the LCD-4 off of the speaker taps. Run the LCD-4 exclusively from the Wells Audio Milo. Run Tannoy Kensingtons or a Raal SR1a via the Pass Labs. The Milo is an amazing amp, worth a listen if you have the opportunity.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #11,969 of 11,989
I am running the Cayin HA-3A which doesn't have a ton of power but pushes out a ton of voltage which is what the LCD 4 likes and it runs great! It will even run the Tungsten which is one of the most difficult headphones to drive because it takes advantage of the voltage output of the HA-3A. Obviously other headphones like the Susvara and Abyss AB1266 will need more power as they are more dependant on power output rather than voltage.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #11,970 of 11,989
Anyone else listen to the lcd-4 stock, no eq applied? I know most people eq it, and say it is tonally completely wrong, but that just hasn't been my experience at all.

Context: After struggling to tune the zmf atrium's vocals this week (sharp and unbalanced, vocals sound simply wrong sometimes), I put on my lcd-4. I'm aware that the lcd-4 is supposed to have a worse tuning than the atrium, so I tried scouring song after song, trying to find one that would have unbalanced vocals, and I just couldn't find one. The lcd-4 gave me the most emotional, detailed, and nuanced vocals I've ever heard, no matter the song. At worst, I would say the vocals are a little quiet compared to the instruments around it, but out of balance? Absolutely not. I have no idea how this headphone does it, but I'm loving every second of it.

Going back to eq, I find that oratory's, while still good, does boost the upper parts of the fr unnecessarily much. I prefer metal571's small refinements, which again reflects how much I enjoy the stock fr. And I haven't even talked about the clarity, the bass, the rich timbre of the lcd-4...such a fantastic headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back