Audeze LCD-4
Oct 19, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #991 of 11,994

Just saying it's a step backwards for the company, not that it's a bad headphone, though the reviews haven't exactly been glowing either. I personally thought it was about on par with my PM-3 when I heard it, for nearly twice the price.

I prefer my PM-3 to the EL8 open in all seriousness. The band of missing treble information in the EL8 is a real problem with cymbals in particular, the bass was a little uncontrolled when I heard it also. For the same money I think the FAD Hope VI is a much, much better performing headphone (and as pointed out there are a number of better performing headphones up to that price point). 

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #993 of 11,994
  No I haven't, but could you explain what they are and look like. 

I haven't actually used them myself, but you may want to give Audeze a buzz or send them an email...I've seen a few others mention that they were very easy to install and solved the issue of the "Fazor Ear" lol. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #994 of 11,994
So you've heard the 4? What other headphones can you compare it to? What were some of your impressions? 

I couldn't disagree more about the "steps" comment. The LCD-X is the best sounding headphone I've heard to date, and with the new headband I have been using it almost exclusively. It's a very clear step up from the 2s, which I also liked. The jury is out for me as to whether the 4 continues to improve on that, but I dont see where Audeze has taken any steps back at this point. 
I believe he's talking about the weight, focker.

And I agree the x is my top 3 headphone and the headband is making me consider buying it again.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #995 of 11,994

And I agree the x is my top 3 headphone and the headband is making me consider buying it again.

Ah, okay, I see...well with regard to the weight, I would bet that the vast majority of people who own an LCD model with the original headband will actually find the LCD-4 feels lighter - even though it weighs more on paper - because of the new headband. It really does make a difference.  For anyone who loves the Audeze sound but is deterred by the weight/comfort, it's a game changer. If you do ever try the X again, I would be surprised if you didn't feel the new strap was a nice upgrade. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #996 of 11,994
  I agree that they really need to up their game on comfort. For it's actually not the weight, but the fazors that make contact with my ears and cause pain after just a short while. 

+ 10000  ( I sold my LCD-X due to Confort (lack) issue ! )

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #997 of 11,994

So you've heard the 4? What other headphones can you compare it to? What were some of your impressions? 

I couldn't disagree more about the "steps" comment. The LCD-X is the best sounding headphone I've heard to date, and with the new headband I have been using it almost exclusively. It's a very clear step up from the 2s, which I also liked. The jury is out for me as to whether the 4 continues to improve on that, but I dont see where Audeze has taken any steps back at this point. 

Yes I was referring to the weight issue.

They weigh more apparently.

No need to get your shorts all in a knot lol.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #998 of 11,994
I think the game changer for what people buy and how pricing goes is the HE1000X if it hits the button on sound per price, things may change.

Not a bang for buck question but a change for the TOTL Prices. Then there is the LCD4 X....If it is in the pipeline...

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #999 of 11,994
Are there instructions on how to install the new comfy headband? I've never had a problem with the normal weight but if it's more comfy of course I'd prefer that.

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,001 of 11,994
  We sure make mistakes. We try to correct them and sometimes over-correct as well.  If we are a bit more transparent and hopefully post more on headfi, we can clear some of the misconceptions. 

Your recent and frequent comments are much appreciated !  I hope it will be like that from now on :)

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,002 of 11,994
Apologies for being direct here. I am a fan of Audeze.

However, can't help but wondering how much of the $250k worth of headphones loss due to the robbery at beginning of the year, has affected the LCD 4 pricing.

Probably some of the money was recovered from insurance, but not the margin on those robbed headphones.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,004 of 11,994
Look the LCD2F is my main set of headphones. Personally the weight doesn't bother me much at all. I don't think the LCD4s would bother me too much either. HOWEVER, what you're describing is for stationary loudspeakers, not being supported by your neck. Speaker weight complicates transportation, but it doesn't matter once it's in place. The weight of headphones have much greater impact on the listening experience than the weight of speakers

I don’t argue that it’s a big difference between the weight loudspeakers will make and the weight a headphone that you have on your head will make while listening to them. That’s is kind of true for all headphones but to different degrees. I was only trying to make an IMO probable explanation to why Audeze have chosen to priority big and powerful magnets instead of lower weight. To exemplify this I used an example that was not exactly the same, I know, but dealt with the same question about design and design goals.

My last reply on this topic; wouldn’t it be strange for Audeze to use those big and powerful magnets, which probably isn’t cheap, if they didn’t thought there was some real advantage to use them? 

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,005 of 11,994

I prefer my PM-3 to the EL8 open in all seriousness. The band of missing treble information in the EL8 is a real problem with cymbals in particular, the bass was a little uncontrolled when I heard it also. For the same money I think the FAD Hope VI is a much, much better performing headphone (and as pointed out there are a number of better performing headphones up to that price point). 

mmmm.....I also have the FAD Hope VI. I like it also. But, in terms of comfort, the EL8 Open beats it by a country mile. Ergo: for longer-term listening the EL8 is my can of choice over the PH VI for mobile listening. Can't comment on the Senn mid-fi cans since I don't have any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back