Audeze LCD-4
Oct 18, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #976 of 12,021
  The A-T W3000ANV appreciated nicely (> 30%) if you bought them new. I suspect a BHSE amp will do the same when production stops. And if Stax ever goes away (perish the thought)... 
[Or if Spritzer stops crafting KGSS-family amps...] There are no readily available substitutes for these things.
[Edit: not to mention the R10, but that's too obvious.]

It depends on the popularity as much as the performance though imo. For instance Apex (Pete Millet) amps are as rare as you will get. Just an estimated 50 wheatfields and only 40 peak/volcano's.  Still took me a while to sell my wheatfield ha-2 and I have had my peak/volcano for sale for a long time now and no takers. Half price
frown.gif

R10's, KGSS, BHSE, Mjolnir, W3000anv., Orpheus etc. have rarity as well as popularity going for them. Trust me when I tell you Apex amps are every bit as good as performers as the pieces of kit you mentioned. Just not popular for whatever reason. Flooded marketplace imo.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #977 of 12,021
Thiel's were ok I went thru the factory 20+ years ago only about 80 miles from here...were not impressed with the overall sound. I have some original Dunlavy 6s more like the music I play. Dunlavy is no longer in business, I guess Thiel is.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #978 of 12,021
So I went to stereo exchange to try the lcd4. I think it is much too heavy and dark sounding to justify the 4k price tag. I tested it side to side with the he560, he1000, hd800. Also in the headphone lounge was another head-fier who owns the lcd3 and my friend who is a professional pianist. I am a profession cellist. We swapped around back and forth using a chord Hugo TT and a McIntosh MHA 100. The other gentleman said while it was an improvement over lcd3, the improvement was not enough to justify the price. He and i both agreed the he1000 driven out of the mcintosh was superior in everyway. I can say compared to all the other headphones, the soundstage was much smaller, and the headband was too tight along with it putting strain on my neck even from short listening periods. For pop music, edm the impactful bass is nice but for classical and jazz (which was the majority of the listening), it sounded too unnatural, dark and the soundstage was smaller than the rest of the headphones. It is in the top class of headphones for sure but for the price tag of 4k, everything should be perfect. Hope that gives an impression of the lcd4

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #979 of 12,021
After all the comments, all the posts, all the emails.. and after all the complaints, why on earth did Audeze make their new flagship heavier than the rest of their entire lineup?

I'm sorry to lower the tone and (
deadhorse.gif
)     but I think it's crazy

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #980 of 12,021
  After all the comments, all the posts, all the emails.. and after all the complaints, why on earth did Audeze make their new flagship heavier than the rest of their entire lineup?

In full agreement with you on this. 

Almost as if its a case of 2 steps forward 3 steps back.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #981 of 12,021
Well LCD-5 will be 8000 dollars, be even heavier because it's a complete motorcycle helmet with a thin film that surrounds the entire head sending the signals directly into your skull. 
floatsmile.png

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #982 of 12,021
Well LCD-5 will be 8000 dollars, be even heavier because it's a complete motorcycle helmet with a thin film that surrounds the entire head sending the signals directly into your skull. :floatsmile:
So....the jecklin float?

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #983 of 12,021
I am a fan of Audeze but i too would like to see their cans be lighter and easier to wear...when i put on my HEK"s or HD800 or Ethers it is simply a much more comfortable experience

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #984 of 12,021
  I am a fan of Audeze but i too would like to see their cans be lighter and easier to wear...when i put on my HEK"s or HD800 or Ethers it is simply a much more comfortable experience

I agree that they really need to up their game on comfort. For it's actually not the weight, but the fazors that make contact with my ears and cause pain after just a short while. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #985 of 12,021

In full agreement with you on this. 

Almost as if its a case of 2 steps forward 3 steps back.

So you've heard the 4? What other headphones can you compare it to? What were some of your impressions? 

I couldn't disagree more about the "steps" comment. The LCD-X is the best sounding headphone I've heard to date, and with the new headband I have been using it almost exclusively. It's a very clear step up from the 2s, which I also liked. The jury is out for me as to whether the 4 continues to improve on that, but I dont see where Audeze has taken any steps back at this point. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #986 of 12,021
  I agree that they really need to up their game on comfort. For it's actually not the weight, but the fazors that make contact with my ears and cause pain after just a short while. 

Have you asked Audeze for the little spacers that go under the pads that others have mentioned in this thread? 

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #987 of 12,021
I dont see where Audeze has taken any steps back at this point. 

1.) The EL-8.
2.) The LCD-4's weight.
3.) The LCD-4's price.

There ya go
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #988 of 12,021
mmm.....I disagree. The EL8 (open) is a fine  headphone in its class/price range. I rather enjoy it with the Norne Solv X cable. Of course, it is a step-down from the LCD series, but it is also at a fraction of the LCDs' prices. Mid-fi performance at a mid-fi price.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #989 of 12,021
  mmm.....I disagree. The EL8 (open) is a fine  headphone in its class/price range. I rather enjoy it with the Norne Solv X cable. Of course, it is a step-down from the LCD series, but it is also at a fraction of the LCDs' prices. Mid-fi performance at a mid-fi price.

Just saying it's a step backwards for the company, not that it's a bad headphone, though the reviews haven't exactly been glowing either. I personally thought it was about on par with my PM-3 when I heard it, for nearly twice the price.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #990 of 12,021

Mid-fi is the 300-600 price range. And if we are talking mid-fi, we can't forget about HD600/HD650, both of which perform far better than the EL-8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back