Audeze LCD-4
Oct 17, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #947 of 12,047
  Run the HD650 an very good amp and maybe you will change opinion. 

The HD650 scales really well with high end gear, particularly a fully balanced chain start to end. No doubt. I used to be my daily headphone for years, and I've kept two pairs when I sold other older phones along the way. But I would never argue that it is 97% of the HD800 or LCD3, etc.

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #948 of 12,047
I wish there was a four way LCD4 - HE1000 - Ether - Dharma shootout 
frown.gif

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #949 of 12,047
Sound impressions. For the love of God give us sound impressions!!!!!!!

I tested it with connected to a burson conductor (and also tested it to my HUGO), but... it was way too noisy around (show conditions ) to evaluate properly the SQ of an open headphone like the LCDs. I am sorry.

So I can only tell about volume level and confort issue  

(the Dharma was in a much quitter part of the trade show).

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #950 of 12,047

So I hesitated between the LCD4 and the HE1000. I have the LCD3F and the first one I got was the LCDXC when it was released. I understand that the LCDXC has more punch go deeper in the bass but I do not like its sound signature as its mediums/high are too forward to my taste compared to the LCD3F. Now I think the LCD3F is a bit light in deep bass but overall it is a sound balance I like and generate much less fatigue for me particularly for piano and feminine voices. I am going to try the HE1000 as I feel the weight difference between the LCD3F and the LCDXC and there is no way I will go heavier than that. Also the HE1000 seems from what I read to have a sound signature close to what I like and will fill the gap in deep bass. I think also that I have been lucky with Audeze as I did not had quality issues, but what I can read in this forum about Audeze build quality is scary to say the least.
One last word is that my ears are bearely touching the fazors and that is becoming quite uncomfortable as the foam compress over time. I tolerate it with the LCD3F, but I think I may sell the LCDXC as this sound signature is not for me as it is (can always equalize it, but I do not like to do that).

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #951 of 12,047
  One last word is that my ears are bearely touching the fazors and that is becoming quite uncomfortable as the foam compress over time. I tolerate it with the LCD3F, but I think I may sell the LCDXC as this sound signature is not for me as it is (can always equalize it, but I do not like to do that).

Email Audeze support for the foam inserts that you can slip underneath the pads to give your ears more space, they work great.

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #952 of 12,047

Email Audeze support for the foam inserts that you can slip underneath the pads to give your ears more space, they work great.

How do you slip the inserts underneath the pad? I sure hope they change the way the ear pads are attached to the headphone. Those adhesive rings and screws that connect yoke to the headband were a nightmare to deal with.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #953 of 12,047

Thanks! will do

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #955 of 12,047
If we assume for a moment that the difference in weight between the LCD line and most new planer headphones is mostly due to bigger and more powerful magnets. Is it in light of that assumption still wrong for them to choose those bigger and heavier magnates instead of focus on bringing down the weight? 

(The LCD line use big magnates on both sides while for example HEK have big on one side and much smaller on the other side and the Abyss has magnets only on one side.)
its like video game designers opting to keep proving framerate instead of getting a stable, high fps

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #956 of 12,047

How do you slip the inserts underneath the pad? I sure hope they change the way the ear pads are attached to the headphone. Those adhesive rings and screws that connect yoke to the headband were a nightmare to deal with.

No need to mess with those rings or anything like that, just slips under the pad cushion, push it in with your fingers, very easy.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-impressions-thread/3855#post_11700880

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #957 of 12,047
Just came back from "The Source A/V" in Torrance, CA.  Had a chance to try out the LCD-3 and LCD-4 with same source/amp.  LCD-4 is definitely a much more improved LCD-3; thick bass, more forward treble, less dark of a mid.  There is just a hint of that Audeze house sound leans toward warmth (some would think it's dark).  Definitely better separations than the LCD-3.  A pluck of a bass string doesn't get muddle into the singing voice.  A Stax SR-009 was also there, so I think the LCD-4 is getting close to the Stax neutral mid; but the bass is not as fast.  Overall, I think it's a 15-20% improvement over the LCD-3; it's definitely noticeable.  I have the LCD-3F, given the LCD-4's price, I'm happy with my LCD-3F for a while.

On the weight issue, I never had problem with Audeze 'phones' weight.  LCD-4's weight didn't bother me a bit.  

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #958 of 12,047
Just came back from "The Source A/V" in Torrance, CA.  Had a chance to try out the LCD-3 and LCD-4 with same source/amp.  LCD-4 is definitely a much more improved LCD-3; thick bass, more forward treble, less dark of a mid.  There is just a hint of that Audeze house sound leans toward warmth (some would think it's dark).  Definitely better separations than the LCD-3.  A pluck of a bass string doesn't get muddle into the singing voice.  A Stax SR-009 was also there, so I think the LCD-4 is getting close to the Stax neutral mid; but the bass is not as fast.  Overall, I think it's a 15-20% improvement over the LCD-3; it's definitely noticeable.  I have the LCD-3F, given the LCD-4's price, I'm happy with my LCD-3F for a while.

On the weight issue, I never had problem with Audeze 'phones' weight.  LCD-4's weight didn't bother me a bit.  

Have you heard of the LCD-X? If so, how does the 4 compare to it?

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #959 of 12,047
  Money4me's comment " noticeable improvement in technical performance against the LCD-X or LCD-3 " reminds me of the Hifiman HE500 vs. HE560.
Somehow, the "technical" improvements in the HE560 still left me feeling the older HE500 was still more enjoyable, musical, and not really lacking in detail or staging. So since I'm very happy with the LCD3F, I'll think I'll stick with it. (Faint praise is always something that's important to infer from reading between the lines.) Thanks for that Money4me. Useful observations there.(I have not heard the LCD4, just to be clear).

@rgs9200m, I think your perspective is quite insightful.

I do personally prefer the HE-560 & do think it offers a technical improvement over the he500, but can see others prefering the he-500 due to its lushness.

I think that is a good analogy to the LCD-4 and LCD-3. The LCD-4 is more neutral (to my ears) and more technically proficient than the LCD-3/LCD-X but at the same time the least 'Audeze-sounding' sounding Audeze which may not be what some Audeze fans are looking for. I would advise demoing or taking advantage of their 30 day return policy to see if the headphones are the right fit for you. For those already satisfied with the tuning of the LCD-X/LCD-3, may be a bit of a different direction. For those who want a bit more technical performance and more linear overall tuning, may be something to consider.

this is a good perspective. I would agree with your analysis of the LCD-4 against the LCD-3 though I would give it a different percentage improvement. I spent more time using the LCD-X as a comparison point as I used to own that and I would say that to me, the LCD-4 improves the upper mids and as a tad bit less overall darkness compared to the LCD-X. Does seem more neutral that the LCD-3 and LCD-X in terms of overall coloration to my ears. Closer in sound to the LCD-X than the LCD-3. Still a subtle bit of darkness compared to other flagships and some nice thickness/weight to its bass for a hint of that Audeze house sound, but definitely moving towards a more traditional tuning. Still not as fast sounding as some other headphones due to that subtle thickness/richness underlying notes, but overall sounds very technically competent. Noticeable technical improvement over other Audeze headphones but I personally don't see it beating out some of the other current flagships in technical performance (in imaging, soundstage, speed etc). Does offer a good balance of technical proficiency and a very small hint of the Audeze richness for people looking specifically for that.

Hard to say whether fans of their current LCD-X and/or LCD-3 would want to spend the extra money for the LCD-4. I personally would just get the LCD-X with the new headband + another flagship at the $4k price point.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #960 of 12,047
Have you heard of the LCD-X? If so, how does the 4 compare to it?

Actually I own both LCD-3F and LCD-X.  For a personal reason maybe, I refer the LCD-3 for everyday listening.  LCD-X seems to be a little bit "grainy" to me compare to the LCD-3; also the sound is a bit less smooth/silky to the 3.  Though, LCD-X is much easier to drive than the 3.  The differences between the LCD-X to 3 are much less than from 3 to 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back