Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #1,996 of 6,385
I have been battling between buying the LCD-3 or the LCD-X for a couple of weeks now. I'd already paid upfront for the LCD-3 but put the order on hold until RMAF was over. I've been reading every single related comment and impression about the LCD-X and trying to absorb as much information as I can about both headphones, to the point where I feel my head's going to explode.
Well I've decided that with my limited experience in this area, and not being able to demo either headphone, any difference(s) between them will make little impact on me.
What I mean by that is that I think I will be blown away by the sound quality of either one of these headphones. And I think the subtle differences between the sound characteristics between the two, will probably go unnoticed to my untrained ears.
Therefore I have just emailed my dealer to go ahead with my original order for the LCD-3! There! Phew! I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Now I'm just looking forward to receiving them and starting to enjoy my music. No more worrying and no more stress.
And hopefully the following month I will join these up with a Burson Conductor.

One happy chappy
biggrin.gif

Shaka

LCD-3 is amazing. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #1,997 of 6,385
I am still loving my LCD-3/Conductor combo! Hearing things in recordings that I never have heard before! LCD-X was announced a couple of days after my LCD-3 purchase. Been reading a lot regarding the X, but I am now very comfortable with my LCD-3 :)

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #1,998 of 6,385
Thanks all. Yep, just looking forward to them now. Hopefully I'll have them by next Friday. Cannot wait.
Just need to remind myself that the arrival of a new headphone suddenly does not make a much admired and already a great headphone, suddenly become inferior.
I will just enjoy it and not worry about specs and charts and diagrams. :):):):)

Shaka

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #2,002 of 6,385
So I have a pair of LCD-3s and a Majolnir/ Gungnir combo on the way. Currently I listen to Dt-990s from a WA3 with no DAC. I'm hoping this thing knocks me out of my chair!
smily_headphones1.gif

Compared to your existing rig, I would most likely say it would. Congrats!

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,004 of 6,385
So I have a pair of LCD-3s and a Majolnir/ Gungnir combo on the way. Currently I listen to Dt-990s from a WA3 with no DAC. I'm hoping this thing knocks me out of my chair!
smily_headphones1.gif

You definitely won't regret it!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #2,008 of 6,385
Hello to all, I discovered something tonight, kind of a shock for me: forget the basshead thing, somehow narrow soundstage, if you really want to make justice to your LCD 3 source them with a decent turntable + phonostage and a good amp. I'm just having the big smile on my face (with a little help from Ardbeg 10 years Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky (I recommend strongly by the way!!!) :wink:. I just moved to my headphone listening room the turntable that was getting dusty next to my speaker system in the mainroom and this is far the best way I've heard the LCD-3 sounding. It's just so what I was expecting from 2000 eur spend on this eadphones, now it looks like I'm an happy man, just will have to expand my vinyl collection.

I made some direct comparisons with same tracks vinyls vs computer (and I think I have a not that bad source with computer see my signature): no way to compete until now, vinyl is just putting you much much more into the music, I'm very surprised and shocked. And it's going very very well with the LCD-3. No more complain on soundstage and bass that I found was too prominent in general (as many people). This is just great now. It's not that the soundstage is that much wider but it's more airy, deeper. Everything is sounding that much "direct microphone to headphone", your in the music and just stop listening to your gears. It's just more natural...

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #2,009 of 6,385
  Hello to all, I discovered something tonight, kind of a shock for me: forget the basshead thing, somehow narrow soundstage, if you really want to make justice to your LCD 3 source them with a decent turntable + phonostage and a good amp. I'm just having the big smile on my face (with a little help from Ardbeg 10 years Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky (I recommend strongly by the way!!!) :wink:. I just moved to my headphone listening room the turntable that was getting dusty next to my speaker system in the mainroom and this is far the best way I've heard the LCD-3 sounding. It's just so what I was expecting from 2000 eur spend on this eadphones, now it looks like I'm an happy man, just will have to expand my vinyl collection.

I made some direct comparisons with same tracks vinyls vs computer (and I think I have a not that bad source with computer see my signature): no way to compete until now, vinyl is just putting you much much more into the music, I'm very surprised and shocked. And it's going very very well with the LCD-3. No more complain on soundstage and bass that I found was too prominent in general (as many people). This is just great now. It's not that the soundstage is that much wider but it's more airy, deeper. Everything is sounding that much "direct microphone to headphone", your in the music and just stop listening to your gears. It's just more natural...

Vinyl sounds better, but you can get a DAC that'll do your LCD-3's just fine.  Anyway, the better your source, the better your LCD-3's will sound, as long as they get enough good power.  

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #2,010 of 6,385
Yes I'm sure my DAC is not the best, also my audio files ar not all equal but this vinyl thing is just so much natural and alive. It's a real revelation for me. Even old non audiophile vinyls sounds great. Maybe with better DAC and very good quality file/recordings you can get someting close but I feel that in emotion it will be difficult to get close to vinyl. I will be able to tell in some times as I may get used to vinyl sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back