Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #736 of 6,385
Quote:

After only 2 weeks (minus one day) owning and listening to the LCD-3, I already agree with your opinion: flat - and that means a lot more "sub-bass" (20 to 40 Hz) than almost all other headphones.

I guess my solid-state Burson Soloist contributes to the flat sound as well ...  Anyway, it's the highest compliment I can give as well, and really means the end of the journey to sonic bliss as far as I'm concerned !  And I mean it, since I've managed to be happy with the HD650 for more than 3 years without looking for something else, I guess I'll be happy with the LCD-3 for the rest of my life.  It really has all I had hoped for, and even more ...

Thanks for sharing Cool.....Yesterday was my first session with the LCD3s in a couple of weeks. In between I used my portable rig FT!334s > HP-P1 > iPod.  My home setup at the moment is MPB> Audio-gd 11.32 > LCD3. And it was WOW for the entire session. All the sonic qualities mentioned were there. FANTASTIC and I feel so lucky to have a pair.

May 2, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #737 of 6,385
I am having my first session in a weeks time right now, and I'd just had to chime in with my praise for the day. I'll agree with the above and sum it up to FANTASTIC as well. They are so awesome my brain does not seem to be able to remember just how awesome they really are, and it goes WOW every time I listen.

May 2, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #739 of 6,385
Quote:
I agree.  I listen to other very high end headphones, and say "pretty impressive", then I piut on LCD3's and say "Now that's music".  

I completely agree with you, as I say the same then I put LCD-3 on.
I will never own again a headphone or a speaker that doesn't have a midrange body! For me the mid range is the most magical and important in all our hearing range, and Audezes has all of this.
It is somewhat musical and easy on the ear and in the same time very detailed, resolving and airy with a large soundstage.
LCD-3 are making music, many other headphones are making sounds...

May 2, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #740 of 6,385
I also agree.  IMO the LCD-3s are a significant step up from the LCD-2.2.  More air, better treble extension, better Sound Stage.  However, still to this day the best amp I've heard these headphones on was the BHA-1 and the Mjolinr.  I'm waiting for the Statement amp.  Should be a perfect match.

May 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #741 of 6,385
#26135xx reporting in as of today.

In normal person terms these rock harder than the LCD-2s (wife).

In short and in my best attempted terms, I think the LCD-3s add resolution (detail), have even better transient response (think speed and articulation), air, soundstage and are more transparent. And not the least - that BASS, which is the best I've heard. All that and still bloody euphonic and thoroughly enjoyable, which I think is missing with some of the competition around these budgets. :)

This is through my Burson Conductor.

May 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #742 of 6,385
Quote:
I will never own again a headphone or a speaker that doesn't have a midrange body! For me the mid range is the most magical and important in all our hearing range, and Audezes has all of this.
It is somewhat musical and easy on the ear and in the same time very detailed, resolving and airy with a large soundstage.

Many very expensive speakers and headphones lack that body, and the thin nature of the lower mids makes the detail of the upper mids and highs jump out - and thereby give the impression of detail, transparency, and that word I hate, (because it usually signifies exaggerated brightness range and/or highs), "AIR".  

Great for showing off a system, that low body sound, as friends oohh and aahh over "detail".  Not great for reminding one of the sound of REAL music.  I prefer the latter, and I could not care less about the former (showing off a system).

May 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #743 of 6,385
Quote:
I agree.  I listen to other very high end headphones, and say "pretty impressive", then I piut on LCD3's and say "Now that's music".  

Quote:

What do you guys use for DACs and AMPs?

May 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #745 of 6,385
I am actually listening to the Tron (The Legacy) OST.  It never sounded that good, although it was really pleasurable on the HD650.  I also particularly enjoyed the song "Come Undone" from "The Wedding Album" by Duran Duran this afternoon.

CoolBurn, reporting from the LCD-3 battlegrounds ...

May 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #746 of 6,385
Quote:

In short and in my best attempted terms, I think the LCD-3s add resolution (detail), have even better transient response (think speed and articulation), air, soundstage and are more transparent. And not the least - that BASS, which is the best I've heard. All that and still bloody euphonic and thoroughly enjoyable, which I think is missing with some of the competition around these budgets. :)

Thank you for those pictures!
They look beautiful! (and strangely familiar hehe ^_^)
I'm really glad to hear you like em!
L3000.gif

May 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #747 of 6,385
Quote:
I'm trying to hold off selling the LCD3 until I hear it with the Stratus to really give a final say...

I have to say though, my stand matches the LCD3 too well. :p

That's a hot combination I must say 
tongue.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #748 of 6,385
Quote:

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that the LCD-3s could be ordered with the suede pads and headband.

May 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #749 of 6,385
For those of you interested in making the jump to the LDC3s, I'm passing along something out of the deals thread.

Sound Earphones has a deal that I took advantage of this morning by ordering 4 x $500 gift cards from them. Each gift card is 20% off. Everything took place today. I copied a post from the deals thread below for the rest:

I ordered 4 x $500 gift cards from Sound Earphones for $1,600. I did this very early in the morning, taking the risk my plan would work out.

I got an email saying the 4 x $500 gift cards were being shipped via USPS. I used their chat to make sure the gift cards could be stacked. Drew responded that for this promotion, they could be stacked. He also said I should have receive the gift card code via email, which I did not. He immediately emailed me the code.

I then placed an order for the Audeze LCD-3. With the 20% effective discount, that put the brand new LCD-3 at $1,556. There was no tax since I don't live in Ohio. I did get the free overnight shipping via FedEx. I should get them tomorrow. There is still $55 left on my gift card. The website says it will never expire.

Note: Sound Earphones website lists only the balanced XLR cables in their included notes. Drew confirmed that they order straight from the manufacturer and don't open the boxes. So, it should include both balanced and SE cables. I'll find out tomorrow.

My experience with these guys was exceptional. They have great service, and a great return policy that is more than fair. I highly recommend them!

As of today, the promotion is still good! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back