Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #706 of 6,385
Yea the bassline on Achilles Last Stand is thunderous. JPJ is a master.  Led Zeppelin's very existence should be proof to bands that one cannot underestimate a good bass line (or well-mixed bass sound).
L3000.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #707 of 6,385
Quote:
Thanks, these are good impressions for a HD-650 owner like me. Could you expand on how the LCD-3 are different from the HD-650?

Thanks,

Paul

Hello Paul Meakin,

I like your first name very much, if you see what I mean :wink:

I will try and improve my description of the differences between the HD-650 and the LCD-3 for you.  The first thing which striked me was the lack of medium focus that is the trademark of the Senns.  As I was used to the HD650 for more than 3 years, I didn't enjoy the first listening hour because of this, and I think that's a standard "acoustic psychology phenomenon" if you allow me to say it like that.  In other words, I was just a little annoyed by the sudden difference in the sound on the songs I liked on the HD650, I guess no one can hold me guilty for this ...  Actually, to my ears, there is no focus on any frequency range on the LCD-3, which is a good thing and means easy EQ-ing for those who want to.  (I don't, and I never did on the HD650 either.)

The second thing I perceived is almost the same as the first one, and it was the lack of "clarity" in hi-med / very low treble (around 4 kHz I would say) and also in low/med treble (around 8 kHz ?) compared to the HD650.  But it didn't take me more than an hour to realize it was purely subjective and that it was once more due to my ears used for so long to the HD650 sound.  So, there is no lack of clarity or only with "bad" recordings.  In the song "Thriller" from MJ for example (to take a well-known song) everything is perfect, and no lack of clarity or whatever is perceived even for someone used to the HD650.  But for some recordings which are already not very "clear" in those frequency ranges, the LCD-3 will not change it (which is normal) and the HD650 will help to make the sound more intelligible (which is cool but not very neutral to say the least).

The third thing I felt was the presence and accuracy of the bass.  That's really what I wanted with the LCD-3, and I was so scared to be disappointed as far as the bass is concerned.  What is really cool about it is that it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the spectrum, while really wrapping the music into it.  There is no mid-bass bump as on the HD650 (which has always annoyed me) and so you hear the 100 Hz bass as loud as the 40 Hz one.  Ultra-COOOL, just what I was waiting for !  The HD650 could go down easily to 30 Hz (and even below) BUT the sound pressure level was audibly fainter at 30 Hz than at 100 Hz, resulting in a bass not really enjoyable (to my taste), not accurate enough (coloured in the horrible 100 Hz region, the one I hate ...)  And of course, there is no hint of bass distortion on the LCD-3, even in the 25 Hz zone, even at pretty loud volume (tried it with a 28 Hz sine wave on the Soloist, low-gain, volume attenuator at 3 o'clock and Cowon X9 at full volume - an unpleasant sound pressure level for my ears for more than a few seconds !)

The fourth thing is a little more subtle, and was one I had totally forgotten with the Senns: the "hi-highs" (14 kHz and above).  The LCD-3 is a lot clearer in this part of the spectrum, and in this frequency range it doesn't make the sound more aggressive or sibilant or fatiguing, it only adds detail and air to the sound compared to the HD650.  Totally re-discovered this spectrum range in the songs I like !  Helps a lot with the spatialization as well ...

Please don't flame me if you own the LCD-3 and don't have the same feelings as I have, my description of the differences between the LCD-3 and the HD650 is purely subjective (not measured) and depend on my hearing and my tastes, so I am not criticizing any of the two headphones !  Since you surely don't have the same ears and same tastes as I have, your opinion will differ (quite) a bit ...  No one is right or wrong, that's part of the hobby as I see it :)

Thanks for reading and let me know if it helps you, Paul :)

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #710 of 6,385
Paul Meakin.

That's good to know. Although, I most often listen to Jazz and Blues... but sometimes Rock, Indie Rock, and Punk. e.g Clash, Green Day, Muse, Killers, Kasabian, Kings of Leon, etc.
unquote

Actually the LCD-3 is wonderfull with jazz, very close to the instruments, very realistic and heavy sound tone. You make the size translation in your head closing your eyes and you're in the studio with Miles!

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #711 of 6,385
I agree with the above poster who says there is no mid-bass hump, someone wrote that  there is and I don't get that.  They are so clean through the mid-bass.

Also, I agree with the posters directly above who are extolling the virtues, top to bottom the LCD-3 sound like music.  No annoying big deviations, or peaks, or idiosyncrasies to wear on you.  

OK, one criticism, I'd love them to be lighter.  For me they are a "sit in the chair and listen" headphone, not something to be wandering around working on other things type of headphone. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #712 of 6,385
Quote:
I agree with the above poster who says there is no mid-bass hump, someone wrote that  there is and I don't get that.  They are so clean through the mid-bass.

Also, I agree with the posters directly above who are extolling the virtues, top to bottom the LCD-3 sound like music.  No annoying big deviations, or peaks, or idiosyncrasies to wear on you.  

OK, one criticism, I'd love them to be lighter.  For me they are a "sit in the chair and listen" headphone, not something to be wandering around working on other things type of headphone. 

ZoomButt.gif

They are perfectly cocoooooning for me comfort wise and sound wise, after hours of listening I tend to forget them... 

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #719 of 6,385
Well those are not my findings at all and we all hear different.  The LCD-3 extends the vocals out more and clarity is an automatic win for the LCD-3 IMO.  The LCD-3 fixes that congested / closed in sound the LCD-2.2 has.  Again this is IMO.  Maybe not worth the 1K increase - but if you take the price out of the equation the LCD-3s does everything better..

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #720 of 6,385
Well those are not my findings at all and we all hear different.  The LCD-3 extends the vocals out more and clarity is an automatic win for the LCD-3 IMO.  The LCD-3 fixes that congested / closed in sound the LCD-2.2 has.  Again this is IMO.  Maybe not worth the 1K increase - but if you take the price out of the equation the LCD-3s does everything better..

Personally, I absolutely agree with this. Better rendition of vocals was a major plus for the LCD-3.

But we do all hear things differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back