Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #6,226 of 6,385
Glorious is precisely I want.

Thanks, bro.

They're gonna be a shocker after your Grados. Give 'em time and nobody will be able to wipe the smile off yer face :)

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #6,227 of 6,385
You’re frightening me. Analytical is a harsh word in some minds, but all of this terminology is relative. The Sennheiser HD650 is ‘analytical’ compared to an LCD-2, but it’s still firmly on the warm side of neutral. How would you compare the LCD-3 to the current LCD-X, if you’ve heard them both? I’m expecting my new LCD-3 tomorrow, and I’m hoping for the lucidity of the LCD-X, with more bass slam natural midrange warmth (but not over the top warmth, which is how the rosewood LCD-2 sounded to me); in other words, just on the warm side of neutral!with plenty of dynamics. If they’re on the analytical side of neutral, they’re going right back to Audeze. I’m not spending that kind of tough for a headphone that is tiring to listen to, but I’ve never heard anyone else say that LCD-3 is tiring.

😰
Based on this I think they will be exactly what you are looking for. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #6,228 of 6,385
It's an odd combination as I failed to explain :D

There is a huge amount of detail but they're extremely musical. They were very tiring when I first started listening to them and after some long period of not using them and then trying them again, I loved them. I haven't heard the LCD-X, the only other pair of Audezes I have is the 2C.

These are not a fun headphone, they're glorious. They're no longer tiring, not since long ago...it just took me a while to get it.

Anyway, don't panic. Give them a chance and I expect you will love them.
Keep in mind too that the LCD-3s are also influenced by the upstream components.

I.e. if you are using a THX solid-state amp with a low-end ESS-chip DAC, for example, you would get a faster/more slamming, but analytical/detailed, sound as opposed to an R2R/ladder Multibit DAC with a tube amp, which will have a softer, warmer sound…

But agreed, no commenters/reviewers have ever called the LCD-3 overly “analytical”. Detailed, sure, but with a lush midrange and textured bass with good depth, coupled with a less-than-aggressive treble. (For transparency, I don’t have one, but it’s on my short list of headphones I may buy in the future)

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #6,229 of 6,385
Keep in mind too that the LCD-3s are also influenced by the upstream components.

I.e. if you are using a THX solid-state amp with a low-end ESS-chip DAC, for example, you would get a faster/more slamming, but analytical/detailed, sound as opposed to an R2R/ladder Multibit DAC with a tube amp, which will have a softer, warmer sound…

But agreed, no commenters/reviewers have ever called the LCD-3 overly “analytical”. Detailed, sure, but with a lush midrange and textured bass with good depth, coupled with a less-than-aggressive treble. (For transparency, I don’t have one, but it’s on my short list of headphones I may buy in the future)

Look at my gear list (which btw is not all-inclusive). I have a pair of LCD-3F and what to listen to them out of :wink:

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #6,230 of 6,385
Look at my gear list (which btw is not all-inclusive). I have a pair of LCD-3F and what to listen to them out of :wink:
Apologies- indeed, my comment was actually intended as a note to @Strat1117 with regards to how they have some control over what their inbound LCD-3 sounds like in their setup. 😔

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #6,231 of 6,385
Where's @Strat1117 with his report on his new LCD-3s?

California is so many hours earlier, you're keeping us in suspenders :D

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #6,232 of 6,385

You gotta be more patient. These are big drivers and they need a couple of days to settle down. 😁

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #6,233 of 6,385

You gotta be more patient. These are big drivers and they need a couple of days to settle down. 😁
Lol! I live in NY, I was just visiting California. Anyway, they arrived today (Monday) - they’re gorgeous and sound great out of the box, but it’s also a short work week and I’m jammed up, so I haven’t gotten enough seat time with them yet to form any definitive opinions or say anything more specific. I will say that I can’t for the life of me figure out why these were sold as B-stock. I see nothing wrong with them (and they don’t indicate B-stock anywhere on the box or label)? My greatest fear is that they are so good that I will want to upgrade amps (always a potential issue when you upgrade a downstream component). They sit at the tail end of a mid five figure system, so I’m not worried about the quality of my primary sources, and I think a nice old school all discrete Burson class A SS amp with a good stiff power supply (Soloist or HA-160) will do the trick. (I did all tube/analog for over 30 years - I’m done with tubes, so thank you but please don’t even suggest it. I am NOT implying that there’s anything inherently wrong with tubes, just that I’m 63, I’ve done the tube thing for a very long time and I’m glad to be finished with it, so tubes are just not where my head is right now).

CC937A32-C3FC-459E-A96E-EA3C56078661.jpeg

NSC

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #6,234 of 6,385
Just for clarity’s sake @AudioDuck - I’m well aware that upstream components affect the sound. I’ve been in this hobby for 50 years. I’m the one who repeatedly posts that headphones don’t make sound by themselves, and that source and amp are critical to your ultimate musical satisfaction. Anyway, as I said inartfully above, my primary sources (Flatcapped naim cd player and SME 10/IV tt with Lyra Kleos cartridge, Cotter step-up Xformer, Plinius Hautonga phono and line stages) are more than up to the task, and I intend to start with the trusted, workhorse headphone amps I already own before I go throwing money at more boxes. Thanks.

NSC

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #6,235 of 6,385
Lol! I live in NY, I was just visiting California.

1669101271583.png

Congrats on the cans! Looks like you got a nice piece of wood. I wanted bamboo on my LCD-3F but I wasn't able to find them here. The grain on mine is just kinda meh.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #6,236 of 6,385

Congrats on the cans! Looks like you got a nice piece of wood. I wanted bamboo on my LCD-3F but I wasn't able to find them here. The grain on mine is just kinda meh.
Yes - very happy with the wood, and the sound, so far as I can tell with such a short time, is indeed glorious. (I’m writing this at 2am, when I should be sleeping - work tomorrow. But I’m listening to Amber Rubarth, and her acoustic guitar and voice are eerily present, as is the percussion and the bowed cello (bass?). Love her live cover of ’Hold On’, both musically and sonically.) Anyway, my younger son is an AI researcher for Meta and he lives in San Francisco. You probably recall me recounting some of my recent visit there, but I’m born and bred in and around NYC.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #6,237 of 6,385
So far, not only beautiful to behold (and don’t kid yourself, at this level pride of ownership counts), but liquid, naturally detailed without being etched or bright, tonally rich, dynamic, transparent and warm without being mushy and, to me, super cushy and comfortable. I do not personally find the common weight complaint to be reality based, at least not for me (6’1”, 240lbs). More detailed and realistic than the LCD-2 (which was too warm for my taste), and more musically engaging than the 2021 rev. LCD-X, which imho is still a fine headphone well worth the price of admission. But this is the one I’ve been searching for. Lush and musical in the way of a fine Koetsu pion cartridge. Who cares if it’s not precisely neutral? To me, it is only ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral, which means it will always be musically engaging. A bullseye for anyone who wants to enjoy listening to their records (as opposed to matching random imaginary lines on a graph). I can’t think of another headphone that better ticks all my boxes. I’m beyond the point in my audio journey where I intentionally look for nits to pick, but I’m not sure I could find any even if I were to try. The LCD-3 seems to be precisely what I was looking for. The price of admission ain’t cheap, but worth every penny. Just exactly perfect. Woohoo.

4017C24B-284C-416A-B048-BD58F6DC16E0.jpeg

All of my observations are purely subjective and apply only to me, with my music in my system.

YMMV, just my $,02, etc., ad nsuseum.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #6,238 of 6,385
So far, not only beautiful to behold (and don’t kid yourself, at this level pride of ownership counts), but liquid, naturally detailed without being etched or bright, tonally rich, dynamic, transparent and warm without being mushy and, to me, super cushy and comfortable. I do not personally find the common weight complaint to be reality based, at least not for me (6’1”, 240lbs). More detailed and realistic than the LCD-2 (which was too warm for my taste), and more musically engaging than the 2021 rev. LCD-X, which imho is still a fine headphone well worth the price of admission. But this is the one I’ve been searching for. Lush and musical in the way of a fine Koetsu pion cartridge. Who cares if it’s not precisely neutral? To me, it is only ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral, which means it will always be musically engaging. A bullseye for anyone who wants to enjoy listening to their records (as opposed to matching random imaginary lines on a graph). I can’t think of another headphone that better ticks all my boxes. I’m beyond the point in my audio journey where I intentionally look for nits to pick, but I’m not sure I could find any even if I were to try. The LCD-3 seems to be precisely what I was looking for. The price of admission ain’t cheap, but worth every penny. Just exactly perfect. Woohoo.

4017C24B-284C-416A-B048-BD58F6DC16E0.jpeg

All of my observations are purely subjective and apply only to me, with my music in my system.

What amp(s) are you running it off of?

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #6,239 of 6,385
What amp(s) are you running it off of?
So far only the low impedance tap of my trusty old HA-160, fully discrete, class A, stiff power supply, never met a headphone it didn’t like. Not a leftover from a bygone era - I sought out a mint example because I like what it does - makes music without drawing attention to itself I do NOT like any of the newer amps I’ve tried as much. Anyway, one new variable at a time. I do have my eyes open for a nice Pass Labs HPA-1, but not much else interests me at the moment.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #6,240 of 6,385

Love your enthusiasm! I have been away from headphone listening for a little while but you inspired me to turn on my FiiO M11 and Violectric 220 amp and refresh my memory how my LCD-3F sounds again. Glad I did!
I wasn’t even aware Audeze refreshed this headphone. What’s different, new drivers?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back