Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #6,211 of 6,388
I own the LCD2s, LCD3s and LCD4s. Thought I'd share my experience here about the "lushness" of the midrange.

I first owned the LCD2s and totally fell in love with the sound. I've tried (and owned) a lot of other headphones at this point and I keep coming back to the Audeze sound. I decided to get the LCD3s because I loved the LCD2s so much. The LCD3s took everything I loved about the LCD3s and then some - I would actually say that they do have a lush (even more than the LCD2 - which I would argue actually has quite a lush midrange) midrange. When people say "lush midrange", I think that can mean different things though. For me, that means not only an openness in the frequency range around 1 and 2 kHz, but a transparency there, so - detail, perhaps. This part of the frequency range and transparency connects me to an emotional part of a singer's voice that I can't explain and that, to me, is what I'd call a lush midrange!

After trying other Audeze and non-Audeze headphones, no other headphones besides the LCD3 does this like they do it! It's beautiful.

EDITED: I'm referencing a 2019 pair of LCD2s and 2022 pair of LCD3s.

Have to agree based on all the reviews I have read, people discern different things. A top producer has described them as 'analytical' and 'not very fun to listen to' and I believe this in reference to the large resolution and frequency response. A lush midrange might be the choice of word if you compare something like DT990 to LCD-3 but if you take an LCD-3 at face value, it's probably not the most "lush". I am expecting to hear such things :)

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #6,212 of 6,388
Hey guys, if anyone was wondering this is Audeze's official response to my questions:

Thanks for your inquiry. Here's some information on some of the changes our 2016 driver revisions brought to the table:

-Reduced diaphragm thickness: Reduces driving mass for greater diaphragm response.
-Higher compliance: Lowers resonance for improved low frequency extension and bass definition.
-Optimized magnetic circuit: Creates more uniform magnetic flux distribution for a more uniform driving force, smooths frequency response, lowers distortion, with greater resolution and improved imaging.
-Improved diaphragm tensioning: A new system delivers better performance and improved consistency for less variation between units.
-Improved internal damping: Better, more controlled bass and a smoother overall frequency response.
-New voicing: Smooths the midrange response.

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #6,213 of 6,388
Have to agree based on all the reviews I have read, people discern different things. A top producer has described them as 'analytical' and 'not very fun to listen to' and I believe this in reference to the large resolution and frequency response. A lush midrange might be the choice of word if you compare something like DT990 to LCD-3 but if you take an LCD-3 at face value, it's probably not the most "lush". I am expecting to hear such things :)
Is think lush is a quite apt description. Compared the other headphones I have, the LCD-3 have a thicker very liquid presentation. Makes them really easy to listen to at the end of the night.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #6,215 of 6,388
Just another data point, my LCD-3F don't have a liquid presentation. I would say that about the LCD-2C. The 3F is analytical in the sense of huge resolution and detail. But it remains musical. Can be a tiring headphone until you get some hours on it and get the feeling for what it can do.

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #6,216 of 6,388
Nov 18, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #6,217 of 6,388
Nov 18, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #6,218 of 6,388
What’s Audeze asking these days to replace both drivers? This is part of the Audeze TCO.
I keep seeing $500 from people in threads. Have not heard of anyone needing newer (post when they changed the impedance) lcd4 drivers replaced though, just 2s or 3s. Granted, I haven't read this whole lcd4 thread.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #6,219 of 6,388
I keep seeing $500 from people in threads. Have not heard of anyone needing newer (post when they changed the impedance) lcd4 drivers replaced though, just 2s or 3s. Granted, I haven't read this whole lcd4 thread.
For some reason I thought I read $893 or maybe $983? It was somewhere near a grand. But I don’t remember how old that post was.

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #6,220 of 6,388
For some reason I thought I read $893 or maybe $983? It was somewhere near a grand. But I don’t remember how old that post was.
Whoa! Maybe it's different depending on the headphone?

@Audeze - are you able to comment here on how much it'd be to replace the drivers for an lcd4?

To clarify, the one I'm selling is a 2021 model and should still be under warranty for another 2 years, so this question would be pertaining to potential driver replacement after the warranty expires.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #6,222 of 6,388
Whoa! Maybe it's different depending on the headphone?

@Audeze - are you able to comment here on how much it'd be to replace the drivers for an lcd4?

To clarify, the one I'm selling is a 2021 model and should still be under warranty for another 2 years, so this question would be pertaining to potential driver replacement after the warranty expires.
Yeah that makes sense though. You have the nanoscale diaphragm and different magnet structure.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #6,223 of 6,388
Just another data point, my LCD-3F don't have a liquid presentation. I would say that about the LCD-2C. The 3F is analytical in the sense of huge resolution and detail. But it remains musical. Can be a tiring headphone until you get some hours on it and get the feeling for what it can do.
You’re frightening me. Analytical is a harsh word in some minds, but all of this terminology is relative. The Sennheiser HD650 is ‘analytical’ compared to an LCD-2, but it’s still firmly on the warm side of neutral. How would you compare the LCD-3 to the current LCD-X, if you’ve heard them both? I’m expecting my new LCD-3 tomorrow, and I’m hoping for the lucidity of the LCD-X, with more bass slam natural midrange warmth (but not over the top warmth, which is how the rosewood LCD-2 sounded to me); in other words, just on the warm side of neutral!with plenty of dynamics. If they’re on the analytical side of neutral, they’re going right back to Audeze. I’m not spending that kind of tough for a headphone that is tiring to listen to, but I’ve never heard anyone else say that LCD-3 is tiring.

😰

Nov 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #6,224 of 6,388
You’re frightening me. Analytical is a harsh word in some minds, but all of this terminology is relative. The Sennheiser HD650 is ‘analytical’ compared to an LCD-2, but it’s still firmly on the warm side of neutral. How would you compare the LCD-3 to the current LCD-X, if you’ve heard them both? I’m expecting my new LCD-3 tomorrow, and I’m hoping for the lucidity of the LCD-X, with more bass slam natural midrange warmth (but not over the top warmth, which is how the rosewood LCD-2 sounded to me); in other words, just on the warm side of neutral!with plenty of dynamics. If they’re on the analytical side of neutral, they’re going right back to Audeze. I’m not spending that kind of tough for a headphone that is tiring to listen to, but I’ve never heard anyone else say that LCD-3 is tiring.

😰

It's an odd combination as I failed to explain :D

There is a huge amount of detail but they're extremely musical. They were very tiring when I first started listening to them and after some long period of not using them and then trying them again, I loved them. I haven't heard the LCD-X, the only other pair of Audezes I have is the 2C.

These are not a fun headphone, they're glorious. They're no longer tiring, not since long ago...it just took me a while to get it.

Anyway, don't panic. Give them a chance and I expect you will love them.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #6,225 of 6,388
It's an odd combination as I failed to explain :D

There is a huge amount of detail but they're extremely musical. They were very tiring when I first started listening to them and after some long period of not using them and then trying them again, I loved them. I haven't heard the LCD-X, the only other pair of Audezes I have is the 2C.

These are not a fun headphone, they're glorious. They're no longer tiring, not since long ago...it just took me a while to get it.

Anyway, don't panic. Give them a chance and I expect you will love them.
Glorious is precisely I want.

Thanks, bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back