Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #5,041 of 6,385
I think there’s a reason Audeze recommend 1-4W to properly drive an LCD (maybe not the X/XC which are easier to drive). It has nothing to do with loudness and everything to do with control.

Yes they’ll sound good off lesser sources, but they’ll sound bigger and better with more power and more importantly more synergy.

Also need to take into account the sound profile of your headphones, and how you like to hear them. For example if you want more clarity and treble detail from your LCD-3, don’t plug it into a warmer, thicker sounding dac or amp. Likewise if you like your bass deep and powerful, find an amp tuned to deliver just that.

Basing your amp choice on power required to get a headphone to a certain volume level is absolutely pointless.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #5,042 of 6,385
Synergy is the name of the game. Weirdly enough the CMA400i does less than 1W at the 3's resistance but it sounds the tits (I believe Questyle has some funky circuitry that makes the effective current higher?). But like you said, man, it's about what you're looking for and how to nudge a given headphone in the right direction. Like I wouldn't put a bright amp on an HD800 because ow my tinnitus, but it'd work well to even out an LCD.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #5,043 of 6,385
Synergy is the name of the game. Weirdly enough the CMA400i does less than 1W at the 3's resistance but it sounds the tits (I believe Questyle has some funky circuitry that makes the effective current higher?). But like you said, man, it's about what you're looking for and how to nudge a given headphone in the right direction. Like I wouldn't put a bright amp on an HD800 because ow my tinnitus, but it'd work well to even out an LCD.

The Questyle uses a current amplifier that is nearly an ideal source for the huge, current-hungry voice coil matrix inside every LCD (except XC). Here is a great article about the operation of current amplifiers like the Questyle:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/first-look-current-source-amp-performance

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #5,044 of 6,385
Jun 5, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #5,045 of 6,385
Jun 5, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #5,046 of 6,385
Except XC but not X?

Wondered if anyone would catch that. The current amp must "see" the headphones driver's native impedance for proper operation. Since 2014 the XC includes frequency compensation, a circuit with capacitors, resistors, and inductors, between the amp and driver. This circuit vastly changes headphone impedance, eliminating the advantage of the current amp. The LCD-X does not use frequency compensation.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #5,047 of 6,385
Is the Magni 3 "a current amplifier"? What benefits would I see switching to CMA400i with Audeze headphones, the X in particular, which appears to have a rather different sound signature? Although ironically enough I have listened to the LCD-3 through the CMA600i's amplifier and was not impressed. Unbalanced versus balanced?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #5,048 of 6,385
Just got mine back with the new drivers. Only an hour in, mids seem a bit more recessed than on the original Fazor drivers. Otherwise fairly similar, maybe a touch more sparkle up top. Suspect it’ll change a bit though.

Just an update on this, looks like it was mostly the new pads they installed.

I swapped them out for a velour set I had lying around and it’s back to being much closer to what the original fazor drivers were like. They installed some black leather pads when they replaced the driver, they were quite stiff & I think that extra distance from my ear to the driver was making the headphone sound different.

In terms of the debate raging about amps, I’m now using a iFi Micro black label, and the difference from when I used to use an Oppo HA-1 (balanced) is pretty minimal. Although I am aware the iFi is one of the most powerful transportable amps. Don’t have a desktop set up in my current circumstances so the iFi suited me more at the moment.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #5,049 of 6,385
Normal mode is up to 1W on the Micro BL, Turbo 4W. I use a different, not power hungry headphone, and found a basic Schiit stack preferable, plus I couldn't hear much of any difference between the Nano BL and Micro BL. Maybe the Micro BL complements the LCD-3 better due to leaning/thinning out the sound somewhat.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #5,050 of 6,385
I'm with the people who notice the difference that 1-4W of output power gives to the LCD 3 (LCD 4 and LCD 2 included). I cannot bear listening to LCDs on anything that doesn't provide that level of output power. I've tried it. Some portable devices are decent and can lull you into a false sense of it being the dog's bollocks. But when compared to a properly specced desktop rig that does 1W+ at the 110 ohms of the LCD 3, they all lose.

For me, dynamic transients are a step above with the LCD3 and an amp that does provide the 1W and above. It can be the difference between a 2D soundstage and a 3D soundstage. It can be comparing a lacklustre and one dimensional presentation to one where instruments seem live and present. It might not always be obvious, depending on the type of music that you listen to - but if you do listen at a decently loud level, it will matter.

Seriously, the manufacturer themselves recommend that level of power. Why fight what they say? Just take a good 1W+ amp home and audition it, then come back and tell us what you think.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #5,052 of 6,385
**** it, I just bought the Questyle CMA600i.

Seems like a solid option plus I can go nuts and buy a separate DAC someday if it feels worth it.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for kinda planting the seed for a flame war in here.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #5,053 of 6,385
**** it, I just bought the Questyle CMA600i.

Seems like a solid option plus I can go nuts and buy a separate DAC someday if it feels worth it.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for kinda planting the seed for a flame war in here.

You're gonna have fuuuuuuun with that combo.

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #5,054 of 6,385
You're gonna have fuuuuuuun with that combo.

Well, not yet I won't. Apparently "Now In Stock!" for Moon-Audio means "It's back-ordered and we're hoping to receive a shipment """soon""""

Users who are viewing this thread

Back