Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,946 of 6,385
Buying LCD-3s to plug into a computer shows a serious lack of understanding for their intended application. There are a lot of good headphones that are engineered to be used with basic consumer electronics, the LCD-3 is not one of them. If you need a car for picking up the kids and hauling groceries then a Honda Accord would be a better choice than a Ferrari.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,947 of 6,385
  Greetings all,

I'm new (VERY new) to head-fi, and just received delivery of my first pair of high end headphones yesterday - a pair of LCD-3's.  As all of you know, these weren't cheap, and I'm left, at the moment, with a budget of $400 or less to spend on some sort of amp.  (I plugged them directly into the back of my iMac 27" when I got them yesterday, and they sounded so bad I don't even want to listen to them again until I get something.)   By September, I'll have built back enough money to purchase something in the $1,000-$2,000 range, so what I'm looking for (I think) I some sort of sub-$400 interim solution that I could keep after getting the better amp in September.  My thought is that it might be a good idea to get something portable now (possibly the Oppo HA-2??) which I could then use as a secondary (travel) amp after I get the better (probably non-portable) amp in September.    

What would be truly great is a sub-$400 suggestion that I could drive out and purchase at a brick and mortar store in the southern California LA or San Diego area today.  I'd rather not wait to order something off the web (but, if I must, then I can and will.)  

So... any suggestions, thoughts, etc, would be greatly appreciated.  By the way, thanks to everyone who has already contributed valuable advice/experience/impressions in this thread so far.  On the merits of that, I'm already looking at cables, microsuede ear pads, and that brilliant looking suspension system designed by a user here.  

---Berus 

I feel like you asked a question and we all just sort of gave you **** and bickered with each other.

Welcome to the community! As a long-time lurker, more recent poster, I can tell you that there's rarely ever malice behind suggestions or responses in general. People like to call people out and say things like "you clearly have no idea what you're talking about", or "your question demonstrate a severe lack of knowledge". People like to get into arguments over whether or not a certain set of headphones (or "transducers" if your fancy) are "bright" or "crisp" (FWIW, the audiophile glossary can be quite helpful, although it's definitions aren't always in line with what Head-Fi'ers say). At the end of the day, I genuinely think everyone is trying to help everyone else enjoy music.

To more specifically address your question, I forgot to mention that I've never tried the HA-2 with the LCD-3s, but I have tried the FiiO Mont Blanc/E12. It is sufficient for occasional portable listening when no other option is available. It also has a bass boost (which I never touch), an impedance switch (you'll need the higher power option for the LCD-3s), and cross-fade (which is sometimes pretty nice).

I did try the HA-2 with my EL-8s. IIRC, the HA-2 has a bass boost switch which was equally not to my liking as the E12s, and it also had two impedance settings. I didn't do a side-by-side with my E12, so I can't say which is better. But the cross fade is a feature I value in the E12, so that's something to consider...

As for cables, pads, etc., I found I had to try my LCD-3s at almost every yoke setting until I found what was comfortable. Just try one for 30 seconds, then move to the next one. I was surprised that I actually preferred a setting that was a shorter than what I naturally assumed would be the correct setting.

As for cables -- I've tried the stock cable and the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable (TRS/ quarter-inch terminator). At first I thought the cable was all voodoo, but now I can tell the difference between the Moon Audio cable and the stock cable in a blind test (having a friend randomly change the cord and place the phones on my head) about 90% of the time (n=20, do the significance test however you prefer). I think it expands the soundstage and adds a touch more detail, especially in the highs. I don't have a balanced setup, so I can't really compare there. I did try out the stock balanced cable on the ALO Studio 6 at a meet, but didn't really think it made much of a difference. Maybe I needed to listen more critically. That might disqualify my audiophile license right there.

I hope you can find the right gear to reach "audio nirvana" -- even if it does mean you part ways with the LCD-3s.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,948 of 6,385
I had been playing with the idea of getting a fancy pants cable for my LCD-3Fs, I still would like to try a moon-audio Silver Dragon, but I decided to go cheap and bought one off of ebay from this british outfit. It is made out of Van Damme blue and has neutrik XLR for around $50. Even fresh out of the package it is a notable improvement over the stock cable. It is very well made and should last forever. Van Damme is more of a pro-audio brand so hype or frills. I don't think it really tips the balance of the headphone one way or another. It seems to add a little bit of immediacy and definition to the sound. It is a significant improvement over the stock cable.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3,949 of 6,385
  I had been playing with the idea of getting a fancy pants cable for my LCD-3Fs, I still would like to try a moon-audio Silver Dragon, but I decided to go cheap and bought one off of ebay from this british outfit. It is made out of Van Damme blue and has neutrik XLR for around $50. Even fresh out of the package it is a notable improvement over the stock cable. It is very well made and should last forever. Van Damme is more of a pro-audio brand so hype or frills. I don't think it really tips the balance of the headphone one way or another. It seems to add a little bit of immediacy and definition to the sound. It is a significant improvement over the stock cable.

I purchased one of their XLR extenders. 5 meters. Works well and is got a good build quality. Not very flexible tho. Is yours a bit more flexible?

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #3,950 of 6,385

I purchased one of their XLR extenders. 5 meters. Works well and is got a good build quality. Not very flexible tho. Is yours a bit more flexible?

The main cable itself is probably the same as yours (if it is the Van Damme blue) but at the Y in the cable the two channels have a textile type covering that is far more flexible than the main cable (maybe due to the covering, maybe due to being only half the wire in there!) It is definitely not the best choice for a lot movement, but I'm pretty stationary with the LCD-3s on anyway. The ergonomics aren't a bother to me, I don't notice any real difference in this department vs the stock cable (in my use, which is sitting in my desk chair.) But it is pretty beefy (more so than my Mr Speakers stock cable.)

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #3,952 of 6,385
  The LCD leather support band was VERY well $ spent.
Not that I got pain from the LCD3's but they feel SO much lighter on my head now.

Mine are on the way. To install do you just unscrew the top black part of the yoke and pull it out of the housing?

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3,953 of 6,385

Mine are on the way. To install do you just unscrew the top black part of the yoke and pull it out of the housing?

That's how I did it. Just be careful when you put them on for the first time. The strap is effective, but it also significantly changes the balance point of the LCD's. Also if you're currently extending the standard yokes to the point that only one or two indentation "rings" are left visible then you'll likely need the longer yokes that Audeze sells. IME the band takes about two-three "rings" worth of depth off the yokes. Cheers

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #3,954 of 6,385
  That's how I did it. Just be careful when you put them on for the first time. The strap is effective, but it also significantly changes the balance point of the LCD's. Also if you're currently extending the standard yokes to the point that only one or two indentation "rings" are left visible then you'll likely need the longer yokes that Audeze sells. IME the band takes about two-three "rings" worth of depth off the yokes. Cheers

Thanks. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #3,955 of 6,385

Yep same, unscrewed the top black screws.
Then pulled the head band up on each side as if I was extending it, popped off, done.

Agree, I had mine on low ring count, now its closer to middle.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #3,957 of 6,385
  How's the upgrade from LCD-2F to LCD-3C? Is there anything I would miss or is everything better? Or should I skip the classic and shoot for Fazor?

I don't think you can buy an LCD-3C unless you find a shop with old stock or you buy it used. Audeze only makes the Fazor version now.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #3,960 of 6,385
My LCD-3 is the unfazored one and I think I like it better that way. Maybe it will be a collectors item someday? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back