Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,521 of 6,385
I remember being so surprised last February when I got my LCD-3s when I found out how bright they were. All I kept hearing about was how dark and sultry they were, but I don't hear them that way at all. I honestly don't find them any less bright than a pair of SA5000s, just a lot more meat on the bones and a night and day difference in bass. I'm also using a gung/mojo combo which contributes to the forward sound.

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #2,522 of 6,385
  I remember being so surprised last February when I got my LCD-3s when I found out how bright they were. All I kept hearing about was how dark and sultry they were, but I don't hear them that way at all. I honestly don't find them any less bright than a pair of SA5000s, just a lot more meat on the bones and a night and day difference in bass. I'm also using a gung/mojo combo which contributes to the forward sound.

+1

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #2,523 of 6,385

Tyll is doing a new review of current LCD-X, LCD-3, and LCD-2 revs right now.

This is from the comments on AKG 812 “Well, got a couple three posts that will be prior, but current revs of the LCD-X, LCD-3, and LCD-2 are in the house and on and off my head for a review.”

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #2,524 of 6,385
I have listened the 2011 version with repaired drivers twice during 2012 and 2013, to compare with my currently owned 2014's version, in my ears of coz, the 2014's is more airy, more clarity, and honestly more treble as well. Both are using with mjolnir/gungnir, i need to turn up the volume to 10:30 or up for some recording for the 2011 ver so to sound more present, however, i can stay at 9:00 to 9:30 with my 2014's 3 and enjoy it very much.

IMO, i definitely hear differences between different versions of lcd3.
smily_headphones1.gif

I almost pull the trigger to get the lcd-x, but i think i made the right decision to get the current version lcd-3 with my stack.they sound wonderful and "end game" to me.

Well I would like to think my ears were better than to miss all those differences you describe especially as I am over sensitive in the treble region. I was able to have both LCD-3s together side by side connected to two Burson Soloist amps (As my friend has the same one). We level matched them and then put segments of a music track on a loop and swapped the headphones as quickly as we could. Neither of us picked up on the things you said. Can I ask if you were able to compare side by side, or you were trying LCD-3s at different times but never had two of them together at once?

Of course it is possible that the differences you heard are nothing to do with 2012 or 2013 or 2014...but that every LCD-3 is different and I just happened to find two that are similar. Such a high-end headphone should not be like that though. They have also stuck with serial numbers starting 261 whereas normally Audeze change the prefix after manufacturing changes.

Please understand I am not saying you are wrong and I am right....more than that, I do believe what you described, and I am more worried about these silent changes. It would be nice to hear from Audeze. As I mentioned in an earlier post I thought I was listening to a 2014 model, but the graph was 2013. You said you heard a 2013 model as well...at that point did it still sound similar to you to earlier ones? (i.e. are you suggesting this is a VERY recent change roughly in-line with the release of the LCD-X?)

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #2,525 of 6,385
First of all, i am apologize if my english made any misunderstanding, all above i mentioned was just my humble opinion.
Second of all,the previously owned pair was made in 2011,repaired once in 2012,and repaired again on 2013 by replacing both drivers, that pair sound somewhat muffled comparing to the one i currently bought in Feb 2014.I dont have them side by side to compare, but i listened them within 2,3 weeks. The volume setting on mjolnir stand true to my hearing observation as i have to turn up more than the one i own now.

I am not sure if there is any changes in materials between the previous models and 2014's, but IME,i do hear the differences. OR,may be just my new toy's honey moon.:)

But anyways, i do enjoy the setup i have now. Cheers.^^

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #2,526 of 6,385
I just picked up an LCD-3 in the used market,it's serial is 261xxxx with a date of 10/18/2012.Any concerns with this particular date,graph look ok?

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,527 of 6,385
First of all, i am apologize if my english made any misunderstanding, all above i mentioned was just my humble opinion.
Second of all,the previously owned pair was made in 2011,repaired once in 2012,and repaired again on 2013 by replacing both drivers, that pair sound somewhat muffled comparing to the one i currently bought in Feb 2014.I dont have them side by side to compare, but i listened them within 2,3 weeks. The volume setting on mjolnir stand true to my hearing observation as i have to turn up more than the one i own now.

I am not sure if there is any changes in materials between the previous models and 2014's, but IME,i do hear the differences. OR,may be just my new toy's honey moon.:)

But anyways, i do enjoy the setup i have now. Cheers.^^

Forgot to mention, the serial number of previous pair starts with 231, current one is 261

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2,528 of 6,385
I'm a happy Schiit Lyr owner now, black edition, pics:

Yeah, of course the LCD-3 are connected to it, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here :wink:

At first - Cold and somewhat distorted. Later - better

Lots of detail, musicality, dynamics, I love it, hope to be rolling soon :wink:

P.S: Not to offend, IMHO: Better than Burson Soloist.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #2,529 of 6,385
I'm a happy Schiit Lyr owner now, black edition, pics:

Yeah, of course the LCD-3 are connected to it, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here :wink:

At first - Cold and somewhat distorted. Later - better

Lots of detail, musicality, dynamics, I love it, hope to be rolling soon :wink:

P.S: Not to offend, IMHO: Better than Burson Soloist.

Time to think about mjolnir :p
I owned lyr before as well, well paired with my beloved He-500

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #2,530 of 6,385
Time to think about mjolnir :p
I owned lyr before as well, well paired with my beloved He-500

And the reason is? Why would I want to go for the Mjolnir?

I'm thinking Ragnarok for end game setup, it wouldn't surprise me if Ragnarok would be better than GS-X mk2. Sorry Justin.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #2,531 of 6,385
Forgot to mention, the serial number of previous pair starts with 231, current one is 261

My unit is a 261 and the chart is from August 2012. Very briefly I had a repaired 231 unit (it never had a previous owner, but the store had sent it back for checking and the drivers were replaced), and I had issues with it due to a sibilance issue at the equivalent of Middle C on a piano. I have no idea why it was like that. I use my headphones extensively for piano, including the use with a digital piano. The Audeze were by far the best headphones for this purpose with the HD800 and PS1000 being totally unsuitable due to over pronounced treble. They sounded completely wrong whereas the Audeze recreates the piano timbre perfectly.

But you had your 231 repaired twice with new drivers, so effectively it became a 261 anyway :)

If there are changes in the headphones (261), then they must be very recent indeed.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,532 of 6,385
My unit is a 261 and the chart is from August 2012. Very briefly I had a repaired 231 unit (it never had a previous owner, but the store had sent it back for checking and the drivers were replaced), and I had issues with it due to a sibilance issue at the equivalent of Middle C on a piano. I have no idea why it was like that. I use my headphones extensively for piano, including the use with a digital piano. The Audeze were by far the best headphones for this purpose with the HD800 and PS1000 being totally unsuitable due to over pronounced treble. They sounded completely wrong whereas the Audeze recreates the piano timbre perfectly.

But you had your 231 repaired twice with new drivers, so effectively it became a 261 anyway :)

If there are changes in the headphones (261), then they must be very recent indeed.

I thought the same exactly, it should "sound" brand new after replaced the drivers, i am not sure what they changed or did for the recent 3's...may be it is just my brain.

One thing for sure though, they both sound excellent and end game to my ears. Enjoy!

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #2,534 of 6,385
I thought the same exactly, it should "sound" brand new after replaced the drivers, i am not sure what they changed or did for the recent 3's...may be it is just my brain.

One thing for sure though, they both sound excellent and end game to my ears. Enjoy!

Indeed! Enjoyment is what it is all about. I do suffer from upgraditis but I am not sure why I should because I don't wish for something that I find missing with the music I listen to. I am extremely happy with my LCD-3 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back