Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #991 of 6,388
Jun 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #992 of 6,388
My LCD-3's arrived today! Of course I'm posting some pictures, these are more beautiful than I hoped for. The wood grain and level of polish is outstanding....They are a very recent batch, May 28th. 

I've only had a very brief listen, and initial reactions are good. I can tell there is more "air" than the LCD-2's. I will refrain from any more impressions of the sound until I can share something sensible. I will hopefully have several hours of listening tonight and will post more as the days/weeks go by. 

I will also try to get some sexier pics than these quick snaps. I think these beauties deserve it. 

And thanks to Justin @ Headamp...

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #993 of 6,388
@ thegrobe:

Congratulations :)

I was reading your post when listening to the song "Black Velvet", so everything was sexy: the pics in your post and the song :wink:

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #994 of 6,388
@ thegrobe:

Congratulations :)

I was reading your post when listening to the song "Black Velvet", so everything was sexy: the pics in your post and the song :wink:

Thanks CoolBurn,

As part of last night's maiden voyage I had a good portion of Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" and even a little Bill Withers peppered in. Needless to say, there was some sexiness dripping out the kit....enough to keep the theme alive :wink:

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #995 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks CoolBurn,

As part of last night's maiden voyage I had a good portion of Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" and even a little Bill Withers peppered in. Needless to say, there was some sexiness dripping out the kit....enough to keep the theme alive
wink.gif

Wonderful !  And I bet the LCD-3 ain't sexy for just the two of us :wink:

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #997 of 6,388
Alannah Myles :)

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #998 of 6,388
^ That's a good one, I have it somewhere.

Quick search of my messed-up iTunes library reveals "The Black Angel's Death Song" by The Velvet Underground
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #999 of 6,388
Quote:
Dynamics, soundstage, imaging and details :)

Actually - for me the improvements were mostly in the lower midrange to bottom end.
The bass became more authoritative and focused.  I could more easily discern actual bass notes on stand-up bass in jazz recordings,
and other acoustic music.  When it came to electronic music (like Aphex Twin's I Care Because You Do) the slam just dissipated, any
hint of over-hang was just gone.

A worthy upgrade.

Rockin the whole system now:
MacBook Pro/Amarra 2.5.1 (BEST Amarra yet)
MYTEK Stereo192-DSD DAC
E.A.R HP4 (w/ GE and RCA 6SL7 tubes)
Audeze LCD3
Moon Audio Silver Dragon LCD3 cables

yeah hooh!! 

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,000 of 6,388
Listening to Pink Floyd Animals and hearing those dogs barking at a 45 degree angle BEHIND my ears and above head about 10" with the synth howling off the temples about 8" to front and sides is just surreal. Damn it I love these phones! And the Schiit stack not too shabby either... THIS is why I bought the 3s for that detail and soundstage.  

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,001 of 6,388
You guys with the LCD-3's..question about "burn in". Are you noticing any significant changes etc. after time? I guess any burn in is debatable just seeing what the consensus is with the 3's.

I've got maybe 10-15 hours on mine here, and just wondering if I should leave them playing overnight the next week or so in addition to my regular daily listening session....to speed up aging if it's a noticeable difference.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,002 of 6,388
Quote:
You guys with the LCD-3's..question about "burn in". Are you noticing any significant changes etc. after time? I guess any burn in is debatable just seeing what the consensus is with the 3's.

I've got maybe 10-15 hours on mine here, and just wondering if I should leave them playing overnight the next week or so in addition to my regular daily listening session....to speed up aging if it's a noticeable difference.

I was told by Audeze last year that they run the LCD-3s on burn-in for 48 hours! They said they shouldn't change after this. Now people have sworn that they hear changes after 40 hours of listening, or even 400. Personally, I haven't noticed that mine have changed one bit from when I first got them, and as I primarily use them for my Yamaha Clavinova piano, and as a musician, I believe I would have noticed! There is also the human burn-in effect that has been discussed previously. If you are wow'd from the moment you first use them, then I think the question is somewhat immaterial!

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,003 of 6,388
My 3s sounded great from first listen and hard to say if there has been any significant burn in. Prolly around 60 hours of play time estimate. Maybe after a couple hundred hours or more will hear some noticeable difference? So far they have just sounded beautiful. Really happy with them so far.
:)

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,004 of 6,388
Quote:
My LCD-3's arrived today! Of course I'm posting some pictures, these are more beautiful than I hoped for. The wood grain and level of polish is outstanding....They are a very recent batch, May 28th. 

I've only had a very brief listen, and initial reactions are good. I can tell there is more "air" than the LCD-2's. I will refrain from any more impressions of the sound until I can share something sensible. I will hopefully have several hours of listening tonight and will post more as the days/weeks go by. 

I will also try to get some sexier pics than these quick snaps. I think these beauties deserve it. 

And thanks to Justin @ Headamp...

Okay, that's the second one I have seen like this. They have changed the varnish they are using. Until recently, the LCD-3s varnish is matte and thinly applied such that you can still feel the texture/grain in the wood. They seem to be using a slightly coloured, glossy and thicker varnish now

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,005 of 6,388
Quote:

Put them bad boys on - play your fav. tunes and just enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back