Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #631 of 6,385
After spending a ton of time with a late 2012 LCD-3 powered via HeadRoom's BUDA I have come to love the sound.  To me the cost would be worth it had the headband been constructed more like the STAX 009 headphone.  The sound signature is just about perfect with plenty of speed, detailed and well extended at both ends of the frequency response curve, and certainly the looks are amazing.

They remain their best headphone to date and probably the best headphone under $5000, but it would great to see that headband redesign and a 40% drop in price.  I think more people would immediately be on board if that occurs.

For those looking for that top-end headphone the LCD-3 will not disappoint.  The great thing about them is an amp like the O2+ODAC combo drives them quite well making the amp selection affordable.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #633 of 6,385
I bought a pair of LCD-2 rev3 last November to go with a Gungnir/Mjolnir Schiit stack.

I was very happy until I heard them beside a pair of LCD-3s a week ago. Bought a new pair of LCD-3s last Tuesday and am enjoying them immensely. They address the issues I found lacking in my LCD-2s.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #634 of 6,385
Quote:
I bought a pair of LCD-2 rev3 last November to go with a Gungnir/Mjolnir Schiit stack.

I was very happy until I heard them beside a pair of LCD-3s a week ago. Bought a new pair of LCD-3s last Tuesday and am enjoying them immensely. They address the issues I found lacking in my LCD-2s.

That's why I refuse to ever try any Stax headphones.

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #639 of 6,385
Quote:
Out of curiosity which other headphones did you have before LCD-3?  The other headphones are part of the journey that allows you to enjoy the LCD-3 even more 
wink.gif

Within last 10 years chronoligicaly: Sennheiser HD25 to Grado GS1000 to JH13 PRO. The JH13 was the best up to now but don't like the "confort" of İEM. The JH13 is very very good but the LCD 3 is better (more natural warm) in sound and soundstage and confort all that make it a GREAT listening experience for me. But you're right this is a journey and I seem with LCD3/BHA-1 combo to have reach the end of a journey and can enjoy the sight and atmospherer at destination:) The next journeys to differents shores can be with STAX maybe, latter no hurry anymore now...  
ZoomButt.gif

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #640 of 6,385
Quote:
I'm having a hard time to finding a perfect mate for my LCD-3s.  The GS-X mk2 is good.  But they don't stand out.  The BHA-1 and the Mjolnir made them stand out more.  

That's the thing with a "wire with gain" amp...upstream gear can then be revealed. 
size]

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #641 of 6,385
Quote:

What exactly were the issues you had with your LCD2r3's? I think mine are just great but then I don't have any other experience with other cans other than Beyer DT990's. Just curious exactly what the differences in the 2's and the 3's really are and how substantial those differences are.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #642 of 6,385
What exactly were the issues you had with your LCD2r3's? I think mine are just great but then I don't have any other experience with other cans other than Beyer DT990's. Just curious exactly what the differences in the 2's and the 3's really are and how substantial those differences are.

They were not perceived as issues until I tried the LCD-3s, side by side with the LCD-2s. That was at King Audio, a Headphone store in Hong Kong last weekend. The source was a highend Marantz SACD player and amp was a Vioelectric V200. That V200 was a very sweet sounding piece. Very tube like in all the best ways.

First thing I noticed, was that the LCD-3 were quite a bit more comfortable. The thicker, plusher leather earpads were very comfy and the headband fit my head better.

Listening to the LCD-2s first, I could tell the sonic signature was similar to my own. Then on first listen to the LCD-3s, there was just less grain, more soundstage, clarity, high frequency detail, and just plain balanced and more natural sounds coming from the LCD-3s. With only 30 seconds head time, I wanted the LCD-3s

After buying a pair of LCD-3s from ALO Audio when I returned home, I can't get the new headphones off my head. Something I could not say about my LCD-2s. Could only listen to those for a few hours before listener fatigue set in.

How substantial are the differences? I'd say evolutionary, not revolutionary. They still sound like Audeze headphones, but with more refinement in areas I value. The LCD-3 is a better fit to my audio priorities, where the LCD-2s were very good, but did not rise up to end game potential for me.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #644 of 6,385
Quote:
They were not perceived as issues until I tried the LCD-3s, side by side with the LCD-2s. That was at King Audio, a Headphone store in Hong Kong last weekend. The source was a highend Marantz SACD player and amp was a Vioelectric V200. That V200 was a very sweet sounding piece. Very tube like in all the best ways.

First thing I noticed, was that the LCD-3 were quite a bit more comfortable. The thicker, plusher leather earpads were very comfy and the headband fit my head better.

Listening to the LCD-2s first, I could tell the sonic signature was similar to my own. Then on first listen to the LCD-3s, there was just less grain, more soundstage, clarity, high frequency detail, and just plain balanced and more natural sounds coming from the LCD-3s. With only 30 seconds head time, I wanted the LCD-3s

After buying a pair of LCD-3s from ALO Audio when I returned home, I can't get the new headphones off my head. Something I could not say about my LCD-2s. Could only listen to those for a few hours before listener fatigue set in.

How substantial are the differences? I'd say evolutionary, not revolutionary. They still sound like Audeze headphones, but with more refinement in areas I value. The LCD-3 is a better fit to my audio priorities, where the LCD-2s were very good, but did not rise up to end game potential for me.

I can't get the new headphones off my head: and it start to be a troube with my ears. 1 month now I'm listening 3-4 hours EVERY EVENING!!! And my ears start to say STOP! So I decide to stop for 1 week... be carrefull with that. Last month I stopped smoking, this month I stop LCD 3, hard time on me...
ZoomButt.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #645 of 6,385
Quote:

wink.gif
 The Audeze Lcd 3's have the most transparent sound I have ever heard. These are not headphones, these are musical instruments.

RubyTiger, happy to see you start to be happy!
ZoomButt.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back