Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #2,251 of 6,385
Welcome (back) Kojaku ! :)

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #2,252 of 6,385
More like welcome back xD. I am a former LCD-2 owner who went HD800 and came back to the darkness hehe.

Kojaku

Then it's welcome back traitor :)

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2,253 of 6,385
Then it's welcome back traitor
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I remember you were flirting with the idea of buying my hd800 a few months ago... :))))

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2,254 of 6,385
But I didn't :p

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #2,255 of 6,385
  From what I remember you were flirting with the idea of buying my hd800 a few months ago... :))))

iwas thinking of buying a hd800 too but screw that - im buying a lcd-x to keep the lcd3 company

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2,256 of 6,385
Jan 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,257 of 6,385
I enjoyed my time with the HD800, but I had to tube roll to high heaven to get it to sound even close to what I wanted. It didn't feel like the inherent flavor of the HD800 was really my thing.

I'm probably part of the minute minority on this, but I'm of the opinion that the LCD-3 still edges out the LCD-X. Having been all around the map with house sounds, I think that the LCD-3 really encapsulates the best of the Audez'e house sound, while the LCD-X sounds like an attempt at hitting the neutrality-obsessed semi-pro segment (not that that's a bad idea, but it just isn't the Audez'e that I abandoned Sennheiser for). 

Kojaku 

edit: Updated my sig and my community profile, lol.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2,258 of 6,385
Just upgraded my stock cable to a Q French silk (1.5m length) on my LCD-3.  A bit surprised for such a notable change. I thought the stock cable gave me a pretty decent balance. No major complaints about imaging or soundstaging (I personally think HD800 is a bit over the top on the latter)  but probably my chief complaint was the supressed attack. It's as if the headphone was fighting back on fast transcients.  Well, all that pretty much disappeared with the cable upgrade. Huge improvement in imaging, some in soundstaging.  Had an interesting impact on overall balance though -- that huge meaty bass lightened up and everything pushed towards the treble.  Overall, very pleased, but will take an effort to readjust my ears again.  But does make me wonder, did they tune LCD-3 to sound darker with the stock cable, or is the intended signature the brighter flavor of aftermarket cabling?

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,259 of 6,385
I'm probably part of the minute minority on this, but I'm of the opinion that the LCD-3 still edges out the LCD-X. Having been all around the map with house sounds, I think that the LCD-3 really encapsulates the best of the Audez'e house sound, while the LCD-X sounds like an attempt at hitting the neutrality-obsessed semi-pro segment

I have come to that opinion too.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,260 of 6,385
  Just upgraded my stock cable to a Q French silk (1.5m length) on my LCD-3.  A bit surprised for such a notable change. I thought the stock cable gave me a pretty decent balance. No major complaints about imaging or soundstaging (I personally think HD800 is a bit over the top on the latter)  but probably my chief complaint was the supressed attack. It's as if the headphone was fighting back on fast transcients.  Well, all that pretty much disappeared with the cable upgrade. Huge improvement in imaging, some in soundstaging.  Had an interesting impact on overall balance though -- that huge meaty bass lightened up and everything pushed towards the treble.  Overall, very pleased, but will take an effort to readjust my ears again.  But does make me wonder, did they tune LCD-3 to sound darker with the stock cable, or is the intended signature the brighter flavor of aftermarket cabling?

What color did you get?  I've had my Q for a while now, but there are days that I still wonder if I should have got red.

But yeah, you hear the difference instantly.  It surprised me too.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,261 of 6,385

What color did you get?  I've had my Q for a while now, but there are days that I still wonder if I should have got red.

But yeah, you hear the difference instantly.  It surprised me too.

I've got the blacks. Personally, I don't mind the dark color. I think it works pretty well, although brown probably would have looked more natural.

What's the length of your cable. I deliberately chose one with short length because I thought it would sound a bit better. Now that I think about it maybe a longer one would have given me a different bass-treble relationship.

Now I wonder how the Q stacks up against other aftermarket cabling. I've heard great things about it and it's nearly have the price of most alternatives.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,262 of 6,385
Ok I got my LCD-3 based set up done for now .
Berendsen cd-1 --> morrow cable --> Decware CSP3 --> ALo Studio six --> Toxic silver Poison --> LCD3

the set up is amazing - had a good 3 hours session on it today , csp3 still burning in .
my bad luck is my cd player might be in its last leg .... what a timing .

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,263 of 6,385
  I've got the blacks. Personally, I don't mind the dark color. I think it works pretty well, although brown probably would have looked more natural.

What's the length of your cable. I deliberately chose one with short length because I thought it would sound a bit better. Now that I think about it maybe a longer one would have given me a different bass-treble relationship.

Now I wonder how the Q stacks up against other aftermarket cabling. I've heard great things about it and it's nearly have the price of most alternatives.

I have a 1.5m brown cable.  I don't know if length makes a sound difference or not.

Berendsen cd-1 --> morrow cable --> Decware CSP3 --> ALo Studio six --> Toxic silver Poison --> LCD3

the set up is amazing - had a good 3 hours session on it today , csp3 still burning in .

Grats, screwdriver.  Bet it sounds nice.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,264 of 6,385

The studio six was my favorite amp that I ever heard the LCD-3 with. I have yet to hear the LCD-3 balanced drive. What exactly does it change, if anyone knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back