Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #2,041 of 6,385
That's what I figured I am hearing. I didn't hear that the with my previous DT-990s due to the recessed mids and brightness. I have similar new stuff that sounds fine but there is some that just sounds like there is a blanket thrown over it.

I'm not too good at describing what I hear but that's about the best I can do. The mids just sound like they've ran amok.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2,042 of 6,385
  might not have the volume range for HE-6 that people like me might need.

quiet recordings or loud listeners, i don't think its the best choice. also the EF-6 costs as much as a good speaker amp (like those awesome first watt amps everyones talking about 
biggrin.gif
)

if you are talking about the EF-6 I have never gotten above 12 o'clock with the HE-6 and I listen quite loud.... 

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,043 of 6,385
  might not have the volume range for HE-6 that people like me might need.

quiet recordings or loud listeners, i don't think its the best choice. also the EF-6 costs as much as a good speaker amp (like those awesome first watt amps everyones talking about 
biggrin.gif
)

When you said you don't think its the best choice - you mean the EF6 is not or the master 8? For some reason i thought thought those first watt amps were 3k. I must have a look at those now. The EF6 would be handy for me because they are sold in the UK at a good price. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,044 of 6,385
  I use the EF-6 for both the HE-6 and LCD-3's....it does a wonderful job with both. It also sounds great with higher impedance dynamics like the T1 and HD-800's. Sounds good but not optimal with lower impedance phones. The EF-6 doesn't get the love it deserves IMO...

+1 I agree.  I liked the EF-6 with the HE-6 the most, then with the LCD-3.  I didn't like it much with the HD800.  Also, I didn't find it laid back, relaxing and slightly distant at all until I played with the switch on the back.  Also it has plenty of volume range on the knob for the HE-6.  Not a lot of play with the LCD-3s..

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2,045 of 6,385

+1 I agree.  I liked the EF-6 with the HE-6 the most, then with the LCD-3.  I didn't like it much with the HD800.  Also, I didn't find it laid back, relaxing and slightly distant at all until I played with the switch on the back.  Also it has plenty of volume range on the knob for the HE-6.  Not a lot of play with the LCD-3s..

You have a first watt? What is that like for LCD3 and HE6? 

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2,047 of 6,385

Perfect for the HE-6.  Pretty good with the LCD-3.  I like the GS-X mk2 better with the LCD-3.

Would you say that its better than the EF6 for lcd3?

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2,049 of 6,385
I just read Skylabs review of the EF6 where he talks about how it sounds with HE6 and LCD3. I think the deal my be sealed for me. You guys have probably already read this but here is the link anyway. ¬¬

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/hifiman-ef-6-headphone-amplifier-page-2

I love when he says that he preferred it to the red wine audio audeze edition. 

Compared to the Red Wine Audio Audeze Edition, when driving the LCD-3, the EF-6 is a little more laid back sounding. The RWA AE, which I liked enough to buy, is a bit more forward sounding, especially in the mids. Keep in mind here I was using the RWA's DAC section for BOTH amps, so the only difference was the amplification (also note that I use an SPL meter to level match when doing comparisons). I found that I slightly preferred the EF-6 as the amp, although the sound either way was first rate. But the EF-6's smoothness was beguiling.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,051 of 6,385
  ^I love the EF-6 but ....and it's a big but .....it is single ended front to back. There is a courtesy 4 pin XLR output but it still delivers as single ended. 

im fine with that, i don't have a balanced dac. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #2,052 of 6,385
preproman, how would EF-6 compare to the first watt that you use?

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,053 of 6,385
  preproman, how would EF-6 compare to the first watt that you use?

With the HE-6?   I'll take the First Watt all day long.  Still, the EF-6 does better than all the "Headphone: amps I've heard.  I have not heard the HE-6 on any audio-gd headphone amps though.  

The Master 3 and the HE-6 sounds great.  Speaking of Audio-GD, he's at it again..  I thought he was going back to a conventional vloume knob - I guess not.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-9/Master-9EN_Tech.htm

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,054 of 6,385

With the HE-6?   I'll take the First Watt all day long.  Still, the EF-6 does better than all the "Headphone: amps I've heard.  I have not heard the HE-6 on any audio-gd headphone amps though.  

The Master 3 and the HE-6 sounds great.  Speaking of Audio-GD, he's at it again..  I thought he was going back to a conventional vloume knob - I guess not.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-9/Master-9EN_Tech.htm

blink.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2,055 of 6,385
I've been listening to my LCD-3s for a week now and I find myself impressed yet let down at the same time. Some of my music sounds incredible, but some of it sounds messy.

The stuff that sounds a mess is a lot of the newer metal that I like. It seems like all I am hearing are the mids and no treble. I would like to assume it is just the mastering but I am not sure.

I listen to a lot of modern metal, rock and punk albums. There are plenty of albums that are well recorded in the underground music metal scene, but for the most part mastering leaves something to be desired. Mind you I listen to about 200 new metal/rock/punk albums a year and I'd say that around half of the recordings are lower than optimal. Still music you enjoy is music you enjoy
L3000.gif

The notable thing usually is that the recording of drums and cymbals utterly sucks. I tend to go toward a brighter headphone here to make up for it. The bass on many metal albums is weak and leaves a lot of be desired.

In this case it isn't the headphone but the mastering. I know I don't have the LCD3's but I've got the LCD2r2 and the problem is there a fair bit. Mine is one of the newer "unveiled" models, or at least the treble is much more elevated than older LCD 2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back