Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #181 of 210
Quote:
The difference between the LCD2 and LCD3 actually has little to do with bass and mostly to do with high-frequency detail and extension.

Agreed, with the addition of detail throughout and extension at both ends.  The LCD-3 adds dimension, timbre and depth of sound -- I don't mean sound stage... the sound of each instrument and voice is just more full or 3-D without being flabby, if that makes sense -- across the spectrum.  Attack and decay are incredibly life-like.  On a good recording, the LCD sounds like you are right there with the musicians (vs. the HD-800 which puts you in the mid-back of the orchestra section).  The LCD-3 is just a better headphone than the -2, and I'm driving mine with the headphone jack of a >20-yr.-old SS pre-amp.  The question is whether the -3 is 2X better, and that's totally up to the individual's choice.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #182 of 210
Quote:
Agreed, with the addition of detail throughout and extension at both ends.  The LCD-3 adds dimension, timbre and depth of sound -- I don't mean sound stage... the sound of each instrument and voice is just more full or 3-D without being flabby, if that makes sense -- across the spectrum.  Attack and decay are incredibly life-like.  On a good recording, the LCD sounds like you are right there with the musicians (vs. the HD-800 which puts you in the mid-back of the orchestra section).  The LCD-3 is just a better headphone than the -2, and I'm driving mine with the headphone jack of a >20-yr.-old SS pre-amp.  The question is whether the -3 is 2X better, and that's totally up to the individual's choice.

Unfortunately, I've found that my LCD3s make mediocre recordings sound worse than my LCD2s. Oh well--can't have everything.

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #183 of 210
That's the rub.  You can pair the LCD-2 with just about anything and still have a good experience.  The LCD-3 though can make some 'great' gear sound poor and some recordings just unlistenable.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #184 of 210
Quote:
Unfortunately, I've found that my LCD3s make mediocre recordings sound worse than my LCD2s. Oh well--can't have everything.

Quote:
That's the rub.  You can pair the LCD-2 with just about anything and still have a good experience.  The LCD-3 though can make some 'great' gear sound poor and some recordings just unlistenable.

Yep...when I wrote my comparative review last year, this was one thing I noticed almost immediately. They sing with a synergistic rig and good recordings. But feed them sub-par recordings and Garbage In = Garbage Out. The LCD-2s were more forgiving (and in turn, less transparent). Funny how the LCD-3s are similar to the HD800s in this regard.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #185 of 210
Quote:

Yep...when I wrote my comparative review last year, this was one thing I noticed almost immediately. They sing with a synergistic rig and good recordings. But feed them sub-par recordings and Garbage In = Garbage Out. The LCD-2s were more forgiving (and in turn, less transparent). Funny how the LCD-3s are similar to the HD800s in this regard.

Do you find that this also is true in comparing 320kbhps mp3s vs. lossless files?  I've always had to strain to hear the difference between the file types, but I'm wondering if the LCD-3s, in your opinion, accentuate the differences?  thanks in advance for your response

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #186 of 210
Quote:
Do you find that this also is true in comparing 320kbhps mp3s vs. lossless files?  I've always had to strain to hear the difference between the file types, but I'm wondering if the LCD-3s, in your opinion, accentuate the differences?  thanks in advance for your response

Funny, you're the second person to ask me this tonight: 
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588429/audeze-lcd-3-appreciation-thread/180#post_8867618

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #187 of 210
Quote:

I don't know about 320kpbs files, but with the LCD-3s, you can DEFINITELY hear the difference between 192kbps files and FLACS.  I had some stuff I got from other folks, just to see if I liked it enough to buy the CDs, which I then ripped, since it's easier than going and getting the CD to play.  I can't even listen to the MP3 files any more, they sound like crap compared to the FLAC.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #188 of 210
Quote:
Quote:

My headphones are far from high end and I can notice the difference on some music, MP3 is a poor format in my opinion. (Not intending this as a slam, I just don't care for the format in general.)

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #189 of 210
Quote:
I don't know about 320kpbs files, but with the LCD-3s, you can DEFINITELY hear the difference between 192kbps files and FLACS.  I had some stuff I got from other folks, just to see if I liked it enough to buy the CDs, which I then ripped, since it's easier than going and getting the CD to play.  I can't even listen to the MP3 files any more, they sound like crap compared to the FLAC.

I used to be obsessed with FLAC until I did a blind test with 320kbps. I simply could not tell the difference. 192kbps, different story.

Nonetheless, I still use FLAC for archiving, maybe there will be a new "lossy" format in the future and I want to convert from the lossless file.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #191 of 210
It's not the cost, it's the unwieldyness, the time it takes to transfer multiple files etc. And of course if you want to use a media player you're limited to those that accept FLAC, and even then you have to load your files onto a flash drive, which is going to have to be at least 16gb because each of your song files is the size of an elephant, remember. And it could all have been so easily avoided with 320 MP3.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #192 of 210
Phew~ read the whole thing because I wanted to justify wanting the LCD 3 over the LCD 2 dispite the 1k difference. Gotta go back to my local headphone store and try both again.

I also did a blind test with the Wav vs 320 thing and I noticed that I could tell the difference with Rock(what I listen to the most), but not Jpop or Anime songs. I thought I could tell the difference in between classical music, but my results didn't really justify that.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #194 of 210
How do the LCD3 sound with the Lyr amp? That one has self-adjusting topology that aligns ouputs to match high-impedance phones or say the 50 to 60 ohms impedance of the Audeze cans equally well; along with plenty of power it would seem this would be a good amp to drive the LCD2 or 3s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back