Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Aug 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #166 of 210
That's definitely a slope I plan never to even consider, but I can see how it makes sense logically to 'aim high', I can only conclude that the folk behind this review of Audio Note's Ongaku share your 'death or glory' mindset ! Some truly scary numbers in there. 

To help exploit the potential of the Ongaku as much as possible, 47 Laboratory’s PiTracer CD transport served in this review as the reference source in the respective company of Audio Note’s own $65k DAC5 Signature, the $34k DAC5 Special and Wadia’s $10k 27ix v3.0 Decoding Computer. 

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=362

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #167 of 210
Quote:
MY headphone amp is the Violectric V200. I just read the opinion that the V200 is "very bad" with the LCD-3. Given the many comments that the LCD-3s require a good Source, would the collective minds here like to comment on the success or failure should I be interested in purchasing the LCD-3 whilst using the V200?

I owned the V200 for about a year, first with the LCD-2 rev 1 and then with the LCD-3 (original and RMA'd versions).  I liked the V200, especially for its size and price, but IMO it's a bit too warm and congested for the Audeze models I had, especially considering that warmth and a less-than-expansive soundstage seem to be inherent weaknesses of Audezes.

I tried the V200 first with the Lavry DA-10, which was fairly neutral but lacked a bit of realism and excitement, and may have contributed to the constricted soundstage.  I then tried the V200 with my current source, the PS Audio PWD MKII, which is much more resolving, natural, dynamic, and 3-dimensional than the DA10.  The V200 was better with the PWD, but still seemed a bit too boomy in the bass and imaging seemed a bit dull and lacking focus.  Those issues have disappeared with the Liquid Fire, which is by far the best (and most expensive) amp I've heard with the LCD-3.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #168 of 210
Quote:
That's definitely a slope I plan never to even consider, but I can see how it makes sense logically to 'aim high', I can only conclude that the folk behind this review of Audio Note's Ongaku share your 'death or glory' mindset ! Some truly scary numbers in there. 

To help exploit the potential of the Ongaku as much as possible, 47 Laboratory’s PiTracer CD transport served in this review as the reference source in the respective company of Audio Note’s own $65k DAC5 Signature, the $34k DAC5 Special and Wadia’s $10k 27ix v3.0 Decoding Computer. 

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=362

Actually funny you mention that... last weekend I spent an extended session listening to a 47labs PiTracer -> Kondo M1000 preamp -> Kondo Gakuoh monoblocks -> Avantgarde Trios (which unlike were you normally see them, are in a really well done listening room).

But yeah, that level of dosh expulsion is a new level of esoteric.
I can't even pretend to play at that level of the spiral; I can't seem to perfect the daily strut required to pull it off convincingly.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #169 of 210
Quote:

I owned the V200 for about a year, first with the LCD-2 rev 1 and then with the LCD-3 (original and RMA'd versions).  I liked the V200, especially for its size and price, but IMO it's a bit too warm and congested for the Audeze models I had, especially considering that warmth and a less-than-expansive soundstage seem to be inherent weaknesses of Audezes.

I tried the V200 first with the Lavry DA-10, which was fairly neutral but lacked a bit of realism and excitement, and may have contributed to the constricted soundstage.  I then tried the V200 with my current source, the PS Audio PWD MKII, which is much more resolving, natural, dynamic, and 3-dimensional than the DA10.  The V200 was better with the PWD, but still seemed a bit too boomy in the bass and imaging seemed a bit dull and lacking focus.  Those issues have disappeared with the Liquid Fire, which is by far the best (and most expensive) amp I've heard with the LCD-3.

Thanks for the insight.

Anyone else like to share their experiences?

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #170 of 210
Quote:

While I've not owned the V200, I've heard it several times. Really good amp and especially at the price. But that said, your comments about its pairing with the LCD-3s and subsequent pairing with the LF is spot on too with how I hear it. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #174 of 210
I would say Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #175 of 210
Quote:

Agreed. 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #176 of 210
The LCD-3 sounded great with the O2 + ODAC. I'm not sure it would make a difference spending $1k if an amp is already transparent and powerful enough. Maybe extra features?

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #177 of 210
Quote:
I'd say put your money into the amp, like a Woo WA22, and go for the LCD-2's. You can always upgrade later. Thanks.

Except... You also can get the LCD3's and a $1K amp and upgrade the amp later. Not really an argument for one approach or the other.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #178 of 210
Fair enough; I just think the amp is SO important and from what I have read, the difference between the LCD-2 and 3 has mostly to do with bass. Having not heard the LCD-3's, I can't say for sure. I just think getting the amp right is key because otherwise no pair of headphones will sound satisfying. Just my $0.02 worth, though.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #179 of 210
Quote:

Yep. I hear the LCD-3 with the Schitt Mjolnir amp make for a killer combo.

Quote:
The LCD-3 sounded great with the O2 + ODAC. I'm not sure it would make a difference spending $1k if an amp is already transparent and powerful enough. Maybe extra features?

I've used the O2 with the Ref 7.1 in the past and no doubt the O2 is a fantastic portable amp for the price but it is not as resolving as other higher end amps. When I got my WA22 I was surprised at how much of a step up the WA22 was over the O2. There was just better resolution, detail and depth with the WA22. So yes, the LCD-3 will respond to better, more resolving amps but you can upgrade along the way just as I did. Before I got the WA22, I was quite happy with the O2 paired with the LCD-3 but when I found out what I was missing, I could not go back to the O2.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #180 of 210
Quote:
Fair enough; I just think the amp is SO important and from what I have read, the difference between the LCD-2 and 3 has mostly to do with bass. Having not heard the LCD-3's, I can't say for sure. I just think getting the amp right is key because otherwise no pair of headphones will sound satisfying. Just my $0.02 worth, though.

The difference between the LCD2 and LCD3 actually has little to do with bass and mostly to do with high-frequency detail and extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back