Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot?
Aug 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #151 of 210
HE-6 from the speaker taps on the dual mono power amps and your Audez'e orthos / dynamic cans from the headphone out on the T-35HP. Win-win. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #153 of 210
The verdict is that no two Head-Fiers can quite agree on whether class D is a good thing. Similar threads at Audiokarma and the 'gon, FWIW - you either love them or hate them, apparently. Plenty of folk seem to have made up their minds without having actually heard anything beyond a T-amp - I guess it comes down to 'audition, audition, audition'. Same as anything else. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609853/class-d-heaven-or-hell

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #154 of 210
Quote:
The verdict is that no two Head-Fiers can quite agree on whether class D is a good thing. Similar threads at Audiokarma and the 'gon, FWIW - you either love them or hate them, apparently. Plenty of folk seem to have made up their minds without having actually heard anything beyond a T-amp - I guess it comes down to 'audition, audition, audition'. Same as anything else. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609853/class-d-heaven-or-hell

How about using Class D amps to drive the HE-6 of the speaker taps?

Aug 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #155 of 210
I have a beyond good Source in the Yamaha GT 2000 turntable (include in the term 'Source' here my $2900 cartridge and $1500 phono stage).

MY headphone amp is the Violectric V200. I just read the opinion that the V200 is "very bad" with the LCD-3. Given the many comments that the LCD-3s require a good Source, would the collective minds here like to comment on the success or failure should I be interested in purchasing the LCD-3 whilst using the V200?

I agree wholeheartedly that quality headphones require a top-notch Source. I have found the LCD-2s (in conjunction with the V200) to be the finest 'electron-microscope' for assessing the set-up of my turntable (Qualifier: That I have ever used). Even the tiniest change is as obvious as a poke in the eye.

I know that opinions are what they are, and I know that the LCD-2(rev.2) and Violectric v200 is not THE BEST combination that is out there, nor do they suit all tastes. Having said that, I do wonder sometimes when someone doesn't like either or the combination, whether their Source is up to scratch.

Aug 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #157 of 210
Quote:

The Talisman T-35HP is a spectacular dynamic amp... I kinda regret selling mine.
I compared it to the balanced b22 after I built it and the similarities were surprising.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #159 of 210
Quote:

Well, if someone would hand me a stick I think we could quickly test that out.

biggrin.gif

I'll keep an eye out for one.  8^)

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #160 of 210
Quote:

The Talisman T-35HP is a spectacular dynamic amp... I kinda regret selling mine.
I compared it to the balanced b22 after I built it and the similarities were surprising.

Its interesting that Marcus and a few (other) Aussie owners are the only folk who seem to have owned the Talisman headphone amps outside of Europe - at least the only ones prepared to use a keyboard. I dont think posting review snippets which describe the presentation as 'limpid' have helped spread the word. 
eek.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #161 of 210
Dude I notice you have the T2... How much did you pay for in total?
Quote:

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #165 of 210
$2k was around the price of just the chassis and a beer on the way to the post office to pick it up.

As for the Talisman, yeah it really is a shame that they aren't better known.
It was Marcus's and his customers impressions on their forum that convinced me to try it in the first place.
Marcus uses/used the Alessandro MS-1 with it I think.
At the time I wanted the same unit but with out the preamp... they had no stock but did have one of the more expensive HP and offered it at a price match; suffice to say I jumped.
It was my first headphone system (well apart from Sony buds and a cheap mp3 player) that took me through undergrad: Talisman T-35HP, HeadRoom Ultra Micro DAC, DT880 pro.

A rather epic downward sloping spiral to the t2  
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back