Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #5,206 of 7,331
I just got my LCD-2C and have been comparing it to my Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany powered by the Mojo Chord running USB-Dac from my computer. I have to say... I'm kinda disappointed w/ the Audeze. I'm getting better bass prescence and power from the Fostex, and even though the mids are a bit more forward, it's also more engaging on the Fostexs.

Am I doing this wrong? Do I need to upgrade the amp in order to get more out of the LCD-2Cs. I almost want to say because it's a bit more rolled-off than the Fostex, I'm not getting as much clarity and resolution compared to the Fostex.

Listened to following FLAC:

Mariah Carey - Underneath the Stars
Mariah Carey - Fourth of July
Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next,
Blackpink - Boombayah
Childish Gambino - Redbone
Kendrick Lamar - Redbone
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
Blackpink - Kill this Love
They are very different sounding, completely different type of headphones. You can't really A/B compare a closed back dynamic can and an opened back planar...

First of all Mojo is a brilliant device, but not really enough to drive the 2C adequately. You won't get the bass performance it is capable of from a full sized amp.

The X00 is a fun sounding headphone with elevated and punchy bass and elevated treble. Recessed mids and a very forward, almost aggressive sound and a slightly cramped soundstage. It easily strikes inexperienced ears as the more exciting sound at first.

The 2C is a more mature sound that needs proper amplification. It sounds airy, neutral, natural and balanced in comparison. Also relaxed compared to the X00. With proper amping and enough time to adjust to the sound you will discover that the bass is more accurate and better balanced. The mids come alive but the treble is bit rolled off. I couldn't listen to X00's sharp treble.

Ultimately it is personal taste, perhaps you are not at a point in your journey yet where you can fully appreciate an opened planar sound.
These two headphones however are very different too. The 2C is technically on a much higher level but you need an amp with it.

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #5,207 of 7,331
They are very different sounding, completely different type of headphones. You can't really A/B compare a closed back dynamic can and an opened back planar...

First of all Mojo is a brilliant device, but not really enough to drive the 2C adequately. You won't get the bass performance it is capable of from a full sized amp.

The X00 is a fun sounding headphone with elevated and punchy bass and elevated treble. Recessed mids and a very forward, almost aggressive sound and a slightly cramped soundstage. It easily strikes inexperienced ears as the more exciting sound at first.

The 2C is a more mature sound that needs proper amplification. It sounds airy, neutral, natural and balanced in comparison. Also relaxed compared to the X00. With proper amping and enough time to adjust to the sound you will discover that the bass is more accurate and better balanced. The mids come alive but the treble is bit rolled off. I couldn't listen to X00's sharp treble.

Ultimately it is personal taste, perhaps you are not at a point in your journey yet where you can fully appreciate an opened planar sound.
These two headphones however are very different too. The 2C is technically on a much higher level but you need an amp with it.

What amp do you recommend that I can pair with the Mojo that's under $300?

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #5,208 of 7,331
I don't really know amps from that price range. Perhaps the budget line of Schiit?
Others might be able to suggest something.

Jul 13, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #5,209 of 7,331
Mojo is compressed sounding, not a good match for the 2C as it doesn’t have a lot of balls to put it straight; poor impact. The 2C benefits from an amp that has a lot of impact, think Lyr 2, Moj 2, Jot to name a few. The Fostex is a dynamic so more mid bass bloom so the bass will sound more overpowering. The Classic has a more textured, extended and clean bass. Listen to songs that have a lot of deep bass like Daft punks doing it right. You’ll notice the heft and sustain compared to the Fostex. Listen to the bass control on the Audeze, the pitch differentiation. A well driven 2C is a monster, they don’t scale well IMO but pairing matters.

Heck grab yourself a cheap Magni 3 and you’ll notice a difference. Ditch the Mojo grab an SDAC.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #5,211 of 7,331
What about the Chord MOJO + Burson Fun with either V6 Classics or Vivid Opamp?

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #5,212 of 7,331
I have a schiit magni3, a monoprice(cavalli) liguid spark,and an objective 2. They all work quite well with the lcd2c.
Keep in mind though, no matter which amp you use, you're not going to get the same bass as you're getting with your closed back dynamic headphone.The same goes for the treble.
The lcd2c is a different type of headphone with a completely different sound signature than you're used to.

Jul 14, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #5,213 of 7,331
I have a schiit magni3, a monoprice(cavalli) liguid spark,and an objective 2. They all work quite well with the lcd2c.
Keep in mind though, no matter which amp you use, you're not going to get the same bass as you're getting with your closed back dynamic headphone.The same goes for the treble.
The lcd2c is a different type of headphone with a completely different sound signature than you're used to.

Yeah, you're right. I was at Schitt Audio today, and unless I added the Loki, which is a hardware equalizer that allows me to pump up the bass and mid-bass, I can't get the kind of hard thump that I had w/ my Fostex, even on higher end Schitt amps:

https://www.schiit.com/products/loki

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #5,215 of 7,331

A vintage speaker amp does these justice..................I run mine out of the speaker taps of a low power Pioneer SA-608 and it is excellent

Jul 15, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #5,216 of 7,331
A vintage speaker amp does these justice..................I run mine out of the speaker taps of a low power Pioneer SA-608 and it is excellent

Hi Oregonian, I’m using a similar setup as yourself running from the speaker taps from a paramount Zamp V2, are you using a resistor type box from the taps or are you using special cables coming straight from the speaker taps.

Cheers Marty.

Jul 16, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #5,218 of 7,331
Hi Oregonian, I’m using a similar setup as yourself running from the speaker taps from a paramount Zamp V2, are you using a resistor type box from the taps or are you using special cables coming straight from the speaker taps.

Cheers Marty.

Straight out of the taps, no resistor box. Just start with the volume all the way off when powering up and go up from there.

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #5,220 of 7,331
Oh Really, good to know as I’ve been using a resistor box, did you get the cables especially made with bananas or are you using some sort of adapter.

Cheers Marty.

Had a cable made by Ted@Headphone Lounge that has tinned speaker tap connector wires to XLR.................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back