Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #5,191 of 7,334
After getting my Sendy Aiva and Klipsch HP-3 I felt like the 2C was sounding dull and muted was a lot less micro detail. Today I started to listen to them for much longer than I have been and they started to sound like the 2C I remember. It just took my brain longer to adjust back to their sound signature. They sound great again and to think I was going to sell them but now I'm happy to keep them. They're a great change of pace headphone compared to the Aiva and HP-3 which are brighter.

Jun 26, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #5,192 of 7,334
I don't know if it's differences in setup, but I can't see how anyone would compare any LCD Audeze to the HD650. They're completely different presentations: the HD650 being more intimate and mids centric. The LCD series not having as pronounced mids, but more extension in lows and highs. I think the "house" Audeze sound shines with instruments such as drums: which can go down to low frequencies with kick drums and with the planar transients, you get a nice metallic sound with cymbals. When it comes to value, you could find the sale price for the 2c cheaper. But you can regularly find B-stock 2fs (complete with hard shell case), for $800.

I find the fazors to add some nice refinement and prominence in the upper mids: so I agree with the consensus reviews that says the 2fs have more clarity and separation in the mids (and might be more appropriate with acoustic music). I'm settling on it as my all rounder (I also have tube mode, balanced, and a bass setting if I wanted to add warmth...though I find even SE without any added warmth, it still has impressive bass extension). When it comes to the 2c, its considered well balanced but slightly warmer with less detail (but more exciting and well controlled for pop and rock).
Yes they’re different headphones in terms of presentation but FR and resolution, micro detail etc are not a product of Frequency response, hence my comments on that particular area.

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #5,193 of 7,334
Does anyone know which pads make the treble smoother? I owned these before, but I'm thinking of getting them again because I want a dark, relaxing headphone with great bass. However, there were some nasty lower/mid treble peaks that would make me cringe.

I thought that this would be solved with the Ether 2, but it's almost the exact same issue.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #5,195 of 7,334
I am selling my less than 3 months old LCD2C, link in my signature if interested. EU only.
Don’t do it. I was about to sale mine, spent one last evening with them...and they’re now staying for the time being. It seems you’re happy with the Meze’s. I had them on loan for 3 weeks and while I liked them, the 2C have something they don’t and that’s the impact and dynamics you rarely find in a planar. I found they had better smoothness in the treble but I like the edge the 2C have it does add a bit more energy.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #5,196 of 7,334
Don’t do it. I was about to sale mine, spent one last evening with them...and they’re now staying for the time being. It seems you’re happy with the Meze’s. I had them on loan for 3 weeks and while I liked them, the 2C have something they don’t and that’s the impact and dynamics you rarely find in a planar. I found they had better smoothness in the treble but I like the edge the 2C have it does add a bit more energy.
I like the 2C, I think they are the best headphones under £1000. But to my ears they are not even comparable to the Empyrean. The Empy just crushes them in every possible way, even in bass delivery.

After the Empy the 2C sounds hazy, flat and boring. The Empy is much cleaner, much more detailed, IMO has much better dynamics and impact. And does all these TOTL level technicalities in a very musical, entertaining and engaging manner which is rare.

It is no contest for me. And no contest for most reviewers.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #5,197 of 7,334
I like the 2C, I think they are the best headphones under £1000. But to my ears they are not even comparable to the Empyrean. The Empy just crushes them in every possible way, even in bass delivery.

After the Empy the 2C sounds hazy, flat and boring. The Empy is much cleaner, much more detailed, IMO has much better dynamics and impact. And does all these TOTL level technicalities in a very musical, entertaining and engaging manner which is rare.

It is no contest for me. And no contest for most reviewers.
I’m glad you’re happy. I was underwhelmed with the Empy if I’m honest. I would say it was more detailed than the 2C I don’t find the 2C particularly detailed anyway as you know. You’ll think I’m mad but I think the HD650 on the Eddie Current Zana Deux is better than the Empy in resolution, detail and timbre however worse in bass clarity.

The 2C I find better in the bass but also my LCD-2C is cherry picked as I’ve heard some that sounded hazy and rough and lacking micro detail. The Empy is bloody beautiful though. I’m on the fence with it. I might get it back here for another week or so. The Empy I find very in-coherent, funny enough I never saw measurements of them until I notice issues with the mid to treble transition like it was tuned by two different people so had a look and they confirmed what I heard.

In the end though what I think don’t matter as we have our preferences etc.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #5,198 of 7,334
I’m glad you’re happy. I was underwhelmed with the Empy if I’m honest. I would say it was more detailed than the 2C I don’t find the 2C particularly detailed anyway as you know. You’ll think I’m mad but I think the HD650 on the Eddie Current Zana Deux is better than the Empy in resolution, detail and timbre however worse in bass clarity.

The 2C I find better in the bass but also my LCD-2C is cherry picked as I’ve heard some that sounded hazy and rough and lacking micro detail. The Empy is bloody beautiful though. I’m on the fence with it. I might get it back here for another week or so. The Empy I find very in-coherent, funny enough I never saw measurements of them until I notice issues with the mid to treble transition like it was tuned by two different people so had a look and they confirmed what I heard.

In the end though what I think don’t matter as we have our preferences etc.
You seem to have very peculiar preferences, but as long as you are happy that's fine.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #5,199 of 7,334
You seem to have very peculiar preferences, but as long as you are happy that's fine.
Unfortunately the subtle details stand out heavily to me, not always the best trait to have as it’s hard to enjoy a lot of stuff.

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #5,200 of 7,334
I'm falling in love with the 2C all over again. After getting the Sendy Aiva and Klipsch HP-3 I wasn't using the 2C much and when I did it sounded underwhelming. The other day I decided to only use the 2C so I could get a custom to them again and boy did it work. They don't sound dull like they were and even the detail retrieval sounded much better. It's funny how one day the headphone just doesn't sound good but on another day with the same one on the same setup they sounds so much better.

Jul 6, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #5,201 of 7,334
I'm falling in love with the 2C all over again. After getting the Sendy Aiva and Klipsch HP-3 I wasn't using the 2C much and when I did it sounded underwhelming. The other day I decided to only use the 2C so I could get a custom to them again and boy did it work. They don't sound dull like they were and even the detail retrieval sounded much better. It's funny how one day the headphone just doesn't sound good but on another day with the same one on the same setup they sounds so much better.

Interesting that no change in equipment or no additional burn-in would make them sound better. All I know is that I rotate headphones on a regular basis and change my favorite over and over. Hey, just like craft beer, you can’t stick with IPA’s or one brand all the time!

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #5,202 of 7,334
Interesting that no change in equipment or no additional burn-in would make them sound better. All I know is that I rotate headphones on a regular basis and change my favorite over and over. Hey, just like craft beer, you can’t stick with IPA’s or one brand all the time!
Very much agree, i tried the lcd2c and really liked them, was going to buy a pair. But then, i got to try the hifiman arya, was gonna buy that, then tried the focal stellia, liked it more than the utopia, but then didnt like it anymore and went back to lcd, i tried the lcd2 closed, then i really liked it (but its heavy...) then the sony z7m2... grrrr so hard to decide.

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #5,203 of 7,334
Hey guys, Just a question. For the LCD-2 Closed (new iteration with aluminium cups and new headband.) do you know if there have been any mods to make it lighter? like carbonfiber cups instead of the aluminium one? I know audeze sells a carbon fiber headband but would that even help much?

Jul 11, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #5,204 of 7,334
The most recent change to the Fazor was done in late 2016.

Classic is more dynamic, more of a guilty pleasure type sound with a thicker body, less lean and grainy. The 2F has more perceived air, treble is cleaner and overall sound is cleaner. 2F isn’t lush at all so those looking for old Audeze sound which was lush and romantic will be best going for the 2C which carries that sound to a degree more so than current models.

I find the 2F to really struggle with dynamics and the way they present the human voice is odd, sounds strained, like it can’t present them in a natural manner so the timbre is way off, very odd timbre. Classics timbre is nice, not quite Old Audeze but much better than current Fazors. The Classic has a rich full bodied vocal presentation but there’s a few peaks that can make them a bit unrefined , slightly grainy but this is minor.

Classic resolves better too. 2F poor bass pitch differentiation while the Classic has a clean, full bodied bass response with great impact for a Planar magnetic.

no it is not correct.
the latest lcd2f is 2018. i had it last year, asked audeze on fb and they told me it wasn't the 2016 driver anymore (the one i wanted at that time).
lcd2c and lcd2f 2018 are almost identical since the driver is the same but with the fazor. maybe a little more refined sound. more similar than different anyway.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #5,205 of 7,334
I just got my LCD-2C and have been comparing it to my Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany powered by the Mojo Chord running USB-Dac from my computer. I have to say... I'm kinda disappointed w/ the Audeze. I'm getting better bass prescence and power from the Fostex, and even though the mids are a bit more forward, it's also more engaging on the Fostexs.

Am I doing this wrong? Do I need to upgrade the amp in order to get more out of the LCD-2Cs. I almost want to say because it's a bit more rolled-off than the Fostex, I'm not getting as much clarity and resolution compared to the Fostex.

Listened to following FLAC:

Mariah Carey - Underneath the Stars
Mariah Carey - Fourth of July
Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next,
Blackpink - Boombayah
Childish Gambino - Redbone
Kendrick Lamar - Redbone
Daft Punk - Get Lucky
Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
Blackpink - Kill this Love

Users who are viewing this thread

Back