Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #5,222 of 7,334
This is what I made to listen my headphones through a pair of Zamps V3. Each of the Zamp's are in bridged mode.
66960413_1109352959256270_5614911686382190592_o.jpg

66960413_1109352959256270_5614911686382190592_o.jpg

Aug 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #5,225 of 7,334
One thing that is bothering me about the 2C is over time their faults are becoming more apparent and it can get annoying. I do think I’m lucky and judging by hearing other people’s 2Cs is I’ve got a legit grade A unit, resolving and microscopically detailed but the timbre is so off compared to more natural sounding headphones like the Aeolus, HD650. Even my Beats Solo 3 have a more natural timbre. I have been leaning to more portable headphones lately and recently acquired the Audeze Sine which is a better headphone than the 2C. What draws me in with the 2C is the Uber clean bass, on tracks with deep bass notes they seem to appear out of nowhere with a deep detailed rumble. It’s impossible to keep just one headphone these days.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #5,226 of 7,334
One thing that is bothering me about the 2C is over time their faults are becoming more apparent and it can get annoying. I do think I’m lucky and judging by hearing other people’s 2Cs is I’ve got a legit grade A unit, resolving and microscopically detailed but the timbre is so off compared to more natural sounding headphones like the Aeolus, HD650. Even my Beats Solo 3 have a more natural timbre. I have been leaning to more portable headphones lately and recently acquired the Audeze Sine which is a better headphone than the 2C. What draws me in with the 2C is the Uber clean bass, on tracks with deep bass notes they seem to appear out of nowhere with a deep detailed rumble. It’s impossible to keep just one headphone these days.
I think the 2Cs faults only become apparent if you start to compare them to slightly higher-end headphones. Aeolus has better timbre and tone but doesn't have that planar bass for example... I know HD650 is your holy grail but it just doesn't do it for me. Nice mids and tone but that's about it. Bass roll off breaks the deal in my case.

Interesting input on the Audeze Sine, as far as I know they have just stopped producing these.

For me the first headphone that does everything I want and has a better bass than the 2C is the Empyrean. Not cheap but I don't need other headphones beside it. From EDM to classical it just nails it. Pretty incredible. (I know you didn't like it much.)

On a side note, haven't you already sold most headphones in your signature?

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,227 of 7,334
I think the 2Cs faults only become apparent if you start to compare them to slightly higher-end headphones. Aeolus has better timbre and tone but doesn't have that planar bass for example... I know HD650 is your holy grail but it just doesn't do it for me. Nice mids and tone but that's about it. Bass roll off breaks the deal in my case.

Interesting input on the Audeze Sine, as far as I know they have just stopped producing these.

For me the first headphone that does everything I want and has a better bass than the 2C is the Empyrean. Not cheap but I don't need other headphones beside it. From EDM to classical it just nails it. Pretty incredible. (I know you didn't like it much.)

On a side note, haven't you already sold most headphones in your signature?
When switching from my HD650 to my 2C I do notice the lack of body in the mids and bass impact and things seem more grainy, distant and less engaging but there’s a gain in speed, low notes appearing. I wouldn’t say the HD650 is my holy grail but I do consider it a headphone that still to this day doesn’t have an upgrade path. The Sine is a good headphone it has a more dynamic like timbre. You need a good seal.

I had the Meze Empy on loan for a while twice and I ended up disliking it thought it was a mess especially in tone and overall frequency response. I thought the bass was less clean, than my 2C. Yeah I did sale a lot of the phones in my sig I haven’t updated it for a while.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #5,228 of 7,334
When switching from my HD650 to my 2C I do notice the lack of body in the mids and bass impact and things seem more grainy, distant and less engaging but there’s a gain in speed, low notes appearing. I wouldn’t say the HD650 is my holy grail but I do consider it a headphone that still to this day doesn’t have an upgrade path. The Sine is a good headphone it has a more dynamic like timbre. You need a good seal.

I had the Meze Empy on loan for a while twice and I ended up disliking it thought it was a mess especially in tone and overall frequency response. I thought the bass was less clean, than my 2C. Yeah I did sale a lot of the phones in my sig I haven’t updated it for a while.
Out of curiosity what gear did you use to try the Empyrean? It is just quite unusual to read such a negative opinion on them when pretty much all the well-established reviewers are raving about these. Having this many 5 star reviews for a headphone at this price is uncommon even in a world that loves to hype new products.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #5,229 of 7,334
Out of curiosity what gear did you use to try the Empyrean? It is just quite unusual to read such a negative opinion on them when pretty much all the well-established reviewers are raving about these. Having this many 5 star reviews for a headphone at this price is uncommon even in a world that loves to hype new products.
Dacs:

SDAC
Bifrost
Gumby
Modi 3
Yggy

Amps:

Black Widow
WA6SE
Rag
Liquid Spark
Vali 2

This hobby is scared to post honest reviews of products I find. An example is the Elear it was terribly metallic and sucked out in the mids yet all this reviewers posted silly comments like it was a HD650 on steroids which died down rather quickly. Reviewers are more pressured into a positive review these days I think Tyll and Marvey were the only two big named people in this hobby who wouldn’t hold back.

I trust my own ears more because I only use stuff I know as a reference and avoid all the flavour of the month hype. It is a subjective hobby though so just cause I don’t like it doesn’t mean others won’t. I do know that when a headphone cost 3 grand it shouldn’t have timbre issues. I’m not just pointing at the Meze here there’s too much overpriced underperforming gear out there like the majority of the chord gear.

The only headphone I actually think sounds good that has come out this year is the Verum 1. It’s not as resolving as the Meze Emp but it has a better FR and a way better tonality IMO.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #5,230 of 7,334
Dacs:

SDAC
Bifrost
Gumby
Modi 3
Yggy

Amps:

Black Widow
WA6SE
Rag
Liquid Spark
Vali 2

This hobby is scared to post honest reviews of products I find. An example is the Elear it was terribly metallic and sucked out in the mids yet all this reviewers posted silly comments like it was a HD650 on steroids which died down rather quickly. Reviewers are more pressured into a positive review these days I think Tyll and Marvey were the only two big named people in this hobby who wouldn’t hold back.

I trust my own ears more because I only use stuff I know as a reference and avoid all the flavour of the month hype. It is a subjective hobby though so just cause I don’t like it doesn’t mean others won’t. I do know that when a headphone cost 3 grand it shouldn’t have timbre issues. I’m not just pointing at the Meze here there’s too much overpriced underperforming gear out there like the majority of the chord gear.

The only headphone I actually think sounds good that has come out this year is the Verum 1. It’s not as resolving as the Meze Emp but it has a better FR and a way better tonality IMO.
I agree on your comments regarding the Elear but respectfully disagree on the Empyrean comments.
It is a personal hobby afterall.
Happy listening!

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #5,231 of 7,334
Aug 6, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #5,232 of 7,334
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #5,233 of 7,334
Aug 7, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #5,235 of 7,334
Audeze’s product line is a mess at the moment. The only products they currently have that sound decent are the Sine, LCD-4 and 2C for those who want better value. It also comes across as they’re not confident in their product line they’re becoming like Hifiman in the sense they’re popping out a new headphone every month and charging silly prices for the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back