Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #4,921 of 7,334
@omniweltall will be pleased to hear, that I am rebuying the 2C. :)

I have had a long audition of the LCD2f, LCD3, LCD4, ZMF Aeolus, Verite, Atticus, Eikon, HD800S, Empyrean.

My impressions on the ZMF line you can read in the Aeolus thread. Here I am going to share my experience with the LCD line.
As a start I have to say the Empyreans are the perfect headphones for me, the best I have heard so far. I will have to save up for them. Everything else is a compromise after hearing them.
Also, this audition made me realise what a great value the 2Cs are. Yes, the mids and treble are not perfect on the 2C, but not bad either. The bass is perfect though. And I also like the character of them: exciting, energetic, but smooth and easy at the same time. This is rare.

LCD2f - mids are nicer and better balanced compare to the 2C, thanks to the fazor technology. Bass is less, treble sparkle is less. They do sound pretty close though, I would say the choice is only a matter of personal preference. I prefer the 2C for its bass.

LCD3 - I didn't like these. I think with the LCD2 Audeze has created something special. I found this 'specialness' lost with the LCD3. Much less bass, even compared to LCD2f, and not a very exciting character.

LCD4 - very good sound. I obviously preferred this sound versus the LCD2C, but have to say, not by a huge margin.
Also, these are just extremely heavy. Might sound great, but the weight is a deal breaker for me. Significantly heavier than LCD2.

HD800S - it was actually a pleasant surprise, at least out of TT2/MScaler. A very 'hi-fi' kind of sound. Precise, spacious, well-balanced, transparent. I did miss a bit more energy in the bass and the treble sparkle was a bit too much for my personal taste.

Empyrean - the best headphones I have ever hear. (For me.) I simply can't find any fault in them. Ticks all the boxes, hits all the sweet spots. Easily beats LCD4 everywhere. Still not cheap though.

HEXV2 - I still love these, versus the 2C they are softer, much more spacious and more lifelike with better mids and treble. After a while however they can be too soft and too laid back sometimes. I need a bit more excitement and focus from the 2C even though that comes with other kind of small compromises.

The 2C punches well above its price, they are one of the beast deals out there these days. They are far from perfect, but until I can afford the Empyrean, they will be just fine. :)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #4,922 of 7,334
Welcome back! We almost lost you there LOL.

@betula, if you're interested, try swapping the pads into Dekoni velour. I did it last night...finally....after much reservation. The FR improved quite a bit. It becomes more balanced from top to bottom. But I still prefer the feel of the stock pads. It is prob my fav pads in terms of comfort. So thick and smooth.

I also see that you have been trying out lots of gears lately. Good for you! It is great for comparisons.

LCD4 - very good sound. I obviously preferred this sound versus the LCD2C, but have to say, not by a huge margin.
I had the same impression as well. I really liked the LCD-4, but not by a big margin from the 2C. It is not worth the extra price.

HD800S - it was actually a pleasant surprise, at least out of TT2/MScaler. A very 'hi-fi' kind of sound. Precise, spacious, well-balanced, transparent. I did miss a bit more energy in the bass and the treble sparkle was a bit too much for my personal taste.
Without EQ-ing the bass, there will always be something missing from the HD800(s). Wait till you try boosting that bass and add a tube amp to thicken that thin mid. It is my benchmark for summit-fi can.

Empyrean - the best headphones I have ever hear. (For me.) I simply can't find any fault in them. Ticks all the boxes, hits all the sweet spots. Easily beats LCD4 everywhere. Still not cheap though.
I didn't try this one yet. I'm getting mixed impressions. People either love 'em or hate 'em. Not sure why. It sure looks great though. Prob one of the best looking can I have seen lately.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #4,923 of 7,334
Thank you for the review & extensive comparisons here and on the other thread, Betula. I am interested in the ZMFs and LCDs, but the price of entry for being where it is, it's very helpful to see them being compared - especially since my favourite (with my limited experience) has become the LCD2c. Perhaps the Atticus is a nice but costly replacement for my AFC...

On the LCD2c front something happened....this weekend I picked up my custom build McChanson 6EM7 tube amp (2x2W, class A, single ended triode, very neutral) and that improved my enjoyment of the LCD2Cs very nicely!
With it, it's got more space and depth to the soundstage, less treble grain, easier separation, deeper and more textured sub bass, less fatiguing - and really with no draw backs that I noticed otherwise - the EQ didn't change. It still has the attack / impact / detail / heft that the Violectric has.. but it's made a leap to feeling there's very little in between me and the music/ voices/ instruments... so it seems these LCD2c's scale very nicely (I was unimpressed with the v30+, Aune X7s for example)
OI000083.JPG

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #4,924 of 7,334

I have had a long audition of the LCD2f, LCD3, LCD4, ZMF Aeolus, Auteur, Atticus, Eikon, HD800S, Empyrean.

My impressions on the ZMF line you can read in the Aeolus thread. Here I am going to share my experience with the LCD line.
As a start I have to say the Empyreans are the perfect headphones for me, the best I have heard so far. I will have to save up for them. Everything else is a compromise after hearing them.
Also, this audition made me realise what a great value the 2Cs are. Yes, the mids and treble are not perfect on the 2C, but not bad either. The bass is perfect though. And I also like the character of them: exciting, energetic, but smooth and easy at the same time. This is rare.

LCD2f - mids are nicer and better balanced compare to the 2C, thanks to the fazor technology. Bass is less, treble sparkle is less. They do sound pretty close though, I would say the choice is only a matter of personal preference. I prefer the 2C for its bass.

LCD3 - I didn't like these. I think with the LCD2 Audeze has created something special. I found this 'specialness' lost with the LCD3. Much less bass, even compared to LCD2f, and not a very exciting character.

Also, these are just extremely heavy. Might sound great, but the weight is a deal breaker for me. Significantly heavier than LCD2.

HEXV2 - I still love these, versus the 2C they are softer, much more spacious and more lifelike with better mids and treble. After a while however they can be too soft and too laid back sometimes. I need a bit more excitement and focus from the 2C even though that comes with other kind of small compromises.

The 2C punches well above its price, they are one of the beast deals out there these days. They are far from perfect, but until I can afford the Empyrean, they will be just fine. :)

I always appreciate your opinion, as we have a very similar goal in the end. As far as sound signature is concerned. I myself am currently concentrating and wasting money on the little things, Getting more proper cables for my 2C's and the rest of the system and with that I am also probably going to get RME ADI 2 DAC as it is just the perfect DAC for me. I have never really considered any dac's as they all are pretty unimpressive with the features. But RME with EQ is exactly what I need. Now 2C sound perfect on their own, with the right volume on a perfect recording. But when it comes to relaxing and poor recordings, I rather turn the volume down and EQ the bass up a bit. And now that I have cut my hair, the Seal of the earpads are back and I have Velours on order. A lot of changes at once probably not wise, but oh well.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #4,926 of 7,334
Thank you for the review & extensive comparisons here and on the other thread, Betula. I am interested in the ZMFs and LCDs, but the price of entry for being where it is, it's very helpful to see them being compared - especially since my favourite (with my limited experience) has become the LCD2c. Perhaps the Atticus is a nice but costly replacement for my AFC...

On the LCD2c front something happened....this weekend I picked up my custom build McChanson 6EM7 tube amp (2x2W, class A, single ended triode, very neutral) and that improved my enjoyment of the LCD2Cs very nicely!
With it, it's got more space and depth to the soundstage, less treble grain, easier separation, deeper and more textured sub bass, less fatiguing - and really with no draw backs that I noticed otherwise - the EQ didn't change. It still has the attack / impact / detail / heft that the Violectric has.. but it's made a leap to feeling there's very little in between me and the music/ voices/ instruments... so it seems these LCD2c's scale very nicely (I was unimpressed with the v30+, Aune X7s for example)
AFC and Atticus are very different, I would say polar opposites. AFC is a neutral polite sounding headphone while the Atticus is bold with huge bass tuned for fun.

The 2C does indeed scale very well. I have never heard them so great as they were out of the TT2/MScaler combo.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #4,927 of 7,334
Been using the LCD-2Cs with a Fiio M9 until recently. Bought an iFi iDSD Micro BL this week though and stacked it with a Note 3 as I was tired of the Fiio's sluggish UI. What a difference in sound from the LCD-2Cs using a more powerful source! The cans really come alive with more watts of power. Love the depth and clarity of the bass.
IMG_20190406_222624.jpg
qzs8zz7

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #4,928 of 7,334
AFC is a neutral polite sounding headphone while the Atticus is bold with huge bass tuned for fun.
Exactly why it needs replacing :) And thank you.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #4,930 of 7,334
Been using the LCD-2Cs with a Fiio M9 until recently. Bought an iFi iDSD Micro BL this week though and stacked it with a Note 3 as I was tired of the Fiio's sluggish UI. What a difference in sound from the LCD-2Cs using a more powerful source! The cans really come alive with more watts of power. Love the depth and clarity of the bass.

qzs8zz7
I found the iFi iDSD Micro a bit too too bright as I cranked the volume last year when I had it....is BL like that ?... though I guess it would balance out a bit the way the 2C is.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #4,931 of 7,334
I found the iFi iDSD Micro a bit too too bright as I cranked the volume last year when I had it....is BL like that ?... though I guess it would balance out a bit the way the 2C is.

I wouldn't say it sounds particularly bright, especially with these cans. I usually have the bass boost on as I mostly listen to the darker EDM stuff. The highs sound clear, but not overbearing.

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #4,932 of 7,334

qzs8zz7

Nice, glad you like the bl with the 2c. Should be getting my Bl in tmr. I'm thinking that my 2c with the bl will be my main desktop setup for sometime

Users who are viewing this thread

Back