1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Oct 7, 2017.
First

Back
243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252
254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263
Next

Last
  1. Sound Eq
    i had to learn it the hard way by buying and trying them myself, but do not fret as I always set the bar very very high for anything that takes my stamp of approval :).

if you never listened to an lcdx or HE HE1000 V2 then of course you might like atticus, but it was as well the impression of a friend of mine who as well owns over 10 totl flagships, we could not get to the point to give the atticus the stamp of approval :), we just said yeah its ok good for some genres

now if you want a real end game headphone just buy a Hifiman HE1000 V2 and be done with everything, that headphone simply is the best I ever heard in everything period, and it is light so no issue with weight, and it is way way way better than lcd X

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. chimney189
    Hm, which LCD would you guys say is the best for jazz, orchestral and classical?

By the way, updating to the Dekoni Velour pads takes away ANY shouty-ness that was present with the original pads.
    Furthermore, the comfort is improved in my opinion.

3. phthora
    I like the X or the 2F the best for those genres. Neither does brass instruments perfectly, but separation, imaging, and sonic weight (which I feel people overlook when pairing a headphone to classical music) are excellent. The X more so, of course.

The non-LCD EL-8 does an excellent job with that music and does so perhaps in a more expected way, i.e, more delicate, ethereal, crisp, and clean. Brass sounds much more realistic too.

4. Sorgiulio
    Hi guys, my current setup is McBook, Topping D10, Schiit Loki Mini, Little Dot 1+, LCD-2C.
    I know the D10 is a cheap one but I'm very happy with this DAC for now, same with Loki. My doubts are on the amp: no problem about power, I never get passed 9-10 o'clock and there's plenty of power to drive the LCD 2C. But what about sound quality? I've never tested the headphones with a more expensive amp so I'm not sure i'm doing LCD 2C justice. Would my Audeze benefit from a better amp in terms of SQ? I was looking at the Asgard 2, would this be a good match? Any other recommendation in the same price category? Thanks!

5. BrotherKathos
    I think it all depends on your personal preference as to what kind of sound you are looking for, as well as what you have personally heard before as a baseline. I’’ve listened to my lcd-2c on a massdrop o2 desktop edition amp, Jds labs El amp, and schiit magni 3. Using a topping d50 which should be close to your dac I found the o2 and El amp very similar. Maybe the only real difference i could tell if any between the two was a more black background between the instruments with the El amp vs the o2. Both powered the lcd enough where i never even got near 12:00 on the knob. Both were deatailed and smooth with plenty of heft down low from the Audeze.

I hated he magni 3. Hated it so much. It made the treble too peaky and the mids were even more shouty than normal on the 2c. I was like you going to get a asgard 2 in the hopes to get a warm amp that was darker than my el amp and o2 that are supposed neutral amps, but I ended up getting the loki instead and after tweaking the highs and mids a bit on the magni 3 I now prefer it over every oher amp with the lcd2c. I might still get an azgard 2 to try, but I’m waiting on a thx aaa linear amp that is supposed to be the king of mid-fi neutral wire with gain amps. I don’t want to end up with more amps than I have a place for. If you do get the asgard 2, let me know what you think.

Sorgiulio likes this.
  6. betula
    In the same price category you can just find slightly different taste of sound, not much difference in overall sound quality. IMO noticeable overall sound quality jump happens in about '£500 steps'. You need to jump to the £1000 category to experience a significant improvement to those £500 DAC/amps in resolution, balance and details. At least this is my experience.
    And another thing to keep in mind is that you need to improve your DAC and amp pretty much the same time. A cheapo DAC will hold back a good amp to shine through and vice versa.

Sorgiulio likes this.
  7. Sorgiulio
    Thanks betula, I suspected this would be the case.
    So, would you say the £250 Asgard 2 or similar in the same price category is not a significant step in SQ compared to the Little Dot 1+, and I'd better save up? In this case, any recommendation for a good amp in the £500 category? Thanks

8. betula
    I don't know your budget, sound preference, ears, but in your case I would rather save up.
    On the other hand you might like the Asgard 2 and think it is a worthwhile change. This hobby is very personal. Trying different gear is part of the fun.
    All I am saying if you want a significant leap in overall sq and not just different sound signatures, you need to jump a category (if you can afford).
    I am pretty sure others will recommend a lot of options around £500, many seem to like the iFi Micro iDSD BL at that price. Lyr3 worth a thought too with multibit.

9. FinBenton
    Sold my 2Cs, dont need 2 different planar at the same time, in the end I prefer Sundaras tighter and brighter sound a lot more.

10. phthora
    Do some research on the Asgard 2. It is generally thought to be rather warm-sounding and may not match well with the already warm 2C. I don't own either, so I won't advise one way or the other, but look into it.

Sorgiulio likes this.
  11. betula
    Happy for you. Most of us feel the opposite way in this thread.

koover likes this.
  12. chimney189
    Has anyone been able to compare the Classic to HiFiMAN HEX (V1 or V2)?

13. Sorgiulio
    I eventually went for the Arcam rHead. Found a good deal for a new one here in UK and should arrive tomorrow. By reading the very few but all positive reviews of the Arcam this should be a good synergy with the LCD2C. Well, I'll have the whole weekend to find out

14. betula
    Looks like a decent little budget amp. Good luck with it!

Sorgiulio likes this.
  15. BrotherKathos
    No, but I hooked my loki and magni 3 up with my he-400i and played around a bit and ended up with a sound I REALLY like even compared to my lcd2c. The loki seems to have been tailor made to bring out the best in the he-400i. Crank the bass to 3:00 the mid-bass to 1:00 and treble down to 10:30 and you've got a sound profile that hits harder than the lcd2c in the lows while being close to dead even in reproduction across the rest of the range. whether its treble mid-bass or mid-range, they all seem to be reproduced at the same level allowing you to hear everything that is going on without one specific element of the song overshadowing another. All hail the glories of eq. I do have the dekoni fenestrated pads though so that also is making a difference. Waiting on an asgard 2 for my mimby and lcd2c. The o2 is filling in for the moment there hehe.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
First

Back
243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252
254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263
Next

Last