1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by XERO1, Oct 7, 2017.
First

Back
244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253
255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264
Next

Last
  1. sfleming
    I listened to the HEX V2 at CanJam '17 for a while and loved it, and own and thoroughly enjoy the LCD-2C.

The HEX's are really wide sounding, whereas the LCD-2C not so much. This is a HEX strength for sure, along with it being both intimate and dynamic at the same time. I was hoping to listen to it again this year at RMAF, but it's no longer in the Hifiman line-up. The Hifiman booth was really active all day the day I was there, and only got to listen to the new HE6 and I was sort of ho-hum about it tbh.

The 2C's have a sound that you can listen to for a long while - sexy, cool, relatively well-extended (albeit a tad grainy on some treble if you are trying to nitpick). The cans themselves can get a little tiresome in that I feel like I have to physically adjust them on my head or on my ears to get them 'comfortable again'. Maybe this is a product of the weight. I don't recall that with the HEX.

Additionally, the 2C cable is frankly annoying to the point where I may build or buy a different one. It's microphonic for sure, and just doesn't seem to relax in the my listening space. It's probably way too long for my needs for one thing.

-Steve

chimney189 likes this.
  2. sfleming
    oh, forgot to add I'm using a Mojo which I'd say is a good pairing with the LCD-2C.

Thx,
    Steve

3. chimney189
    I appreciate the response.

How would you compare the bass between them?

4. betula
    Mojo is pretty great with the 2C, but doesn't quite drive them to their full potential. I was a big Mojo fan until I discovered some better full sized amps, DACs. Of course, it all depends on your budget and the level of improvement you are willing to pay for, but in my experience Mojo drives the 2C to very enjoyable but mediocre levels compared to higher quality full sized desktop rig.
    Mojo already destroys some cheaper desktop rig, so we are talking about a wide range of 2C performance here: the 2C scales very, very well.

What I have experienced in using better desktop DACs/amps compared to Mojo is pretty much everything tbh... Improved bass, treble details and extension, better overall clarity, resolution, separation dynamics, punch, extension, transparency...

Some reviews write down the 2C too early using average or cheaper gear. This headphone does scale very well. Give them some really powerful and clean source and all that darkness and initial haze/lack of transparency and definition will be lifted in a nano second. All that remains from the raw character of the 2C is the easy listening, gentle-to-the-ears treble, great and punchy bass and exceptional-value-for-money overall performance. You'll get a strong performer with one of the best bass if you are willing to give them what they deserves source-wise.

Edit: My rule of thumb is if you want to get the most of each and every component of your gear they have to worth more or less the same. Headphones, amps and DACs we are talking about here as three main components. If you want the most of your 2C (£599) you better aim for a £1200 DAC/amp system. But this is true for pretty much any headphones, amps and DACs. At least in my experience.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. sfleming
    Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I still am sort of converting away from being a 2-channel / dedicated room listener to being more of a headphone listener, but I would like to thin out the stereo and getting some $ back before really sinking $ into a head rig. I'll probably turn that corner at some point in the near future - the Crack is a thought for starters I've had a number of successful Bottlehead builds and have always really enjoyed the service.

-Steve

6. sfleming
    I'll admit I don't really recall the Hifiman bass in a particular way. I just remember the natural/ big but intimate sound of them. Your question is one of the reasons I wanted to hear them again honestly, but as I said above they were not at the Hifiman table anymore.

-Steve

7. Eylrik
    Has anyone observed the pads hollowing out at the center of the thickest side of the tranche (see left pad below) ? Does it come from normal use as I've owned them only for a few months...?

IMG_3822.JPG

8. WildStyle-R11
    It's not so pronounced on mine, but I have always seen that kinda indent there, AKA design so they collapse the right way when you put them on. Could be just a batch difference. Also makes a huge difference how you put your headphones on.

9. betula
    Similar to WildStyle-R11 I have always seen this subtle indent on the pads of my 2C. Perhaps not as pronounced as on your pair but it has always been there. How you wear the headphones potentially makes a difference. I wouldn't worry too much.
    IMG_20181024_190918450.jpg

10. BrotherKathos
    I love the LCD2C with the Schiit Asgard 2!

11. Tonza
    Coming back to this, I ended up modifying the strap a bit. Took apart the band and moved the right side leather down a bit. I punched some new holes for the screws with a needle
    and screwed it back together. Now the strap seems to support much more of the weight instead of it hitting the metal band.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  12. betula
    One YouTube reviewer did the same. It might be a good idea if you experience discomfort due to the pleather touching the metal headband. Luckily I don't have this problem. One thing to consider IMO: with this method you put more pressure on the pleather which might cause it to wear out sooner.

13. chimney189
    The treble on this headphone can be really shouty at times.

It's making me consider selling it actually.

Anyone else hearing this?

14. BrotherKathos
    I've only noticed it with my magni 3, but that amp is shouty with everything imo. The schiit asgard 2 is perfect for the lcd2c if you are looking for smooth natural treble with no shouty sound. I've never heard any of your dac/amps though so I really have no idea if you would find what I hear through mine shouty or not. The only comparason I can make to your gear is through the HE4XX since I have the He-400i. My 400i is much shoutier in the treble than the lcd2c. Mylcd2c never has a more pronounced treble than that headphone even with my modded cable and earpads that helped the 400i somewhat there.

15. chef8489
    First I would say none of your gear really drives these to thier potiental or recommend specs.

Second compared to the 800s I would by no means put the treble in shouty category or even compared to the he4xx.

First

Back
244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253
255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264
Next

Last