Audeze LCD-2C Classic - Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #3,811 of 7,331
The treble on this headphone can be really shouty at times.

It's making me consider selling it actually.

Anyone else hearing this?
First I would say none of your gear really drives these to thier potiental or recommend specs.

Second compared to the 800s I would by no means put the treble in shouty category or even compared to the he4xx.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #3,813 of 7,331
First I would say none of your gear really drives these to thier potiental or recommend specs.

Second compared to the 800s I would by no means put the treble in shouty category or even compared to the he4xx.

I find that interesting considering that I've read many opinions that state Audeze products and Burson products are a great pairing!

Also, I find that the treble on the HD 800S is near perfect. I find the problem I'm having with the LCD-2C is that the lower treble seems a bit too accentuated and THEN it drops off considerably.

I'm probably turning the volume too high, but I'm doing so because I want to feel the bass impact and body. <----- this is probably it now that I think about it.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #3,814 of 7,331
I find that interesting considering that I've read many opinions that state Audeze products and Burson products are a great pairing!

Also, I find that the treble on the HD 800S is near perfect. I find the problem I'm having with the LCD-2C is that the lower treble seems a bit too accentuated and THEN it drops off considerably.

I'm probably turning the volume too high, but I'm doing so because I want to feel the bass impact and body. <----- this is probably it now that I think about it.
The lcd2c are an impedance of 70ohms and recommended power of 1-4 watts. The Soloist SL is only capable of putting put 2 watts at 16 ohms.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3,815 of 7,331
The lcd2c are an impedance of 70ohms and recommended power of 1-4 watts. The Soloist SL is only capable of putting put 2 watts at 16 ohms.

So is there an amp that you can recommend for me that is around $250 that would do the LCD-2C justice?

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #3,816 of 7,331
So is there an amp that you can recommend for me that is around $250 that would do the LCD-2C justice?
Let me get back to you on that.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #3,817 of 7,331
I found the LCD2C rather shouty in the mids, not in the treble (on the contrary).
The amp/dac may be the culpritt. The amp quality and juice can have an impact on the low end which can make the mids prominent and shouty.
I use a audio-gd he9, its wonderful but it's expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #3,818 of 7,331
The LCD2C works best with some power. I drive it well with my tube amps Little Dot MKVI+ and La Figaro 339, but I did find the Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon X drove it well for little cost. I am about to grab an Aune X7S that would have power to drive as well, on a budget.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,819 of 7,331
At lower volumes the LCD-2C is SO relaxing, but then the bass impact takes a nasty hit.

I also find that this headphone has a very enveloping sound-stage, but it does lack height. It feels somewhat flat, but for some reason I sometimes prefer it over the HD 800S.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #3,820 of 7,331
The LCD-2C is very source dependent. It scales very well, but it needs powerful and very clean source to shine.
1-4W output power is recommended by Audeze. I have got just under 2W. They definitely need power for clarity and tightness.

I am running them in balanced mode through a Questyle CMA600i replacing the 600i's DAC with a Chord 2Qute. This extremely clean and transparent source lifts the 2C to another level compared to Mojo only.

I am just testing and reviewing the IFI iPurifier 3.0 and I am also using an AQ Jitterbug. Have to say, using these two signal cleaning devices sound almost like I have upgraded my DAC.

There is always higher in this hobby, but you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune for your next upgrade.

Anyway, give the 2C clean power to hear them shine. And stop complaining about the sound if you can't give them the food they deserve.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #3,821 of 7,331
The LCD-2C is very source dependent. It scales very well, but it needs powerful and very clean source to shine.
1-4W output power is recommended by Audeze. I have got just under 2W. They definitely need power for clarity and tightness.

I am running them in balanced mode through a Questyle CMA600i replacing the 600i's DAC with a Chord 2Qute. This extremely clean and transparent source lifts the 2C to another level compared to Mojo only.

I am just testing and reviewing the IFI iPurifier 3.0 and I am also using an AQ Jitterbug. Have to say, using these two signal cleaning devices sound almost like I have upgraded my DAC.

There is always higher in this hobby, but you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune for your next upgrade.

Anyway, give the 2C clean power to hear them shine. And stop complaining about the sound if you can't give them the food they deserve.

AQ Jitterbug + Mojo (or Hugo) are doing a good job driving the LCD-2C and LCD-2C Closed.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #3,822 of 7,331
AQ Jitterbug + Mojo (or Hugo) are doing a good job driving the LCD-2C and LCD-2C Closed.
They do, but there is better.
I was an ultimate Mojo fan but had to admit, good quality full sized powerful gear can blow Mojo out of the water.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,824 of 7,331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back